Cheltenham 2014

quezacotl
Not long now, the black is swelling with horses, the weather has been atrocious for the last month and plenty of meetings lost, but our passion has not wavered..

let's relive last years festival highlights..

http://youtu.be/SAYA1sWHPz4

got any mail Patsy..??

You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

Annie Power - Cheltenham 25.01.14

Annie Power: Ruby Walsh will ride the unbeaten
Annie Power to take on Buck's in World Hurdle
By Tony O'Hehir 6:15PM 2 MAR 2014

IT WAS confirmed on Sunday night that Annie Power will take on four-time Ladbrokes World Hurdle champion Big Buck's at Cheltenham in 11 days' time, when she will be ridden by Ruby Walsh, who rode Big Buck's to all of his festival victories.

Annie Power also had the options of running in the Stan James Champion Hurdle or the OLBG Mares' Hurdle, but trainer Willie Mullins said on Sunday connections had decided to bid for the staying hurdlers' crown.

Speaking after racing at Leopardstown on Sunday, Mullins said: "All things remaining well with the horses, this is where things stand. Ruby will ride Annie Power in the World Hurdle. I've spoken with the owners and they are happy with that plan.

"Ruby will be on Hurricane Fly in the Stan James Champion Hurdle and Quevega in the OLBG Mares’ Hurdle."

The majority of bookmakers reacted by cutting her price into joint-favouritism with Big Buck’s at 2-1, although Coral maker Annie Power outright favourite for the World Hurdle at 15-8 (from 9-4), having eased Big Buck’s to 9-4 (from 15-8).

"Although Annie Power will be tackling three miles for the first time next week, she won impressively at Cheltenham over an extended two and a half in soft ground on New Year's Day, and we favour her to extend her unbeaten record under Ruby Walsh in what could be one of the races of the week as they take on the jockey's old ally Big Buck's," said Coral's David Stevens.

The RSA Chase remains the target for Ballycasey despite a schooling fall after racing at Leopardstown. Betfred eased the seven-year-old to 11-2 (from 9-2) at the head of their RSA market following the mishap, although most firms remain at 4-1 or 9-2.

Ballycasey appeared none the worse for the fall and was soon reunited with Walsh, who popped him over an additional fence.
Willie Mullins top trainer Cheltenham - 18.3.11

Mullins said: "Ballycasey seems fine. I'd put the fall down to a bit of inexperience and the RSA remains the plan."

The fall mirrored that of the Mullins-trained Rule Supreme, who failed to complete in a Leopardstown schooling session before going on to land the 2004 RSA Chase under David Casey

Ballycasey schooled with stablemates Djakadam and Boston Bob, both of whom pleased their trainer although decisions about their Cheltenham participation are on hold until later this week.

Mullins said: "I was very happy with Boston Bob. He needed that after being held up a bit at home and we'll work him a couple of times during the week before deciding if he will travel."

Boston Bob is entered for the Gold Cup (25-1), Ryanair Chase (33-1) and World Hurdle (20-1).

Of Djakadam, Mullins said: "He schooled very well but we'll wait a few more days before making a decision. He's in the Arkle, the JLT and the RSA but he just might lack a bit of experience. He's only five and is a horse with a big future."

In a separate schooling session, Champagne Fever - 3-1 favourite for the Racing Post Arkle - jumped well in front under Walsh and led home three stablemates including Felix Yonger.

"He jumped from fence to fence. Ruby said he was absolutely brilliant," said Mullins.

RUBY WALSH has defended Hurricane Fly's record at the Cheltenham Festival and believes the dual Champion Hurdle winner can replicate his stunning performances in Ireland provided he is ridden the correct way.

Hurricane Fly became the first horse since Comedy Of Errors in 1975 to regain the Stan James Champion Hurdle when defeating Rock On Ruby last year but despite two wins and a third in three runs at Cheltenham, many remain unconvinced that the ten-year-old is capable of reproducing his best Irish form in Britain.

Hurricane Fly has not been beaten in Ireland since November 2009 and recently recorded his 19th Grade 1 success in the Irish Champion Hurdle at Leopardstown, a course where he is unbeaten in eight starts.

However, Walsh feels there are genuine reasons why Hurricane Fly has failed to blow away racegoers in Britain and expects the Champion Hurdle favourite to show his true ability this year.

"He was too free the first year. I sat too far back on him the second year - he wasn't 100 per cent - and last year I shouldn't have followed the ones in front," Walsh said. "They were going too fast and I followed them. I shouldn't have.

"Racing is about pace, about judgement. I knew they were going too fast. I should have backed my own judgement and stayed where I was but instead I was thinking of all the criticism I got the year before and I kept following them. That was the mistake I made and the horse got me out of it. It won't happen again.

"If I hadn't followed the pace last year I'd have arrived turning in hard on the bridle and he'd have blown everybody away. But he still managed to win.

"I don't think I've done things right on him at Cheltenham. The day I'll get it right, he'll show England what he's shown Ireland."

Hurricane Fly is 3-1 joint-favourite for the Champion Hurdle with The New One and Walsh is confident that his mount is arriving at the festival at the top of his game.

Speaking to the Irish Examiner, Walsh added: "I think he's in really good form, he's dug in twice to win, beaten Our Conor and Jezki in Leopardstown and I think the two harder races than he usually would have had is going to stand to him and I think he's an outstanding chance."

Teaser Holding Cheltenham

Cheltenham: rain falls on track as festival gets closer
Ground eases slightly at Cheltenham
By Tony Smurthwaite 4:17PM 27 FEB 2014

GROUND conditions eased slightly at Cheltenham on Thursday following overnight rain with 12 days to go until the 2014 Festival.

Those good to soft patches identified on Wednesday had been removed from the advance going description on the chase and hurdles courses.

Simon Claisse, clerk of the course at Cheltenham, said: "We've had a lovely day today with a lot of bright sunshine, as a few showers have gone around us.

"We had 3mm of rain overnight and are soft on the chase and hurdle courses and soft, heavy in places on the cross-country course."

The weather forecast was unsettled, added Claisse, but an opening day going description of good to soft remains the 8-11 favourite with William Hill, who trimmed soft going to 2-1 (from 5-2).

Claisse added: "There is rain forecast tonight of 4-5mm, then dry Saturday and rain on Sunday, dry day Monday, rain on Tuesday, it is that sort of on-off pattern."

Going for first race of festival

William Hill: 8-11 good to soft, 2-1 soft, 6 good, 10 heavy, 200 good to firm, firm

Sprinter Sacre ruled out of Cheltenham Festival
By Rodney MAsters 6:09PM 23 FEB 2014

CHAMPION CHASE favourite Sprinter Sacre will not run at the Cheltenham Festival, trainer Nicky Henderson has told the Racing Post.

Henderson said Sprinter Sacre worked on Saturday with stablemate and Hennessy Gold Cup winner Triolo D'Alene but "is not showing the same brilliance as he did last season".

Sprinter Sacre was a brilliant 19-length winner of last season's Champion Chase and was an odds-on favourite to repeat his victory in this year's BetVictor-sponsored renewal.

The champion trainer told the Racing Post: "Sprinter's work over ten furlongs was all right, and with any other horse you'd think it was fine, but Sprinter is not showing the same brilliance as last season; he is just ten per cent short of that.

"Thankfully his heart is fine and there is no problem there."

Henderson added: "Having discussed options with [owners] Caroline and Raymond Mould, [work rider] Nico de Boinville, who has ridden him every morning for three seasons, and [vet] Celia Marr, who has been monitoring his heart, it was agreed that we should pull stumps for the time being.

"Now we will concentrate on getting Sprinter back next season to the same form he showed last season.

"The plan was to give Sprinter a racecourse gallop at the end of the week, and he still could, but at the back of our minds we know he's not performing to the level of which he is capable."

Sprinter Sacre, unbeaten over fences until his defeat at Kempton, was 4-5 favourite to win the BetVictor Champion Chase for a second time.

In revised betting, Sire De Grugy was promoted to 5-4 favouritism with Paddy Power from Arvika Ligeonniere at 9-2.

"it only insults their own levels of intelligence when they have to resort to posting juvenile snips about something they have no understanding of"

No understanding of?........that would be like you throwing around tips on Australian racing on a thread you started, with bells and whistles blaring about how you'd make a profit at the end of the year.

Crash bang, down you go in a hail of TAB tickets, the bank blown in less than a week.

Then you roll out the mentally challenged excuses and expected everyone to swallow them.

I can't wait to see the multitude of posters giving their thoughts on this thread regarding Cheltenham and no doubt you'll crow like you do when you fluke a winner amongst the dozens of also rans that you tip.

I couldn't think of anything better to do at 3am on a Wednesday morning. Hang on, yes I could, its called sleeping.

Patsy, would you like a tissue?

Get over yourself.

Btw, Budai who was a Gr3 winner in Europe, ran Cirrus Des Aigles to within two lengths and Vision De'tat to a length (beating home Cirrus)

He couldn't win a Maiden Hurdle at Pakenham, so what's your point?

The fact your making comparisons with jumps and flat racing shows your ignorance.

Carry on.

I don't let it bother me Patsy, it only insults their own levels of intelligence when they have to resort to posting juvenile snips about something they have no understanding of...they can stick to their 955m races at the valley...

For me, there is the NH scene, then the rest flows down from that, it's the oldest traditional form of the sport with easily the most excitement and colour.

I know there are plenty here who enjoy this fabulous festival every year, so lets just get on with finding the winners and make a quid..

I challenge anyone who even takes a passing interest in the sport, to have a bet and watch their horse travel around a wrecking yard finally coming up to the second last fence and stumbling, tell me that doesn't put the hairs up on the back of your neck...

Rex I know you follow it closely, how is Paul Nichols yard firing this year..

Will the Irish get it over the poms again ?

Lets hope Quez does better at this year's Cheltenham carnival.
His tipping last year was a total disaster. LOL

Simenon

Who in March 2012 raced at Cheltenham
in a G1 novice hurdle and came 19th
at odds of 50-1.

18 months later comes 4th in the Melbourne Cup.

Vintage Crop who was unplaced at Cheltenham wins the Melbourne cup.

Absolutely clueless and insulting.
Quez don't bother posting re cheltenham on here.

Cheltenham jumps festival, the synchronised swimming of the racing world.

A sure fire way of curing insomnia.

If the forecast is rain leading up to the meeting just keep backing BLACK HERCULES for the bumper on day 2.

I think the highlight on day 1 is the Champion hurdle, it just reeks of class...

1 4-353 GRUMETI

2 11-111 HURRICANE FLY

3 1-1124 JEZKI

4 1-1511 MELODIC RENDEZVOUS

5 21-111 MY TENT OR YOURS

6 111-32 OUR CONOR

7 1-2122 PTIT ZIG

8 12-112 THE NEW ONE

9 32-495 THOUSAND STARS

10 11-111 UN DE SCEAUX

11 11-111 ANNIE POWER

McCoy has to decide whether he'll ride My Tent or Yours or Jezki, personally I think he is stark raving mad if he doesn't ride My Tent.

My tent or Yours demoralized a field in a jumpers bumper at Kempton AW on Saturday, proving to me once and for all he is absolutely flying and might be able to beat Hurricane Fly if the ground is good. If it's a bog then Hurricane fly will have to worry about The New One or Annie power, both very very progressive hurdlers, both very good soft trackers..

This is the race of the day on day 1, an absolute corker.

Un De Sceaux is probably the next big thing in the hurdling ranks, but unfortunately the rumors are that Mullins will not target the champion hurdle, hence his price has inflated out to 15-1...

Be told now though, what ever race he enters, it's game over, this horse is a freak and will kill what ever field he is put against.

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts