Winx vs Northerly

MediaCentral
WFA, 2000m.

Who wins?
You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

April 1st???
Hey isn't this day now better known as April Glady's day?

Gladys,

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Like laying Winx over and over again and expecting a different result. Why would you have EVER contemplated laying Winx, if you insisted time and time again, that she had nothing to beat?

I reiterate, you are one very confused bod and the epitome of CONTRADICTION. What a dope!

Why don't you put down the Australian Stud Book or whatever you read Theklown and visit your local library and read Basic Maths for the Cerebrally Challenged.

I know it will be a struggle but you might learn something.

Winx vs Northerly WFA 2000m.

There is NO comparison between these two horses. To put it bluntly Northerly was beaten far too many times during his career.

Northerly was beaten in 18 of his 37 starts (49%) by 16 different horses.

He was beaten 8/16 times by horses that NEVER EVER went on to win a Group one race in their entire racing careers (50%).

Four out of the 16 horses that beat Northerly NEVER EVER won a Stakes race in their entire racing careers.

Northerly was fine when beating up on the little kids, but became a shrinking violet far too many times when beaten by some pretty unheralded horses.

Hey all you Northerly fans cop this.

To the best of my knowledge:

Winx thus far has had seven starts in G1 WFA races over 2000m for seven wins. This ia a 100% success rate.

Winx has never been beaten in a G1 WFA race over 2000m!

Northerly also had seven starts in G1 WFA races over 2000m for only five wins. This is a 71% success rate.

Further to this Northerly ran second in each of these 2000m WFA races where he was beaten. And in both cases he was beaten by horses that only ever won one G1 WFA races over 2000m in their entire racing careers. That is the only time that they ever won a G1 WFA races over 2000m was when they had the opportunity to beat Northerly.

The subject horses who beat Northerly were Old Comrade & Republic Lass.

Winx vs Northerly, 2000m at WFA?

As the Yanks say: Do the math 100% : 71%

There is NO comparison. Winx wins hands down!

Gladys,

You said: "The fact that Northerly was beaten is an indication of the standard of the opposition that he faced, not an indication of his weakness."

What sort of logic is that? Are you suggesting that the stronger the opposition that a horse is beaten by, in some illogical way proves the strength of a horse NOT its weakness for having been beaten?

I am sure that all the poor b@stard5 who have raced duds over the years will now be feeling much better provided that they now align themselves with your logic. All of a sudden those duds are no longer duds anymore they are horses which were simply beaten by stronger opposition, which according to the Gladys' logic proves the strength of their ability NOT their weakness.

You say: "The fact that Northerly was beaten is an indication of the standard of the opposition that he faced, not an indication of his weakness." Well how's this for an indication of the standard of the opposition that beat Northerly?

Northerly was beaten in 18 of his 37 starts (49%) by 16 different horses. Northerly was beaten 8/16 times by horses that NEVER EVER went on to win a Group one race in their entire racing careers (50%). Digest that FACT for a moment Gladys.

I reiterate this point 50% of the horses that beat Northerly during his entire racing career NEVER won a G1 race in their entire racing careers.

AND Here is another FACT about Northerly's opposition. Four out of the 16 different horses that beat Northerly NEVER even won a STAKES race in their entire racing careers. Digest that FACT for a moment.

I reiterate this point 25% of the horses that beat Northerly during his entire racing career NEVER even won a STAKES race in their entire racing careers.

You have once again proven yourself to be an illogical nong. But, keep on trying, we would all miss the mirth that you provide to us with your silly comments if you were to give up the forum. We are all very grateful for the opportunities that you constantly deliver to us. You are a very valued forum member to us as you continually provide us with the entertainment value that we seek & enjoy by giving us the opportunity of subjecting you to constant & warranted ridicule day after day & week after week.

Given enough attempts "You might even say something intelligent one day, who knows."

How is it that no one has ever been to able to tell us the names of the best horses that Winx has defeated? Just 5 will do.

I think we all know why, well most of us do.

That sums it all up really.

How come nobody wants to answer the pathetic ridiculous challenge you and glad bag (and I notice you’ve resurrected your third nonsensical alias Fairlystup!d) have created?

I’ll give you a clue or two. You said Australian racing is a disgrace. You said Australian racing is corrupt. Yet you still front up on here desperate for someone to answer your nonsensical diatribe.

I know what I think you are. I reckon a few others agree. Phonetically, it goes like this: eye, dee, eye, oh, tea.

I had a good laugh early in the week when you and one or two of your aliases leapt on here gleeful in the fact that one of my favourite horses didn’t win the Newmarket Handicap (yes, handicap) first up with 58.5kg. More proof of your (lack of) anything remotely associated with Logic.

The funniest thing about all this is that you, your missus and any other sycophant/alias you care to call on seriously think your opinion or condemnation means anything to the rest of us.

In conclusion, I’ll leave you with a list of the horses I backed today:

Melbourne:
Talented
El Don (e/w)
Hartnell (e/w)
Spirit of Aquada (e/w)

Sydney:
Star of the Seas
Trekking
Athiri
Cosmic Force
Verry Elleegant
Red Cardinal
Dixie Blossons (e/w)
Fifty Stars
Supernova

How did I go?

Nige ;-)

I note from your ramblings Tufnel that you gave us the list of horses you backed on Saturday. It was not just a few, but the actual list.

Your brilliance has landed you the quaddie and the Big 6, all achieved by only having to select one horse in each leg. I marvel at your knowledge of going from short priced favourites to isolating a 21/1 shot and taking it one out.

I think this all happened. However, all of a sudden your alarm clock went off and you woke up, muttering to yourself, "what a great dream, if only it was true!".

Better still, I’ll leave you with a list of the horses I backed last Saturday before the race, the full and complete list :

Melbourne:
Swift Sis (win only)
Causeway Girl (win only)
Widgee Turf (win only)

Sydney:
Verry Elleegant (win only)
Dixie Blossons (e/w)

5 bets, 5 winners. Simply the best, better than all the rest.

How did I go?

I think you excelled at reading the results and then imagining which bets you would have had at Fantasy TAB!

Northerly was beaten 8/16 times by horses that NEVER EVER went on to win a Group one race in their entire racing careers (50%). Four out of the 16 horses that beat Northerly NEVER EVER won a Stakes race in their entire racing careers. An interesting set of statistics I feel.

I invite some of you Northerly fans to do a similar exercise with the statistics relating to Winx's racing career. But it will probably prove more than a little difficult as you struggle to see through the egg all over your foolish faces.

The fact that Northerly was beaten is an indication of the standard of the opposition that he faced, not an indication of his weakness.

I see you have wheeled out that pathetic statement about Freemason once again, Gary. I was there the day he defeated Northerly in the BMW. it was neck and neck the whole length of the straight and Northerly did not give up.

As for Freemason, as well as that victory he also won the TJ Smith in Qld, The Qld Derby and the Doomben Cup. He won over 3.4 million and would have absolutely towelled the stablemates and no hopers that Winx has beaten.

Red Excitement and Foxplay wouldn't have seen which way he went.

Freemason lost over 50 races in its career, yet it would "towel" Winx's Opposition?

You make no mention that if Northerly had been ridden more patiently, it would have beaten Freemason easily. Instead, Northerly ran a "gutbuster" which finished his career. For a supposed fan of Northerly, you know very little about him.

Sorry for having an opinion different to you Gary.

Of course, just as Media Central said.

Its a plain fact, Gladys. Not an opinion.

Northerly pressured Freemason for the entire last mile and you made no mention of it, even though (you claim) you were there! You obviously don't know Northerly and you certainly have no idea about Winx.

It was from the 800 metres if I remember Gary. Freemason set a course record that day.

It was not until months later that they discovered a tendon issue and that finished his career. They tried to get him back after that but it was not successful.

Rex

Bop Bag bringing up Foxplay from the Warwick Stakes to downplay Winx is gold.

Just one of the better performances seen on an Australian racetrack.

What she did that day at Randwick was simply outstanding. But our forum clown is too clueless to understand that. Wouldn't even know what she did.

Proximity limitated novice.

Rex

You only need to look at their Cox Plate times, rating etc to see who wins a match race.

No knock on Northerly (who didn't have the turn of foot to see her off). Just a knock on a dumb ass thread designed to do nothing.

Might go and start another thread for actual racing fans.

Winx has defeated Highland Reel once on her own turf. He may not have been at the top of his game that day, through a number of reasons e.g. travel

What other good horses has she defeated? I can't think of any.

Khaptingly,

Yes would have to agree that travel can put a horse out of sorts. BUT I feel that your attempt to make excuses for Highland Reel's lesser performance against Winx on the basis of travel appears to be somewhat grasping at straws.

Why? It would appear to me that if there was ever a horse that travelled well it is Highland Reel, apart from the fact that it had plenty of time to get over it while in quarantine.

Why am I of the opinion that Highland Reel was a good traveler? Take a look at his travel & performances in multiple international venues prior to meeting Winx in the Cox Plate.

At 3 : Arlington Park Secretariat S., Gr.1 (1¼m beating Closing Bell and Force the Pass)

HKJC Longines Hong Kong Vase, Gr.1 (2400m beating Flintshire and Dariyan)

Goodwood Gordon S., Gr.3 (1½m beating Scottish and California Disegno)

2d Chantilly Prix du Jockey Club, Gr.1 (2100m to New Bay and beating War Dispatch)

3d MVRC WS Cox P., Gr.1 (2050m to Winx and Criterion)

Tell me is this is a horse that does NOT cope well with travel.

I rest my case.

Rex

K Dill

Highland Reel ran a then career high mark when he finished further behind Winx than he did the Derby and Arc winner the start prior over the same trip, (i.e., he ran his best ever race to that point behind her).

Honestly, your stupd1dity knows no bounds.

Yes sure he did.

Actually Avilius ran a career high when unplaced in the Aussie Cup. I said he did. He ran far better than I expected he would too.

I haven't seen anything posted so I assume Gary has lauded your great laying via a PM.

Todman found the 40/1 winner Harlem in this same race and struck a $60,000 Quaddie. I didn't take the time to praise his effort, yet you seriously think I should have lauded Khaptingly for this?

The same person, who (each time he's wrong) miraculously trades out for a 5% profit?

Good one Gladys - that was funny.

Rex I have noticed you have not commented on my Avilius lay in the Aussie Cup last weekend. Is that because you somehow conveniently missed it which does not seem feasible given you comment on everything thing else I say. Or is it because you lack the courage to give me praise in acknowledging a wonderful prediction.

Let's just say it is the latter, which we would all believe.

Rex

K Dill

Your Avilius lay didn't have one shred of quantification behind it, similar to your Cross Counter lay in the Melbourne Cup didn't have one shred of quantification behind it.

Your desperate and your throwing mud and hopping some sticks.

Horrendous way of trying to find a winner. Prefer to see you quantify with plenty of common sense and get burnt, than have a guess and get lucky.

Your an embarrassment to anyone who has ever labelled themselves a pundit. Avilius 4/6, Cross Counter 10/1. You have a ways to go champ.

Just what I thought, a complete lack of courage from Rex.

Given I have an overall fantastic record, when I made a mistake Rex came on to bag me, given it was the most recent nomination that failed. Now when the most recent nomination has been a success, he wants to drag up the past.

Yep a complete lack of courage, but hey, most of us know that.

I always felt Northerly was one of our most underrated Horses. He could run the sectionals off a slow pace, or put up a course record if necessary.

Admittedly, he was no match for Winx, but he was a good conveyance against some smart ones of his time.

We have our share of handy gallopers past & present, enjoy them, even if they don't shine in these boring 3200m welters.

Rex

One mistake K Dill?

You just made a mistake in this forum when you said Highland Reel didn't run to his best form against Winx when he ran a then career high mark!!! You couldn't make it up.

It was you who then diverted to your laying, not me champ.

Cop this all you Northerly fans:

He was beaten 8/16 times by horses that NEVER EVER went on to win a Group one race in their entire racing careers (50%).

Four out of the 16 horses that beat Northerly NEVER EVER won a Stakes race in their entire racing careers.

Thus far, Winx has been beaten in 6 of her 41 starts (15%) by 4 different horses.

Winx was beaten 1/41 times by horses that NEVER EVER won a Group one race in their entire racing careers (2.44%). The one horse referred to that beat Winx and did not win a Group 1, was a Group 2 winner.

Four out of the four different horses that beat Winx were all Stakes winners during their racing careers. (100%).

Northerly beat Sunline in two Cox Plates. Northerly won a Caulfield Cup and the following week won the Cox Plate.

Tell me, Theklown, name one horse that Winx has encountered that could beat Sunline. Just one will do!

After that question does your head in, tell me how Winx went in any Caulfield Cup or for that matter, any major handicap. Dont bother with those two weak miles at Randwick where she had 56.5 with a limit of 51. If you do, have a look at Sunline's weight and her limit.

Go back to reading the Australian Stud Book and learn a little bit more before coming on here and confirming what everyone already knows about you.

Rex

Also curious, Northerly, Sunline and Winx all champions and all multiple winners of the Cox Plate.

Who holds the fastest, shall we say 3 times in the race?

Who holds the highest rating and at what distances?

Rex, Some interesting and very valid points you raised in your last post.

We all know that it is an UNDISPUTED FACT that history tells us that due to selective breeding, better nutrition regimes, improved training methods etc.... the thoroughbred continues to evolve as a FASTER & STONGER equine being generation after generation.

Derr, that's why race & course records set by great horses of the past continue to be broken generation after generation.

And of course we all know this to be true or else there would be records still in place set by GREAT horses in the past.

Yes they were GREAT horses in their time but it is a futile exercise to attempt to compare horse of different eras like Dopey Gladys is (however misguidedly) attempting to do.

eg. Sunline vs Winx

I agree with your: "The FACT Who holds the fastest, shall we say 3 times in the race?"

Who has she beaten that would get near Sunline?

Answer: Big fat nothing. One paced handicappers, stable mates and dud stayers.

P

I think you already answered this question once before, Theklown. Chautauqua! A sprinter over 1500 metres.

She is a good horse, best of her era and better than everything she has beaten. Unfortunately, the beaten brigade are all duds!

Gladys re the horses that Winx has beaten you said:

"Unfortunately the beaten brigade were all duds."

What a goose you are!

Yes you really are living in a very CONFUSED WORLD if you genuinely believe that Highland Reel was a dud as a racehorse. Highland Reel was well beaten by Winx in a Cox Plate.

Wake up to yourself dopey, take a look at his credentials & tell me if you still really believe that he was a dud.

HIGHLAND REEL

Champion Older Horse in Ireland in 2016

(Long). Champion Older Male in Ireland in 2017

(Int.). Joint Champion Older Male in Ireland in 2017 (Long).

World Thoroughbred Ranking:

121 (in 2015)
123 (in 2016)
123 (in 2017).

Can someone finally please advise myself and others as to who are the best 5 horses that Winx has defeated in Aussie.

Rex has already answered who are the best 5 she has defeated overseas. He said nothing.

It seems everyone wants to bang on about Winx but won't tell us who are the best 5 she has defeated. To me you don't have the courage to give an answer and that is your own problem you need to sort out.

Khap, what a dill you are.

You wrote: Rex has already answered who are the best 5 she has defeated overseas.

When did Winx race overseas? To the best of my knowledge she has done all her racing in Australia. Even a troglodyte living in a cave deep in the bowels of the earth would know that dopey.

I think we would need a deep sea diving bell to find your intellect, Theklown.

Gladys,is that all you have got?

Your latest comment places you on par with the same amount of intelligence which is displayed by a 3rd class kid in the primary school playground.

Perhaps I need to come down to your level to show you what I mean.

Your silly - no your silly - no your even sillier. Gladys is the silliest of the lot.

This is about the standard of your retort Gladys you would fit in well with the other infants kids.

The old "Highland Reel Procedure".

Find something a horse has done after the event and revert it back to a previous time to give the opposition some credibility.

You were the one who had a shot at Northerly being beaten but it all blew up in your silly face when it was pointed out just who he came up against and defeated.

Now instead of your usual bilge, just tell me, who of Winx's opposition to date would have got anywhere near Sunline? Red Excitement, Libran, HC?

Gladys, talk about a trap for FOOLS.

Re your: "Why bother I know, but didn't Sunline win two Cox Plates, Theklown?

Of course she did dopey, but that's not what it says re her form listed on this site. The 1999 Cox Plate win is not even listed under her race performances/form.

Gladys you say: "Go back to reading the Australian Stud Book and learn a little bit more before coming on here"

So much for your damning of the Australian Studbook as a reference. I did go back to the Australian Studbook and surprise, surprise what do you think I found? Yes she did in fact win two Cox Plates over 2040m at WFA not over 1200m at WFA as you suggested.

Like I said, talk about a TRAP FOR FOOLS, but I think I also caught a clueless dill in the trap, as well.

So there you have it Sunline only ever won two out of her four starts over 2000m at WFA. How many wins and how many losses has Winx had over 2000m at WFA?

There is no comparison one is a CHAMPION the other was NOT.

Gladcyst, you wrote: "The old "Highland Reel Procedure".

"Find something a horse has done after the event and revert it back to a previous time to give the opposition some credibility."

"give the opposition some credibility."

What the FLIc& you are even dopier than I thought you were? As if Highland Reel didn't have any credibility before racing against Winx? This was his record prior to meeting Winx:

9 starts for 4 wins and 2 seconds including the following wins & placings:

A maiden win by 12 lengths,
One G1 by 5.5 len (Secretariat Stakes - also won by Cox Plate winner, Adelaide)
One G2 by 2.5 len,
One G3 by 1.5 len
One G1 runner up, beaten 1.5 len

Not a bad effort out of his first 9 starts, I say.

I reiterate: As if Highland Reel didn't have any credibility before racing against Winx!

Blah, blah, blah. Name one of them that would get near Sunline. You can't do that so all you have left is personal abuse and ridicule.

Best of her era, better than everything she has beaten, stage managed to ensure an unbeaten run but unfortunately, in the process, has beaten "nuthin'"!

"Name one of them that would get near Sunline."

Here's two that did get near Sunline. Adam and El Mirada. Not only did they get near her; they beat her. They both had an atrocious win strike rate of 10%. So once again your argument falls flat on its face.

Wake up Gladys. Winx makes good horses look bad - and Rex and Theking make you look like a dummy.

Thanks for explaining your "logic" Gary.

How does that fit in with Fenway, First Seal, Gust of Wind. Oh that is right, that happened before the magic started.

Benbatl was beaten 2 len in the Cox Plate by Winx.

He won 5/7 and was placed 7/7 times in International starts. Including wins 3/G1, 1/G2, 1/G3 and placed 2nd in 2/G1s

HE PERFORMED WELL ON THE INTERNATIONAL STAGE. Benbatl won a G2 in the UAE by 4len.

Sunline was well beaten into 3rd place in a similar UAE G2 race. In her only other International start she fell into just win the G1 Hong Kong Mile beating a horse who only ever won 1/G1 in his entire racing career.

Sunline only ever won 1/2 International Starts. Winx has beaten many International raiders. Sunline only ever won one out of four 2000m WFA race attempts.

Why bother I know, but didn't Sunline win two Cox Plates, Theklown?

Oh that's right, that race is over 1200 metres not 2000 metres at wfa!

Gladys,

You say that First Seal, Gust of Wind and Fenway were SUPERIOR to Winx.

If ths is true, then we have been denied THREE world champions, who could have won FOUR Cox Plates and amassed a 32 race winning streak - if only ONE of them had continued racing. Jeez, we Aussies produce good horses!

Wait a minute. Something doesn't make sense. Weren't you saying that our horses are "duds' and "no hopers"?

Of the three Gary, First Seal could have been anything. The other two were above average but good enough to beat Winx at that time.

As to how horses might have progressed is just a guess. Winx is well above average and has progressed by being well stage managed and racing in an era in Australia where the standard is ordinary to say the least.

As for being World Champion, you claim that status when you have beaten the best in the World. It is not achieved just because some one "rates" them as being superior.

Who do you say is the horse(s) she has beaten that confirms that title?

Gladys,

You begrudged every single victory by Black Caviar and squirm every time Winx wins. You are angry at the adulation and raw emotion of the horseloving public who have celebrated their brilliance race after race.

You want that sequence to end. You want your moment when you can finally shout "You See, I told you it would lose! I laid it and I made millions"

You need to go back about 18 years to remember the last time you had affection for a horse. I only need to go back 2 days.

I dont care how you perform on the financial front, your relentless cynicism towards two world champions makes you one of the biggest losers in this country, and on this forum.

Thank you for your very kind and gracious words Gary and also for your psychological assessment.

Unfortunately for you, I have no issue with Winx winning or acknowledging both her and Black Caviar as the best of their generation and their era.

The issue I have is with the necessity for people such as yourself, to insist on bagging our former champions every time the question of opposition is raised. After finding an event when one of our former champions was defeated, it becomes headlines in an attempt to overshadow their respective brilliant careers. People such as yourself are not content with just enjoying Winx and Black Caviar's success, they have to announce them as Worlds Best and GLOAT.

Maybe these two are the greatest ever, who knows, you can't compare eras. What I do know is that I have seen exceptional horses in the past that had opposition. They had to encounter being held in pockets, being put into a barrier in order, being pushed wide, having no cover and no benefit from a guard of honour of stablemates.

I would suggest that you are the one that needs to stop your hysterical defending and accept that others are allowed to have an opinion.

Perhaps when Winx's fantastic career is over you could write to the connections and secure a little piece of her blanket. You could use that to wipe away tears as you watch old reruns of her beating up Red Excitement whilst rating which one of her victories over Happy Clapper was the best.

Gary,

You have put much more than egg on Glady's embarrassed face with your last post.

Topically, and rather fashionably you have been able to sneak up behind her without detection and crack a double yoker rotten egg all over the back of her numb scull.

What is your retort to Gary's brilliant submission Gladys?

Gladys will now be gagging if not barfing on her own words which you have ever so eloquently & cleverly been able to shove down her throat. Keep up the good work Gary!

What say you Gladys?

Gary,

You can add the following horses to your list. None of these horses won more than one G1 each. These horses all either beat, or finished in front of Sunline:

Excellarator, Piovonic in G1 races; Jim and Tonic & Fairy King Prawn in a G2 race.

So here we have Sunline being beaten by horses that could only manage to win one solitary G1 race each, in their entire racing careers. And further to that, how embarrassing for Sunline she was beaten by both Jim & Tonic and Fairy King Prawn, in a lowly G2 race.

These are FACTS. As if any of these lesser lights, who all beat or finished in front of Sunline, would have any hope of beating the SUPER MARE Winx, who has won 24 Group Ones.

Find something a horse has done after the event and revert it back (sic) to a previous time to give the opposition some credibility

This may be new to you Gladys, but it's called "franking the form".

Gladys what a hypocrite you are. Its not egg on your face this time its a whole omelette.

You mean like: The old, Old Comrade Procedure".

"Find something a horse has done after the event and revert it back to a previous time to give the opposition some credibility."
Like when Northerly beat Old Comrade but then Old Comrade beat him twice later on?

You say: "You were the one who had a shot at Northerly being beaten but it all blew up in your silly face when it was pointed out just who he came up against and defeated."

I am totally aware of the quality of horses that beat Northerly, but I am equally aware of some of the very ordinary horses that beat him.

Just where was it that it was pointed out to me who he (Northerly) came up against and defeated?

Suck eggs dopey!

Rex

Bop Bag

Sunline was a champion, but youre once again speaking nonsense.

Sunline was beaten by Jim And Tonic who rated lower than Highland Reel, the same Highland Reel that Winx destroyed like a B grade seller in the Cox Plate.

Obviously you don't rate twice Arc and Breeders Cup winner Enable, or at least her opposition.

S1lly boy.

Sorry Gladys I don't agree with you.

I don't think that Chautauqua would have actually performed very well at 2000m WFA.

He was an out & out sprinter dopey!

Poor Gladys, she still does not get it does she?

She does not seem to be able to comprehend or focus upon the fact that this thread is supposed to be about Winx vs Northerly 2000m at WFA. NOT Winx vs Sunline.

Poor Gladys what a very, very CONFUSED WORLD she appears to live in. She has obviously got her horses mixed up yet again just like when she previously wrote: Correction. Black Caviar not Winx.

Gladys how can you possibly get our best ever SPRINTER and our best ever MIDDLE DISTANCE WFA Star mixed up? This is totally unforgivable, even for a greenhorn NOVICE like yourself. Even an eskimo living in an igloo at the North Pole would know more than you do about our most recent AUSTRALIAN CHAMPION RACEHORSES.

In any case I will humour you yet again for the purpose of providing a gift of levity once more at your expense for all on here who love to read your blunders for the entertainment value & mirth that you provide to them.

You wrote: "Who has she beaten that would get near Sunline?"

Answer 1. Don't worry about who she beat, the FACT is that nothing has EVER beaten her at 2000m WFA
(Not even the Irish Champion Highland Reel)

I reiterate you wrote: "Who has she beaten that would get near Sunline?"

Answer 2. DAYLIGHT, DAYLIGH & more DAYLIGHT

Here are the FACTS Dopey: Winx had seven starts at 2000m WFA all G1s. She won seven out of seven 100% by an average winning margin of nearly 4 lengths.

It is an absolutely futile exercise attempting to compare Sunline to Winx at 2000m WFA there is absolutely NO comparison. Winx was well performed at 2000m WFA Sunline was NOT as the following will prove:

Sunline had four starts at 2000m WFA. She won ONLY ONE out of FOUR (25%) by an averaged winning margin / losing margin of nearly one length.

Go back to your comic books Gladys.

Rex

Bop Bag

is that the same Doncaster that Winx finished 13L + in front of First Seal giving her 8lbs?

The same First Seal you continually tell us was a better horse than Winx because she beat her a few times early on when Winx was running ratings around 30lb less than what she runs now?

Just curious

Gladbag, You say: "Northerly beat Sunline in two Cox Plates." I say: You have the concentration level of a flea. Isn't this thread about Winx vs Northerly?

Sorry Glabag you seem to be very confused yet again. The last time I checked Winx is NOT Sunline and Sunline is NOT Winx. Hmmm, perhaps you simply got Winx & Sunline mixed up like you did when you got Winx & Black Caviar mixed up on the Black caviar and Winx again thread.

Perhaps? No on second thoughts I am now very certain that you are simply CONFUSED yet again. This is a direct quote of what you said on that thread:
"Correction. Black caviar not Winx." Perhaps you should restrict yourself to only commenting one horse at a time in the future as you don't seem to have the concentration levels to deal with big numbers like two & three or more.

However re your "Northerly beat Sunline in two Cox Plates." comment. I will humour you for the sake of mirth for me and to afford some general entertainment value for the other posters on here who also value you as the resident FLIC& WIT. I say: By the time Sunline, now an aged (6 & 7yo mare) was being beaten by Northerly she was a shadow of her former self over 2000m at WFA. She raced only once over 2000m at WFA as a 6yo and finished second.

Similarly in her only 2000m at WFA as a 7yo she led then gave up like a pricked balloon to finish a pathetic 4th compared to her previous GREATNESS in Cox Plates in what was only a very small field.

So there we have it. It is a fact that Sunline
(IMO now a shadow of her former self) now a 6 & 7yo aged mare lacked her previous ability as she could no longer win a 2000m WFA race anymore. And The FACT is that this once GREAT mare could now only manage to win one race out of four races of any description (25%) as an aged 7yo mare. This once GREAT mare who was pathetically beaten by three other horses in her final Cox Plate was ready for retirement and was justifiably retired soon after. Two starts prior to this dismal fourth in her last Cox Plate she could NOT even win a Group 2 race!

Gladrag, you also said: Northerly won a Caulfield Cup and the following week won the Cox Plate. Again you seem very confused Gladrag. However I am more than happy to educate a poor uneducated novice such as yourself. The Caulfield Cup is actually a 2400m handicap race NOT a 2000m WFA race. It has been a 2400m handicap race, rather than a 2000m WFA race, for a very, very long time. Perhaps you better check with your Mum or somebody else that helps care for you. And by the way I know that you are not very good with big numbers but 2400m is much longer than 2000m.

What the hell is the relevance of bringing up Northerly beating Sunline in a 2400m Handicap race when we are supposed to be debating Winx vs Northerly at WFA over 2000m? Gees Gladbag, Again you seem very, very CONFUSED with all this. Do you actually even know the difference between a Handicap race and a WFA race?

Come on be honest, there is no shame in being an ignorant novice I am happy to explain the different concepts to you provided that you grovel enough to me.

MC,

Winx has beaten nothing? Have you been living under a rock?

Winx beat the extremely highly regarded international multi Group 1 winner Highland Reel (in Great Britain, Ireland, France, U.S.A., Australia, Hong Kong, U.A.E.)

Age Runs 1st 2nd 3rd Earnings

2 3 2 1 - A$100,314
3 8 3 1 1 A$2,943,817
4 9 2 4 - A$7,232,083
5 7 3 - 2 A$3,675,004
27 10 6 3 A$13,951,220

Yes that's right winner of nearly $14 million

At 2 : Goodwood Vintage S., Gr.2 (7f beating Tupi and Room Key) Gowran Park Irish Stallion Farms 2YO Maiden S. (1m)

At 3 : Arlington Park Secretariat S., Gr.1 (1¼m beating Closing Bell and Force the Pass)
HKJC Longines Hong Kong Vase, Gr.1 (2400m beating Flintshire and Dariyan)
Goodwood Gordon S., Gr.3 (1½m beating Scottish and California Disegno)
2d Chantilly Prix du Jockey Club, Gr.1 (2100m to New Bay and beating War Dispatch)
3d MVRC WS Cox P., Gr.1 (2050m to Winx and Criterion)

At 4 : Breeders' Cup Turf, Gr.1 (1½m beating Flintshire and Found)
Ascot King George VI & Queen Elizabeth S., Gr.1 (1½m beating Wings of Desire and Dartmouth)
2d Chantilly Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, Gr.1 (2400m to Found and beating Order of St George)
York International S., Gr.1 (10½f to Postponed and beating Mutakayyef)
HKJC Longines Hong Kong Vase, Gr.1 (2400m to Satono Crown and beating One Foot in Heaven)
Royal Ascot Hardwicke S., Gr.2 (1½m to Dartmouth and beating Almodovar)
4th Meydan Dubai Sheema Classic, Gr.1 (2400m)

Yes that's right Highland reel beat the eventual Arc winner Found over the same 1 1/2 mile distance prior to it winning the Arc.

At 5 : Epsom Coronation Cup, Gr.1 (1½m beating Frontiersman and Hawkbill)
Royal Ascot Prince of Wales's S., Gr.1 (1¼m beating Decorated Knight and Ulysses)
HKJC Longines Hong Kong Vase, Gr.1 (2400m beating Talismanic and Tosen Basil)
3d Breeders' Cup Turf, Gr.1 (1½m to Talismanic and Beach Patrol)
Ascot Champion S., Gr.1 (1¼m to Cracksman and Poet's Word)
4th Ascot King George VI & Queen Elizabeth S., Gr.1 (1½m)

Winx beat nothing this is Highland Reel's resume:

Champion Older Horse in Ireland in 2016 (Long).

Champion Older Male in Ireland in 2017 (Int.).

Joint Champion Older Male in Ireland in 2017 (Long).

World Thoroughbred Ranking:
121 (in 2015)
123 (in 2016)
123 (in 2017).

If Northerly is 12 lengths in front at the 200m, I'd go Northerly.

This thread should have been entitled Winx Vs Kingston Town, whom I'd rate as a worthy challenger at 2000m.

Imagine Kingston Town having short preparations, running in WFA races and restricted to distances up to 2000m. The mind boggles as to how much more sound and supreme he may have been.

Based on what each horse has defeated in their respective careers, I would go Northerly. If it was Kingston Town v Winx, I would go Kingston Town, for the same reason.

But that is just my opinion. Just like ratings are someone's opinion. Just like Laying Avilius in the Aussie Cup was my opinion, but it seemed no one else in Aussie agreed with me. Good.

However, I also say you can't compare different era's.

No, I am doing her a favour by not comparing her for what she beats, to what previous great champions defeated.

"However, I also say you can't compare different era's."

Khap, When you rate Winx's opposition as "duds", aren't you comparing the opposition of different eras?

I agree Winx has beaten nothing of note and would get destroyed in any race in Europe. Happy Clapper will hardly go down as an all-time-great. I do not believe for a second Waller seriously ever entertained a trip to the land of the great thoroughbred.

With that said I think it would be a close race with Northerly. He never beat his challengers by much.

He would win though.

MC

Yes MC she would get destroyed. The fact that she can achieve 170 strides per minute would apparently be of little consequence to Northerly and European horses.

170 strides sounds like a lot Gary but Google backs you up. Frankel was recorded at 130-140 per minute. Sounds like she's got him covered too.

Case closed, best horse ever.

Happy Clapper, second best horse ever.

MC
PREMIER R&S ANALYST

MC,

The 170 strides doesn't prove she's best; it just makes a mockery of the comment that she would be destroyed.

And if Happy Clapper is "second best horse ever", then every runner-up to Northerly was the second best ever.

Yes Gary, Sunline was probably the second best horse of the past 20 years.

Then I guess Freemason was better than the both of them.

Drop it. Its a useless argument.

Ok gaz no problem, catcha in 2020.

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts