Roar steal ALW victory with late winner

A late Jessie Rasschaert goal has given Brisbane Roar to a 1-0 A-League Women win over Adelaide United at Service FM Stadium.

A late goal to Jessie Rasschaert has enabled Brisbane to snap its four-game A-League Women winless run with a tough 1-0 victory over Adelaide United at Service FM Stadium.

The Reds dominated possession in Sunday's game and enjoyed the majority of the chances, including hitting the woodwork in first-half added time, but failed to find the net.

Brisbane snatched the matchwinner against the run of play with 12 minutes left, extending United's winless run to seven matches.

Roar coach Garrath McPherson admitted his were under pressure during the match but was thrilled with the resolute performance.

"It definitely wasn't the type of football we've played in the last two weeks," he said.

"We just remained calm and composed and ground out a 1-0 result away from home against a very good team."

Clear opportunities were few and far between in the first half, with the Reds carving out a couple of half chances.

After 21 minutes, Chelsie Dawber latched onto a pass which Jenna McCormick clipped over the Roar defence, but her effort was saved by Brisbane keeper Hensley Hancuff.

Emilia Murray was next to try her luck on 33 minutes, receiving the ball inside the penalty area and shooting on the turn, but her shot was blocked.

Minutes later, Adelaide had a glorious chance to break the deadlock. Nano Sasaki slipped through Dawber and with just Hancuff to beat fired low and hard, but the Roar shot-stopper was equal to the task and saved well.

Brisbane fashioned a good chance just before the break when Katrina Gorry crossed to the back post for Shae Connors, but her header was tame and an easy collect for Annalee Grove.

United's best chance came in first half added time when Sasaki delivered a perfect cross from a free kick on the left wing. Maruschka Waldus rose highest and powered her header towards goal, only for it to bounce off the crossbar and away.

The home side emerged from the restart again looking the most likely to find the net.

On the hour, the Reds had claims for a penalty when Dawber put through Murray and the young attacker burst through the penalty area before tangling with Jamilla Rankin, but referee Bec Mackie waved play on.

Finally, Brisbane broke the deadlock after 78 minutes from a set piece. Hollie Palmer whipped in a free kick from the right flank which Adelaide failed to clear, the ball bounced up and Roar defender Jessie Rasschaert lunged forward, looping a header over Grove.

The Reds pushed for an equaliser and McCormick brought out the best in Hancuff, forcing a stunning save with a 25-metre rocket destined for the top corner.

United coach Adrian Stenta lamented a host of missed chances.

"I was really happy with the performance," he said.

"I feel like we were in control for the majority of it but if you can't put the ball in the back of the net you can't win matches."