Perth eye late charge to ALW finals after United upset

Perth Glory have stunned A-League Women leaders Western United 3-1, turning in a superb performance to keep their slim finals hopes alive.

Perth Glory are daring to dream of a once-unlikely charge into the A-League Women finals after an upset 3-1 win over leaders Western United.

The Glory took the lead via Susan Phonsongkham's penalty in the 12th minute on Saturday before Emma Robers scrambled an equaliser 10 minutes later.

But Alana Jancevski's magnificent whipped free kick in the 73rd minute proved the difference, handing United just their second defeat of the season, before recruit Hannah Blake added a third in the 96th minute in Ballarat.

Perth sit sixth on 12 points, nine behind fourth-placed Victory but with two games in hand, while newcomers United remain top of the table on 27 points, ahead of Melbourne City (25) and Sydney FC (24).

"We know that every performance is going to matter and every result," coach Alex Epakis said.

"We're really focused on just making sure that when we walk off the field after 90 minutes we've given ourselves an opportunity to get something after the game.

"We don't want to put a ceiling on where that finish is because as we saw last season (when Perth finished fifth), things can go right down to the wire and we just want to put ourselves in the best position to do that again.

"I'm really hoping and really confident that's a season-defining performance because we've got a run of games home to look forward to.

"We're hoping to use the momentum and the positive feeling to really drive us home for the next couple of weeks."

Perth broke the deadlock from the penalty spot after Phonsongkham went on a mazy run through the six-yard box and was brought down by Mel Taranto.

The young midfielder stepped up and converted by steering it into the bottom corner.

United equalised when golden boot leader Hannah Keane, teammate Danielle Steer and Perth goalkeeper Sarah Langman all collided mid-air in an aerial duel and the ball fell to Robers, who had the presence of mind to cooly smash it home first-time.

United spurned a couple of good chances early in the second half while Langman made multiple crucial saves, but Perth restored their lead when Jancevski brilliantly curled an unstoppable free kick past Beall.

Then, with almost the final kick of the game, Isabella Foletta pulled off a magnificent through-ball, which a bursting Blake met then coolly slotted home to seal three points.

"Like I said to the players at the end of the game, I thought it was a very ill-disciplined performance," United coach Mark Torcaso said.

"We didn't take the game on as well as we know that we can.

"We made some really, really poor decisions out of possession, we should have made better decisions in possession."