Human V Horse

sfewst
Just wanted some input regarding the "upcoming" race at Moree on March 26th.
Last years' Moree cup runner-up "Princess Os" will take on two 'human sprinters': John Shepherd and Grant Custance betwen races. The humans will run 150 metres (75 each) while Princess Os will run 300 metres.
Very good initiative.
gl all
sf
You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

No JD, that would be animal cruelty.

JD

No more than 10 years ago they had a race at Albion Park between a trotter, a greyhound and a human. I think the trotter ran 500m, the greyhound 520m and the human 150m but I can't remember who won though!!!

Bluey,

I wish they would put monkey's on the back of greyhounds, that would be a very funny sight!!!

JD

Wouldn't beat a Quarterhorse..... or Dr Green!

Kenway and Clark Moree will sponsor match-race contestant Princess Os at the Moree Race Club?s huge Easter meeting on March 26.

The company, sponsors of the Moree Cup, has pledged $200 towards the St Philomena?s cultural excursion to Japan, it was announced this week.

Moree?s Royal Hotel has also come on board as match-race sponsors, and will donate meal vouchers to Team Princess and Team Triathlon.

Princess Os, runner-up behind Saranac in last year?s Moree Cup will match strides with Moree Services Cycling and Triathlon Club relay runners Grant Custance and John Shepherd at the Easter Saturday meeting.

"The Princess", to be ridden by Jim Bryans, will start at the 300m while Custance and Shepherd will each run 75m from the 150m mark.

Moree Race Club secretary Bill Poulos said the match-race had created quite a bit of interest in Moree ? and further afield ? since first organised early last week.

"It should be a great spectacle, a lot of people are talking about it," Poulos said.

"I think it?s only fitting too that Kenway and Clark sponsor Princess Os. After all, she finished second in last year?s Moree Cup and Kenway and Clark sponsor the race.

"The Royal Hotel will donate eight meal vouchers which will be distributed among both teams involved in the match-race," Poulos said.

Parents and children from the Japan excursion?s fundraising committee will hold a chocolate wheel at the meeting as well as oversee a jumping castle and organise face-painting for the kids.

"The Easter bunny will also make an appearance and will be handing out hundreds of Easter eggs," Poulos said.

The cycling and triathlon club will also hold a raffle at the meeting, Poulos said.

"The club will sell raffle tickets at the meeting as well as draw it there, probably after the match-race," he said.

"First prize is a $300 gift voucher from Retravision Moree and the second name from the barrel will receive a $100 voucher from Café Omega."

The Easter meeting includes the Royal Hotel open handicap (1000m), KMH Electrical Moree class 5 handicap (1600m), Moree Artesian Dry Cleaning and Laundry maiden handicap (1400m), Chesterfield Machinery Moree class 1 handicap (1200m) and the Gwydir Graphics Commercial Printers maiden plate (1000m).

"Racing on Moree has always been strong, and the support from all our sponsors can only make it stronger," Poulos said.

"It?s great that all these Moree businesses have come together to make the Easter Saturday meeting a great day at the track for the whole family," he said.

Moree Race Club?s huge Easter Saturday meeting is coming together nicely.

Five races are programmed with sponsors including the Royal Hotel, KMH Electrical, Gwydir Graphics, Chesterfield Machinery and Moree Artesian Dry Cleaning and Laundry.

Aussie Kids of Moree will help with a jumping castle and face-painting for the kids and the Easter Bunny will be trackside giving away plenty of Easter eggs.

A planned match-race between two runners from the Moree Services Cycling and Triathlon Club and 2004 Moree Cup runner-up Princess Os is also scheduled.

Runners Grant Custance and John Shepherd will start in relay format from the 150m and 75m on the outside fence and Princess Os, to be ridden by local jockey Jim Bryans, will jump from the 300m against the rail.

In full flight, a horse can gallop twice as fast as a human, so if the handicapper is spot-on, a close finish is expected.

Moree?s own Prince of Starters, Noel Colvin, will get runners on their way.

The five-race Easter card includes a 1000m open handicap, 1600m class 5 handicap, 1400m maiden handicap, 1200m class 1 handicap and a 1000m maiden plate.

Trainers are reminded that acceptances are due a day earlier than normal ? at 10am, Wednesday March 23. Nominations must be in before 10am, Monday March 21.

Lightning Ridge and Tamworth will also race on Easter Saturday. Tamworth will host a five-race card featuring the $5000 Easter Cup (1600m) while the Ridge?s five-race meeting is highlighted by the $5000 Lightning Ridge Cup (1200m).

Early nominations also apply for both meetings.

If Shepherd and Custance have been training at The Royal or Kelly Bar I will back Princess Os.

It's great that the match-race between humans and horse at Moree on Easter Saturday has sparked interest. I'm intrigued to know who "Oliverfan" is though . . . you're obviously from Moree and know where to have a cold one.
For your perusal, following is an "interview" I did with Princess Os this week.
Cheers,
Bill Poulos
Moree race Club secretary

Poulos: What were you first thoughts when approached about taking on two humans in a sprint up the Moree home straight?
The Princess: I couldn't stop laughing for two days. It's the funniest thing I've ever heard of. Those two blokes have no chance, I'll flog them.
Poulos: You'll be giving them 150m start, surely that should make the race interesting.
The Princess: I could give them two laps' start and still win. Are you forgetting that I've finished second in a Moree Cup?
Poulos: Second isn't as good as first though.
The Princess: Hey, don't blame me for that, blame Saranac.
Poulos: Saranac? The winner?
The Princess: Yeah. On cup day he kept trying to chat me up all the way around to the barriers - kept talking about a roll in the hay afterwards, that sort of thing - and really threw me off. I don't know if that was just a ploy, but he was so caught up with all the hype after winning the race I never got a chance to meet up with him. He's not a bad sort either, pity he's gelded.
Poulos: Um, yeah right, but back to the match-race. How will you run it?
The Princess: Flat out as usual. I've got Jimmy Bryans, the so-called comeback kid, to carry as well, but that shouldn't be a problem. Fair dinkum, that bloke has got more headlines in the last couple of weeks than Frederik and Mary from Denmark. Well, let me tell you, after Easter Saturday when Australians start talking about "our princess", they'll be talking about me, not Mary bloody Donaldson.
Poulos: You will jump from a standing start, not the barriers. Will this be a problem?
The Princess: The only reason we're not using the barriers is because Jimmy's head won't fit in them. A standing start won't be a problem though. Mind you, I'd like to see Custance and Shepherd jump from the barriers - that'd be a hoot.
Poulos: Will you wear racing plates or heavy shoes?
The Princess: I could wear high heels and beat that pair, but I'll wear racing plates.
Poulos: You've become quite a celebrity in the lead-up to the race. How are you handling it?
The Princess: Become? Have you been living under a mushroom or something? Didn't you see last week's Moree Champion? I was on the front page for crying out loud. The only reason I was asked to do this was because I'm already a celebrity. In fact, Bob Symonds from Kenway and Clark - they sponsor the Moree Cup - has approached me. He wants to paint the Kenway and Clark logo across my rump. Harry M Miller, my new manager, is working on a contract as we speak.
Poulos: You've got a manager?
The Princess: Yeah. There's even been talk of a recording contract with 2KY Racing Radio and a public speaking tour later in the year. As well as that, Delta Goodrem wants me to do a "Girls on Tour" promo with her next year and there's a chance I'll have a cameo role in Seabiscuit's new movie.
Poulos: Is the Moree Race Club paying you any appearance money for Easter Saturday?
The Princess: No, and I'm a bit dirty on that - so is Harry M. But they've looked after me out at the track, so this is more of a goodwill sort of thing. They're using me to try and get a few more people to the races so I'm only too happy to help.
Poulos: Well, thanks for your time. I hope everything goes well for you on Easter Saturday.
The Princess: That's OK. Will this interview be going in Cosmo magazine?
Poulos: Nat at this stage, but I'll see what I can do.
The Princess: Don't bother. I'll give Cosmo a call myself, I've got them on speed dial.

Very entertaining MRC, Imagine the mail you get being able to speak horse.

Back in the early 60's, a horse named Gili raced a rugby league winger - Ken Irvine I think - at a metro Sydney track. I don't remember the start given but the horse won out over man.

Go the horse.

I saw a race at Gloucester Park in the 80's I think between middle distance runner Alan Thurlow(a human from NZ) and fast class pacer Indian Chant(Fred Kersley driving).The horse ran 2 laps the man 1 lap. Indian Chant won by a very small margin. It really got the crowd cheering.
from euraman

Yes Todman it was Ken Irvine ..a champion player.

This latest promo is a neat bit of marketing and a novel way to getpeople back to the track.

Hope the greyhound people don't resort to putting monkeys on the back of dogs again like they did in Sydney in the 1940s.

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts