Float like a butterfly

imaj eel
I'm old enough to have seen Cardigan Bay win an Auckland cup from 72 behind, I saw Vain brain em in a golden slipper, I took a day off work when we won the Americas cup. Through the wonders of TV I have seen great sporting events, and sports people all over the world, but I {personally} have never seen a better sporting performance than the demolition of Floyd Patterson by the great one Muhammed Ali {Cassius Clay}.

The life of this man was one to remember for all peoples, for a long time, if not for all time.

A most complete athlete, a witty and erudite person, a man who overcame the odds and obstacles that life threw at him, beginning with his birth colour and never getting much easier, he managed to romp through life with a sense of humour, humanity and regard for others, except maybe for Sonny Liston.

His leaving us has filled me with a sense of loss, and the feeling that I don't have enough years left to again see an athlete or sports person with his talent and complete mastery of his chosen field.

Sadly, I must say VALE Muhammad, Farewell Cassius, it was a pleasure to have experienced you.
You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

George Foreman is a gentleman. Ali was rude and arrogant.

Please don't insult people on real threads, Khaptingly.

Float like a lead balloon and stings like butter.

Hunter you are to be congratulated for having the courage to stand up and express an opinion that is the exact opposite of that held by most avid sports fans.

I wouldn't say that. Ali was a great boxer not a great person.

Ali was a humble and lovely person. Hunter you are not smart enough to work that out.

Well said Ima jeel.

He was a pioneer on a lot of fronts for human rights and sport.

The more you look back on what he did and said every time he was about to face an opponent, the more you see how using his opponents own mind and self doubt to beat them before they even stepped into the ring.

It was akin to sledging in most other sports except he used the media and not the playing field to display it (other than his fight with Foreman)

Most of his opponents had spent a considerable amount of mental energy on him when the bell sounded for round one.

The doco When We Were Kings is a classic, not just for lovers of the fight game, but anyone who loved sport in general.

He simply outsmarted Foreman, just as he'd done to several others before him.

RIP Champ.

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts