|Race 1 - 12:55PM SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS COUNTRY BOOSTED MAIDEN (1200M)|
8. Jody Girl hit the line well on debut behind a smart one at Scone and was a big drifter at Muswellbrook two weeks ago but finished close up. Looks ready for the 1200m and draws to get every chance. Major threat.
Dangers: 11. Wandjina Spirit is lightly raced and while she had her chance first-up she stayed on well from on the pace. Fitter for it, should be right in the finish. 6. Anaro improved into her second run back, same race as Jody Girl, when taking the inside runs from the back of the field which may have flattered her a bit but she's in the mix. 1. Suomenlinna is a 24 start maiden but he's rarely too far away from them. Battled on okay in the same race as Wandjina Spirit last time and could be placed again.
How to play it: Jody Girl E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
|Race 2 - 1:35PM GOOREE PARK BENCHMARK 66 SHOWCASE HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
1. Russley Crown has taken on BM72 races in Sydney so comes right back in class and he should be pretty ready to fire. Form last prep was excellent including a Highway placing and is a good chance.
Dangers: 3. Xcited is a promising type who jumped from a 1400m maiden win to an 1800m BM58 and held them off at Bathurst after leading. No doubts at the trip and probably leads from the inside gate. Logical danger. 2. Iverson might have found the Bega Cup a bit beyond him but prior to that he was dominant at Canberra in a BM60. No surprise to see him take this out. 8. Turgenev was a big drifter in betting at Dubbo last week and didn't fire. Too good for them in a BM50 at Gilgandra and both wins have been at that track. Place hopes.
How to play it: Russley Crown WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
|Race 3 - 2:10PM OATLEY WINES BENCHMARK 66 SHOWCASE HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
2. Petain might be eight but he's racing in great form overall. Chased Island Press at Orange two back and almost got him, forgive his Dubbo run back on a soft track. This race is perfect for him and he should be hard to beat.
Dangers: 4. Diamond Hands comes back to country grade after failing in three run back at Gosford. He's been in the market in all three of them and this will be a good test to see how well he's going. 3. Addictions ran her best race in three runs back when a close second in the Walcha Lightning. Not really any harder and from gate one she will get her chance. 8. Stormy Pluck did a big job to come from near last at Muswellbrook off the outside gate. Forgive his failure on a heavy last time and he's capable of putting himself in the finish.
How to play it: Petain WIN ($4.60 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
|Race 4 - 2:45PM ST GEORGE DRAGONS C1 & MAIDEN PLATE (1600 METRES)|
7. Smartawi was always in control when he broke through at Muswellbrook, enjoyed a nice run behind the lead then dashed away in the straight. No harder here and drawn to be in a similar position.
Dangers: 6. Bias is another coming off an impressive maiden win, he drifted from odds on to $2.40 but held a length on his rivals at Bathurst. Shapes as though a mile will be right up his alley. Big threat. 5. Zoria's Hero has struck form this preparation and backed up his maiden win with a game effort again at Muswellbrook two weeks ago. Another who should relish the mile and is a definite chance. 4. Rupertson was no match for the winner at Bathurst last start but that was two handy efforts on end. Has each-way claims.
How to play it: Smartawi WIN ($3.10 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
|Race 5 - 3:25PM MRC MEMBERS MAIDEN SHOWCASE HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
5. Musical Affair looks close to a win after placings at Tamworth and Bathurst at her past two and boxed on well last time. Might be looking for the 1400m and has found a winnable race. Good chance.
Dangers: 1. Iknowastar was close up at Kembla Grange second-up from a break and this is his best chance to put himself in the finish of a race. Yet to place in five starts and that's the concern at the price. 6. Full Cry was placed at Orange at his third start but hasn't quite been up to it in provincial maidens since then. Easier here, drawn well and entitled to show something. 11. Loch Anton Lady has been around the mark without winning of late and ran fifth in the same race as Musical Affair last time. Has placed at this trip and is in the mix.
How to play it: Musical Affair WIN ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
|Race 6 - 4:05PM XXXX GOLD COUNTRY BOOSTED BM58 SHOWCASE HCP (1400 METRES)|
6. Billiethefillie put a big margin on her rivals in this grade at Bathurst two weeks ago and only rises 2.5kg. Should enjoy a nice run here and every chance she repeats the dose.
Dangers: 3. Girragulang caught the eye at Tamworth two runs back then went to Muswellbrook and was beaten less than half a length in this grade. In good form and sure to be around the mark again. 1. Shylock appreciated the step up to a mile with some extra fitness to score at Parkes leading all the way. Expect he'll go forward and while back 200m is one of the main chances. 8. Hoorini has mixed his form so far in his career but wasn't a bad effort in a Class 2 at Orange in a small field last time. Back in class and not the worst.
How to play it: Billiethefillie WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
|Race 7 - 4:45PM NEWHAVEN PARK CDRA COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS (1400 METRES)|
1. Island Press is clearly the best credentialled horse in the field but he does have the outside barrier to contend with. His last two wins have been in open handicaps at this trip and he's well in under the conditions. If he has any luck he'll be in the finish.
Dangers: 7. How's It Kev ran fourth in this race last year and wound up in the Final where he finished a game fifth. Had a perfect preparation for this race and his run in the Highway last start was solid. Should run well. 4. De Forerunner looked on track for this with a dominant win under 62.5kg at Bathurst two runs back then probably the drop in trip against him there in the Preview. Draw suits him and he will give a good sight. 11. Scopics is a lightly raced three-year-old and it's hard to know where he fits in. Suffered his first defeat in a Class 2 at Dubbo three weeks ago but only by half a length. Keep in mind. 10. Lockdown Gamble ran third in this race last year after leading. Not sure if he's going quite as well but if he does find his best he's capable of featuring.
How to play it: Island Press WIN ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
|Race 8 - 5:25PM DISTINCTIVE FINANCE CLASS 2 SHOWCASE HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
1. Gallant Star would be the likely favourite for the Country Championships at Coonamble in a couple of weeks and he'll be fitter for his solid third in a Highway at Randwick a month ago. In very well with the claim and should be too good.
Dangers: 3. Salisano is unbeaten after two starts so is entitled to plenty of respect. Takes on some hard heads here but she's all upside and if the top weight is to be beaten she's the logical one. 5. Rubiwish led and knocked up over 1000m at Canberra last time out. She broke her maiden status over 1200m at Cowra so the trip should hold no fears. Expect she'll go forward from the gate and could give a sight. 4. Brogans Creek was a shade disappointing last start but not far from Rubiwish three runs back and on that would have some claims.
How to play it: Gallant Star WIN ($1.45 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.