2014 Brownlow

Ramses
Got a few bob riding on Kennedy, should be a close one.
You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

Couldn't agree more Tontonan. I think it's unfair to suggest that someone is unworthy when he receives the most votes from the umpires, in a system which awards the medal to the player who gets most votes from the umpires. I think his stats were great for the year (why he was noticed by umps), and is a good tackler, but he needs to work on what he does with the ball once he gets it. Selwood, Ablett, Simon Black (one of the best when still playing imho) are/were players who almost every time would not only deliver the ball perfectly to a player, but make the right decision in a split second which was the best play to make. As an ex player (Old Boys we term them around here :), I know you don't get to see everything clearly at ground level. So I understand it's hard for the umps.

He was very humble in his speech, and I dare say seemed embarrassed that he'd won the medal over some of the top-line players he mentioned. I think that's because he knew the way the media and some public would view the result. And that's a shame.. he shouldn't have to feel guilty about winning. As Tontonan said, the issue should be with the prestige the award itself is given, not the player. But don't get me started on the media :)

Personally, I don't like the idea of umpires having the responsibility of giving the votes, and therefore having that in their mind all game. They have enough to worry about these days. But I don't see any feasible, financially viable solution. Have a panel at every game voting? But who? Has to be someone with very good football knowledge, and most probably ties (past or present) with one or more clubs. Leaves the door open for accusations of bias. I can't claim to have any solution.

Anyway, looking forward to my equal favourite day of the year on Saturday. Might go McGlynn and Parker for Norm Smith, Breust for first goal, and Goodes for last goal. Think it will be a low scoring affair and Swans by about three goals.

Can't agree with two of your points MD. Players have baises and their votes are about "best player", which is not necessarily a reflection of season long performance. Heppell for example had a hot run late in the season particularly but over 23 rounds his coaches points and brownlow votes are a far better indication of his season performance imo. Coaches assess games immediately and take into account influence/impact on a game - which is far from the often ludicrous stats-based sytems used elsewhere (thankfully not in any of the 3 major awards).

I also can't abide the "unworthy" comment we see occasionally in regard to Brownlow winners. They are all worthy but in some cases (perhaps this one?) there have, arguably, been "more worthy" recipients. The most maligned I can recall was Woewodin but his form was very good iirc. My memory extends to flashy shinbone winger Keith Greig who was probably worthy the first time but in my undoubtedly biased and dimmed memory he was nowhere near best the following year. Being on the umpires' radar is a big plus - even bigger in the days of single and dual umpires I'd imagine.

I don't know about anyone else but what's bugged me the last couple of days regarding the Brownlow is some media reports about Nathan Fyfe.

Some of these two bob, bandwagon reporters have written absurd comments about how the AFL were borderline being left redfaced if Priddis didn't get the two votes in the last round to over take Fyfe in the counting.

It's been suggested by some that they'd be embarrassed to have a leading vote getter made ineligible due to that silly head clash ruling.

Stupid rule, yes. But he was also suspended for punching Jordan Lewis off the ball in Round 21.

There are some really lazy media people out there.

MD

I agree that the Players' MVP is the yardstick to measure the best player for the year, followed by the Coaches Award.

Other than WCE supporters most ppl were saying that Priddis shouldn't have taken the place of anyone named in the AA team but now they're saying he's a worthy winner of the Brownlow? To me people now saying that he was a worthy winner is an indication of how stats obsessed we have become. Yes he finds plenty of it, but that is because the opposition never tag him as they know his efficiency is not great and his possessions don't really hurt them.

Seems a top bloke but an unworthy winner for mine.

The Brownlow is the umpire's award and always has been. I don't understand how any player can be deemed unworthy when he wins the award.

You might argue that there are better and fairer players in the League but the umpires don't think so. The MVP and the coaches award offer different perspectives, and this year at least, honour different players. They are all worthy of the awards they win.

If the issue is with the elevated prestige of the Brownlow, fair enough. But be clear about it - if that it is issue then it is the award that is unworthy of its prestige, not that the winner is unworthy of the award.

Geelong that was very well said and I tend to agree with you.

Priddis only had Ablett, Selwood and Dangerfield as eligible players above him to win according to punters.

I think he flew under the radar because the Eagles had an ordinary season.

Firstly I have no problem with Priddis winning the medal. A very worthy winner. Mine is more a comment about the medal itself.

Priddis is a hard working middle fielder who accumulates a lot of possession and a lot of tackles. He is right under the nose of the umpires. He is a consistent and reliable player in an inconsistent and unreliable side. The lack of his team mates makes him look even better. Those things make him an ideal Brownlow medal candidate.

Ball getters generally do better than receivers. Midfielders generally do better than key position players and always better than defenders. I can't think of the last defender to even come close to a medal - was it Roos ?

Hard working players in ordinary teams do better than hard working players in very good teams because they get more of the umpires attention and don't have as many team mates competing for votes.

The Brownlow is a great tradition but as a measure of the best player of the season I think the Leigh Matthews trophy is an even better barometer.

Matthews Trophy winners (Brownlow winners) * indicates consensus

2014 Nathan Fyfe (Matthew Priddis)
2013* Gary Ablett, Jr. (Gary Ablett, Jr.)
2012 Gary Ablett, Jr. (Jobe Watson)
2011 Chris Judd (Dane Swan)
2010 Dane Swan (Chris Judd)
2009* Gary Ablett, Jr. (Gary Ablett, Jr.)
2008 Gary Ablett, Jr. (Adam Cooney)
2007 Gary Ablett, Jr. (Jimmy Bartel)
2006 Chris Judd (Adam Goodes)
2005* Ben Cousins (Ben Cousins)
2004 Nick Riewoldt (Chris Judd)
2003 Michael Voss (Adam Goodes - Nathan Buckley - Mark Ricciuto)
2002 Luke Darcy (Simon Black)
Michael Voss
2001 Andrew McLeod (Jason Akermanis)
2000 Anthony Koutoufides (Shane Woewodin)
1999* Shane Crawford (Shane Crawford)
1998 Wayne Carey (Robert Harvey)
1997* Robert Harvey (Robert Harvey)
1996 Corey McKernan (Michael Voss -James Hird)
1995 Wayne Carey (Paul Kelly)
1994* Greg Williams (Greg Williams)
1993 Gary Ablett, Sr. (Gavin Wanganeen)
1992 Jason Dunstall (Scott Wynd)
1991* Jim Stynes (Jim Stynes)
1990 Darren Millane (Tony Liberatore)
1989 Tim Watson (Paul Couch)
1988* Gerard Healy (Gerard healy)
1987* Tony Lockett (Tony Lockett - John Platten)
1986 Paul Roos (Greg Williams)
1985 Greg Williams (Brad Hardie)
1984 Russell Greene (Peter Moore)
1983 Terry Daniher (Ross Glendenning)
1982 Leigh Matthews (Brian Wilson)

Priddis is a very worthy winner of the Brownlow and in my view a very under rated player over here in the Eastern states. The lad can find the plenty of the footy and uses it very well to his teams advantage

Priddis is a very good player no doubt about it but as much as it pains me to say so the Brownlow is no longer the yardstick for the (fairest and) best footballer in the AFL. That "honour" resides with the coaches award. The Chas will always have history and prestige but as a measure of quality, impact and consistent performance the AFLCA is closer to the mark. That said it's surprising how close the umps and the coaches rankings are given the relative judging positions.

Chas AFLCA
Priddis 26 111 Robbie Gray
Fyfe 25 95 Nathan Fyfe
Ablett 22 83 Josh Kennedy
Franklin 22 80 Lance Franklin
Dangerfield 21 72 Gary Ablett
Kennedy 21 72 Scott Pendlebury
Boak 21 72 Matthew Priddis
Selwood 21 70 Dyson Heppell
Johnson 19 68 Joel Selwood
Cotchin 18 66 Jordan Lewis
Beams 16 66 Luke Parker
Pendlebury 16
Harvey 15
Ward 15
Lewis 15
Rockliff 15
Heppell 14
Thompson 14
Gray 14

Priddis had a great year. His numbers stack up against anybody.

He was lucky that Ablett missed the last 7 games, but IMO he was a worthy winner on his 2014 form. He didn't have the guys taking votes off him like the Swans and Geelong players did.

MD

Priddis joins Woewodin as the worst winner of the Brownlow in the last 30 years or so!

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts