Royal Randwick This Saturday

jet
The three Group Ones fail to attract capacity fields.
The field sizes in other group races verge on the pathetic.
Is there a solution ? Do the major trainers dominate metropolitan meetings ? Is it that Sydney does not have anywhere near enough class performers for Group Meetings ? Is the scheduling of these races out of whack with Melbourne ?
I truly hope NSW racing can sort this out. Saturday field sizes have been a problem for a while now.
You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

Good to see some fresh faces banging on about what I have been banging on about for years and years.

You are bang on.

A very good argument has been discussed here folks and one can only hope that the powers that be read and take notice of it.
I for one have avoided betting on Sydney events for a while now as most fields don't pay three divs. Also you need big fields to get respectable exotic divvies.

Also who is the genius who programs meetings to almost clash routinely. Last week with just three meetings on a midweek,we saw a twenty minute gap between two and then eight minutes to the next at one point. You guessed it! meetings under way before divs were paying on the previous race.Quite a lot of my friends and I were prevented from loading up using a winning ticket to pay for a bigger bet.

I guess the industry hasn't worked out yet that totes,venues operating TABs and race clubs and all associated staff depend on turnover and margins to fund their cause.

Surely it's a no brainer to have meetings equally spaced to limit time lost to hard to load horses,dumped riders,missing ambulances etc.

Come on racing industry and politicians get your act together and clean this mess up.

Regards, The Pig.

Racing is for Punters

No Punters,, No Racing

Punters in this country have been giving Racing the SLOW 'Turf' for years

Even I, now Punt more Heavily in other Sporting Areas

Race Clubs, just like people on Racing 'Chat' Sites are unable to come to terms of what is actually 'Happening out there'

Outside of Melbourne, Horse Racing is in steady decline throughout Oz

Jet said -

"The three Group Ones fail to attract capacity fields.
The field sizes in other group races verge on the pathetic.
Is there a solution ? "

There are multiple problems, but lets start with the obvious - Why can't a $500,000 handicap attract a full field ?
Because it is not a handicap.

The Metropolitan is a good example. It has a 58kg topweight and 55.5kg limit. A spread of just 2.5kg or 5lbs in the old money. And yet the handicap ratings have a spread of 38lbs.

When you compress the weights to such an absurd degree the result is that horses disadvantaged by the compression (i.e. the lightweights) do not accept and you end up with less than a full field.

Under the current handicapping model the topweight must carry 58kg and if the topweight on acceptances has less than 58kg then weights are raised until he does. In this case Junoob was elevated from 54.5kg to 58kg, a raise of 3.5kg - and everything else was raised 3.5kg as well.

Is there an alternative ? I think so.

Issue the weights proportional to the handicap ratings on acceptances. Everyone knows what the handicap ratings are and the difference between them. In this case on acceptances Junoob would receive 58kg and the weights would be proportioned for the rest of the field on the basis of their rating until the minimum (52kg) is reached. The weights would look like this -

58 JUNOOB (GB)
56.5 BAGMAN
56 SPILLWAY (GB)
55 OPINION (IRE)
54.5 TRAVOLTA (NZ)
54.5 BRIGANTIN (USA)
54.5 LA AMISTAD
54.5 OUR VOODOO PRINCE (GB)
53.5 ARALDO (GB)
53.5 KINGDOMS (NZ)
53.5 WISH COME TRUE (IRE)
53 DEANE MARTIN (NZ)
53 DISCLAIMER (GB)
52.5 TUPAC AMARU
52 IGGI POP (NZ)
52 KHALID (GB)

Note : These weights were calculated on the horses current ratings not their ratings when the actual weights were declared.

We maintain the 6kg spread of the original handicap. The race would be far more attractive to lightweights (i.e. any horse that rated less than 100 or 55.5kg) and a full field would virtually be guaranteed. I would also suggest that the weight spread would be inclined to inject more pace into the race with the lightweights seeking to take advantage of their advantage.

Problem #2 : Why aren't the good horses accepting ?

Of the 20 original top raters that nominated for the race,
- 7 are racing in Melbourne, and 5 of those are stabled in Victoria.
- 5 have broken down or have not come out this Spring
- 2 are acceptors in the Epsom
- 2 were acceptors in the Craven Plate
- 3 are acceptors for the Metropolitan
- 1 (Destiny's Kiss) is racing in NSW but did not accept for the Metrop.

We can't do much about those that have gone amiss, but of the next 5 on the list, all of them are racing in Melbourne, so the first problem seems to be that the Metropolitan is not sufficiently attractive to draw horses up from Melbourne, or keep them in Sydney.

Secondly, if you hold a 2000m WFA race on the same day as a 2400m handicap you are only getting in your own way. 3 Craven Plate runners were nominated for the Metropolitan.

Better prizemoney, more sensible handicapping and more thoughtful programing would make a difference.

A couple of weeks ago we had 1600m and 2000m WFA races on the same card. The decision to take the Spring Champion off the Epsom card and run it the same day as the Caulfield Guineas justs beggars belief.

The one big club appear to have thrown all their resources at the Autumn carnival and practically surrendered the Spring.

It's a pity. The Randwick spring meeting used to be one of the jewels in the crown of Australian racing.

Totally agree, the state of Sydney racing has gone backwards in the last five years.

Small fields dominated by a few select trainers, and now the handicap issue.

The Epsom field is truly awful!

Far too much common sense Tontonan. The compression/weights raised/non-rehandicapping farce continues to be a blight on racing both north and south of the border. Randwick will still produce some good winners but the card is all but a disgrace.

Remember the days when the likes of Northern Meteor would come and Sydney would dominate.

Now Gai telling us she thinks Almalad can beat Rich Enuff around Caulfield... Ha Ha Ha, thats cute.

Jet, I reckon it is time for the ATC to have another round of acceptances say 2 weeks out, to cull all the horses that were early nommes but no longer with any intent to start.

This may give a few more trainers/owners of horses lower in the order entry a greater desire.

The other thing is that the ATC is throwing big money at races in the autumn, and the time honored Epsom and even the Metropolitan are being ignored. They should be million dollar races at least, so that more horses target these 2 races. They are far enough out from the Toorak, Caulfield Cup and Cox Plate to be part of the prep for any hopeful. It's as though the ATC has given up trying to compete with Melbourne.

Galilee, Might and Power and even Cole Diesel, came via the Epsom and there are more examples re the Metro.

None of the above explains the poor field numbers that confronts Sydney metro racing.

Dominating stables - maybe, the over abundance of barrier trials - definitely in my book, the decent prizemoney now available at near metro venues with lesser competition - maybe, the more attractive programming in Melbourne (if this is the case) - maybe, the high cost of ownership, less owners and dwindling horse population - probably although why isn't this a problem in Victoria.

The Group handicap races all over Australia are suffering from the weight compression. This benefits the better quality horses and perhaps this is the aim, but the Toi Port's or Bob Teint's of this world, no longer get a crack at glory. They were both QLDer's btw.

On another note, I went to a luncheon at Randwick a few weeks back, and long time members were complaining about a myriad of issues.

I went to the George Main stakes day and the ticket office opened at 10.30, there were security staff there then and more arrived well before 11am when the gates opened. Why sell tickets so early or vice versa, why not open the gates earlier. On bigger days, I like reserved seating or seating with easy access to betting. The geometry of the new stand is ridiculous, with this in mind as far as I am concerned. The racing experience at Royal Randwick versus Flemington is a no brainer and no prizes to guess which venue is streets ahead.

Has the ordinary wage earner been catered for at Randwick? I don't have all the answers but surely there are solutions.

Gents,

I am glad you brought this up because I have been getting 'negative feedback' when I suggested this recently on another forum. I am a parochial Victorian apparently and how dare I criticize Sydney's one big club and all they have done, etc, etc.

But in the course of defending myself I coughed up a few facts.

The Epsom meeting, the big day of the Sydney carnival, has attracted just 92 acceptors in 9 races for $2.1m in prizemoney.

At Flemington, the curtain raiser metting of the Melbourne carnival has attracted 125 acceptances in 9 races for $1.7m in prizemoney.

$1.4m of the ATC stakemoney has been tipped into 3 Group 1 races - none could muster a capacity field, with only 9 in the Flight (8 now after a scratching) . Neither handicap could muster a full field and the Metropolitan has had the weights raised by a whopping 3.5kg.

The average handicap rating for the Epsom in 98.4 For the Metropolitan it is 97.9.

The Turnbull has a capacity field of 16 with an average handicap rating of 106.4

It hasn't alsways been so. I went back 35 years and had a look at the Sydney spring carnival in 1979. The Epsom meeting had 114 starters in 8 races . 24 starters in the Epsom. The Metropolitan meeting had 119 starters in 8 races. 24 starters in the Metropolitan.

How does racing decline to the point that principal handicaps can't attract capacity fields and they can't get 100 horses together for a 9 race card with $2.1m in prizemoney ?

And 40% of the 92 horses belong to just two stables !

If the one big club is not responsible, who is ?

Just don't ask this question of anyone actually in the one big club. They get very narky.

Todman said:

"Dominating stables...."

Tonto said:

"And 40% of the 92 horses belong to just two stables !"

Therein lies a good deal of the issue I suspect. No good comparing to the TJ era, the much broader weight distribution gave many trainers a crack then. I recall big Randwick miles where bottom weights carried 47/48kg and public holiday meetings (Easter & Oct) were very well subscribed, of course they used to run G1s on those days too. Epsom Day was an incredible program for GF weekend just a few short years ago, now they're spreading it over 3 Saturdays, absolute clowns. This year is the worst program I've seen for this day ever. In the Autumn, the Championships, while a good concept, has been rushed, ill-thought out and ham-fisted. They seem to be in a hurry to create a winning formula by throwing money at it.

I've been a member of the AJC (ATC since, bad move that) for a long time. I'm losing interest in going, in days gone by 20-25 meetings per year, now I'll struggle to justify the annual subs. The love of racing is still as strong as ever but not the attendance, its sad to watch a once mighty club c**k it all up.

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts