Cox Plate weekend 2015 advice

Abraham Froman
Well I have raided my betting accounts and booked flights and accom for the cox plate weekend this year and looking for some input from anyone who has been before.

1) RE grandstand tickets on the cox day - I'm only going off what I can see from last year but looks like there will be a limited number of tickets available to the public in the inner circle, burston and upper burston stands. What's the difference in these? What's best? And would they go up for sale on ticketek? I've heard you have to go stand or spend the day rubbing up against other sweaty, drunk men.

2) Would you go grandstand on manikato night or ok for general entry?

3) Have a few hours to spare on the Friday, would it be worth calling into living legends (I think it's close to tullamarine) before heading into the city?

4) Any other tips for a group of country hicks?

Thanks

Abraham
You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

The mounting yard at Moonee Valley is pretty ordinary. I prefer to go out to the stalls area and watch the horses in the parade ring where they assemble before heading to the mounting yard. This area is generally pretty deserted on major race days and a pleasant spot to sit and view the horses.

Thanks Redleap, I've done just as you suggested and that's great to know about the horses parading. I'm assuming there's bars and facilities in behind the grandstand too so should be set. Can't wait.

If you look at the map on the brochure it gives you some idea of where the stands are situated. The Inner Circle is closer to the finish line. I've sat there once when Black Caviar was racing in the Australia Stakes, and the view is excellent.

Thanks dhaulagirl, just went and had a look and I'll buy that punters pack on Monday + buy the grandstand ticket for an extra 80. Still interested if anyone knows the difference between the stands? Abe

Abe,

I've been 2 of the last 3 years and have reserved seats in the Upper Burston Stand. This is undercover (which you'll appreciate if it rains) and you get a great view of the entire course.

There's no need to reserve seats for Manikato Stakes night (I'm not even sure if you can). The crowd is not very big and you can watch all the races from the Upper Burston Stand free of charge - and if you are clever, you can work out where your Saturday seat is in advance!

Enjoy your trip. It's a great weekend of racing and, best of all, the mounting yard is out the back of the stands so you can see all the horses close up without having to fight past the drunks!

cheers,
Redleap

Abe, or any other person interested, Manikato Stakes/ Cox Plate packages go on sale on Monday 25th May on the MVRC website. The best value package, if you're thinking of general admission, is the Punter's Pack for $60.00 which gets you into both the Manikato Stakes & Cox Plate meetings and gives you two free drink vouchers for the Manikato night meeting only.

Of course you can't see the Cox plate finish from the top of the straight - or only on the big screen - but it's a comfortable possie nonetheless and you can get a good view and photos of the horses going to the starting gates.

I just checked my last year's Cox Plate purchase and the early bird tickets were available in mid May. MVRC delay sending the tickets until late September/early October.

Thanks Dhaulagirl, that helps a lot, much appreciated. Would be great to see the start of the race and also see them sprinting around the camber on the turn.

Nice one Abe, I'm sure it will be a legendary trip - only the best for The Sausage King of Chicago

I've been attending the Cox Plate for the last 5 years on general admission, and have sussed that the place to stand (though you can sit on the grass) is up the top end of the straight, where there are fewer people. You can get a position on the fence and see the Cox Plate start close up. Also you don't have to wade through crowds of party goers to access the spot or leave it, as there is a way around the main crowd out the back.

I've never had trouble getting a drink or placing a bet on the day.

As I don't like to be confined to a grandstand, I can't advise on the virtues of one stand over another.

As for the Manikato, I don't go to that meeting, but I assume it would be less crowded than the Cox Plate meeting.

Check out the Moonee Valley website for info on tickets. I don't think they're offering them as yet, but if you book early online there are early bird discounts - eg General Admission Cox Plate tickets are normally about $55.00 but you can buy tickets early for $45.00.

MD

Living Legends is absolutely worth it - fantastic facility.

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts