Beat the Weather: Hopes rise for Imperial Cup Meeting

Hopes are rising that the Sandown Betfair Imperial Cup card can beat the weather with frost the chief obstacle to overcome.

Picture: (Alan Crowhurst/Getty Images)

Clerk of the course Andrew Cooper said that the situation has stabilized with the help of solutions for most of the worst areas. Rain has brought three to four millimetres of precipitation and more is expected in the morning. Cooper remarked that vehicles were not on the cards for covering the track due to the wet turf so plan is to use the best available racing lines.

The forecast for Friday night is -2C temperatures so the course will need to pass a Saturday morning inspection. Ground staff will protect vulnerable areas, but the whole track cannot be covered.

Cooper remains positive and hopes that the planned preparation will be sufficient. Horse Racing Ireland has rescheduled the Thurles meeting for Monday and fresh declarations are due on Saturday morning.

Ayr, Leicester and Wolverhampton will inspect on Friday. Hereford faces a 9:30 inspection on Friday due to the snow and Exeter looks to have no issues for Saturday.

With the favorable weather conditions and planned preparation, there is hope for racing on Saturday. All eyes will be on the Saturday morning inspection to determine whether the race card can beat the elements and go ahead.

Racing and Sports