All Silent

hitensile
One of my old fav’s All Silent is back to Rosehill tomorrow, he’s a horse I’ve always held in high regard. They took him to Hong Kong and Dubai a couple of years ago, he came back a different horse. Grahame Begg has acknowledged the trip had a big impact “It took a long time for him to get over those trips overseas. Last year he spent more than three months in quarantine. He shed his coat in the 50 degree heat every day while he was in Dubai and when he got back home it took a long time for his coat to grow back.” Begg said

Last year prior to the Doomben 10000 Begg said he was hoping the horse was back to his best despite not showing anything in his first up run.. I’d suggest Begg was hoping to see his good second up form return… it didn’t..

I've long given up on him as a punting proposition but always kept an eye on him in the run. It hasn’t been pretty to watch this horse I'd pencilled in as a potential star go around for the past couple of years. They say travelling a horse can knock them around and in All Silent’s case he must have been on the upper end of that scale. Quite sad seeing a personal favourite and 3 time GRP 1 winner performing well below best.

Then 3 weeks ago in the Liverpool City Cup, at last he showed something indicating he may be back to full health. After interference at the start All Silent flashed home for a nice 4th to Ofcourseican. Shinn said in the stewards report “his mount was not handling the soft going and did not travel well, resulting in him losing touch with the leaders mid race and it was not until he rode his mount at the entrance to the straight that All Silent responded and ran home solidly “

The first sign of life for quite some time. If All Silent is back to good health this year’s Ajax, a race he won in 2008, then I suggest he is in it up to his big hairy ears. I know he ticks nearly every box in the “reasons not to back this horse handbook” wide barrier, long time between wins but I just feel there was merit and now form around his last start. He came home in exactly the same time as the winner Ofcourseican 34.49 after interference and not travelling well in the going.

Currently $26 on fixed odds. Probably the right price.. it might well be a very good price if what I thought I saw in the Liverpool City Cup really was the real deal. Forgetting about his history for a moment, was that a great first up run – yes. Now remembering his history, was that his best run in around 3 years – yes. Geez I hope he still goes good 2nd up.

I’m also having a running double… prefer to stay Silent in the second leg.

You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

Gee lostplot I don't feel "got"

Those of sane mind would probably read that Lister and I are in agreement.

.....says the bloke whose stable has finally given up on him ever winning a maiden and have set him for a Hanging Rock picnic race on April 31 [sic].

You're surely the Lang Hancock of irony. Given the way you've plundered it mercilessly for years if it was half as valuable as lithium you'd be as rich as that other great Australian thinker Clive Palmer.

Speaking of lithium.....

I don't think the run was that bad. If the inside lane has a question mark on it I note he was on the inside all the way down the straight and made ground near the finish. Lacklustre performance perhaps and the winner did look brilliant 3.5 lengths clear of the pack. I'm happy to mark the run down as indifferent.

While I agree with what you say Mr Lister my thinking was to put aside the past couple of years understanding the horse has had issues and move forward as from Saturday (or his first up run). First up run good, second up perhaps out of his depth perhaps the inside lane and perhap wishful thinking on my part. Logic you correctly state says you can't back him, very fair point but logic doesn't always give you 30-1 winners either.

Can't agree to retire him MD he's only lightly raced for his age and I still think there is a question mark on how he's going now. On the other hand I saw a horse that should be retired on the weekend...Sir Slick. Nearly 11 and 151 starts.. no wins since 09. He might be one of those old horses that still love it.. I hope so...

Logic doesn't give you $30 winners Hitensile. Agreed.

Not many horses win at $30 and you'd go broke if you keep looking for one.

I agree though, that sometimes its worth a lash on a roughy but I prefer it to be something on the up, that is up in class and racing well, not an animal that has had issues and hasnt placed for over two years.

All the best.

13 starts, 2 years and 5 months without a place. 50-1 is more like it. Because he's a grp 1 winner he gets big weights in handicaps and he's not good enough for WFA races anymore. Hard to see what races he can win.

All Silent is gone. Sad to see this great horse running past his peak. Very average on Saturday.

I think he's got you there, Nicholson.

Logic is a spear pointed at both ends as you've found out on here before.

You do tend to pay for your blood rushes. Keep it steady between the ears old son, it's not as though you're a weight-for-age performer.

Your caper is a handicap with not much on your back.

Backed All Silent on breeding (half to another favourite of mine Private Steer) at his first two starts and I don't know why but I've never backed him since. Missed his big Melb wins as a result. Hard to forget his first win - it was typical of his style. Well back in running then came with a phenomenal finish down the outside rail if memory serves me and on a very wet track, which has been his downfall since. Might explain his debut price.

A win today wouldn't surprise because anywhere near his best would blow this lot away but it's too long between drinks (for him). I'm liking Star of Octagonal and depending on how the track plays Happy Trails if backmarkers can win (same problem for AS). A very evenly graded race though. Good luck and fingers crossed the track plays fair.

hitensile,
I was going to post a similar thread today, you've saved me the trouble.
I've backed All Silent at just about every start he's ever had, and like yourself, was very impressed at the way he finished off the race at his last start.

Hope he can finish top three today.

Hitensile, one of my old faves as well... his Patinack Fram Classic was brilliant, but the HK. I watched his first up run, and have had a good go on him today. SOO for the quinella Good luck

Winner was super impressive

MD

He sure was WS. I'll never forget a couple of AS's wins but its time to retire him now.

All Silent was exactly that.

Never beaten anything any good. Slow animal.

I was a big fan of this horse and loved those explosive straight track wins at Flemington. The fact is though, he hasnt won a race since then which is two and a half years ago. It would be great to see him pull another big run like that but he has not run a place since his last win. Zero from 12 starts since November 2009 heading into today. Now it's nought from 13. Logic tells me you can't back him.

I also blackbooked him after his 1st up effort.

I'm with you Hisenburg..!!

tracks dried out nicely too...nom nom.

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts