Where’s Mine

Branded

Ubelievable    ????

Can someone tell me why our great champion from the depression has not a Group 1 named after him.

And can someone tell me why something unbelievable is BELIEVABLE  !!!!!! 

You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

R1

R2

Race names don't mean much.

Cox Plate would be the Tulloch Plate if it did.

There was a Carbine Stakes at Flemington in the 1950's.  It was a long distance (18f - 3600m) WFA race but it didn't last long.  I think Delta won it in 1952 and Carbon Copy in 1950.

TONTONAN I think that you will find that the DANE RIPPER STAKES is only a G2

Here's a couple more however:

The Manikato Stakes is a Group 1 race held at Moonee Valley Racecourse in Victoria each year and is the one of the premier races of the Spring Carnival. The Manikato Stakes (1200m) boasts a total prize pool of $1,000,000 and is run under weight-for-age conditions. The Manikato Stakes 2021 will be run on October 22, 2021 at Moonee Valley Racecourse.

What I find strange about this is that MANIKATO (who was a CHAMPION 1400m horse) "NEVER" won a G1 open age WFA sprint over 1200m, so why name one after him?

Go Figure????

And here's another the STORM QUEEN STAKES G1, strange how both these races were not immediately listed????

The SUNLINE STAKES only a G2, go figure????? sadno

The Sunline Stakes, registered as the Diamond Jubilee Stakes, is a Moonee Valley Racing Club Group 2 Thoroughbred horse race for fillies and mares three years old and older, under Weight for Age conditions, over a distance of 1600 metres at Moonee Valley Racecourse, Melbourne, Australia.

This cut and pasted from the Australian Studbook:

*Restriction Type

• Current A name cannot be reused for 17 years after the year of birth of the horse with this name.
  • Stud A name cannot be repeated for 20 years after the year of birth of the youngest named progeny.
  • Major race winner Names of certain winners of major races have a special restriction placed upon their reuse.
  • Permanent These names can never be reused.

I just had a quick look at the rest of the world and the only horses I can find who have a Group 1 race named after them are :

ECLIPSE (uk)
PRETTY POLLY (ire)
BONECRUSHER (nz)
ZABEEL (nz)  sire
CIGAR (USA)
MAN O'WAR (usa)
LA TROIENNE (usa)  broodmare
AMERICAN PHAROAH (usa)
SPINAWAY (usa)
NATALMA (can)  broodmare
SUN CHARIOT (uk)

plus the Australians listed earlier plus Kingston Town (who I left off the list)

I have no doubt missed a couple but  naming Group 1 races after champion horses isn't something that racing generally does but Australia seems to do it more than most.  

I heard Bruce McAlvaney talking about Phar Lap.He said something along the lines that he cannot have a Group 1 race named after him because his name was used for a race previously.I think he mentioned New Zealand.I know we have the Phar Lap Stakes At Rosehill But I thought I heard him say New Zealand.I wasn’t listening properly (as usual) but it was something like that.

I know you all agree with my wife.I have to pay more attention.Yardy Ya!!!

On another note......

I’m pretty sure you cannot have another horse with the same name used again I think for 17 years but we have a New Zealander here racing as Dothraki.The Aussie Dothraki was only retired not long ago.Normally Nzers Have to use Mr or Sir or My in front of the name to diffirenciate ha! ha! ha ! .. I can’t spell it.

Anyway i have to go as i’m running out of ink trying to spell it.

It would be a good way of reminding people of some of the great horses of the past.  

At present in Australia there are 7 OR 8 Group 1's named after champion horses

SURROUND
LIGHTNING (Black Caviar)
EMPIRE ROSE
MIGHT AND POWER ( Caulfield Sks)
FLIGHT
MAKYBE DIVA (Craiglee Stakes)
WINX  (Warwick Stakes)
DANE RIPPER

and 6 or 7 of those are named after mares.  Curious thing that

Especially when there are Group 1 races that just don't even have a proper name - like the VRC Sprint.  The whole naming conventions could be called into question.  The VRC has Group 1 race - the Cantala Stakes - that is named after a long dead chairman's house.    

The ATC named their big fat race after a Nepalese mountain.  

But hey, it could be worse.  I was reading the record of the Kiwi champ Advantage who won the El Cheapo Cars WFA Classic (Gr.1) in February at Otaki.   

well and good re WA, but the race in Sydney is only a GR3

Kingston Town has the Group 1 Kingston Town Classic  in Perth run in his honour.

it's a real shame that Carbine, Phar Lap, Tulloch and Kingston Town - out and out champs that they were, do not have GR1's in their name.

No idea what "unbelievable is BELIEVABLE" refers to

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts