R.I.P Rebel Raider

West Coast

R.I.P. Had a heart attack whilst serving a mare. Good stayer...Won two Derbies at G1 level.

Multiple Group 1 winner Rebel Raider dies
Adam McGrath@AdamMcGrath891:34pmN
,(
Rebel Raider has died aged 14.

The multiple Group 1 winner was serving a mare when he had a heart attack and burst his aorta.

The classy son of Reset enjoyed a tremendous career under Hall of Fame trainer Leon Macdonald, winning the 2008 Group 1 Vic Derby at $101 with Clare Lindop in the saddle and also the Group 1 SA Derby in 2009.

"He was a magnificent horse," Macdonald said.

"He absolutely lapped them in the Vic Derby and it's still one of my favourite moments in racing."

Rebel Raider had a total of 21 career starts and won six times while placing in another four, for career earnings of almost $1.5 million.

"He had so much natural ability and talent and I believe he only got better with age," he said.

"He won over 2500m and his last-ever victory was in the Spring Stakes over 1200, which just showed the raw ability and versatility he had."

Retiring in 2011 after breaking down, Rebel Raider was relocated to Wyndholm Park Stud in Victoria for the 2012 breeding season.

Rebel Raider sired three individual Stakes winners, all trained by Macdonald:

• Pretty Punk - 2018 G3 Hobart Cup and 2016 Listed Hill Smith Stakes;

• Waging War - 2017 G3 Chairman's Stakes; and

• Wasabi Bob - 2019 Listed Birthday Cup.

"His progeny are like him, they're so relaxed and have a great temperament," Macdonald said.

"I don't believe he got the mares he deserved either with his credentials, I would have loved to have seen what he could have produced with a top-class mare."

You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

I backed him at 100/1 in the VRC Derby - he promised more but was retired when injured as a 4 year old

He was a good stayer. Had so much potential too

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts