Editing

cornerstore
I may be knit-picking here but who does the editing around here . . .
Have a look at all the spelling and grammar mistakes in this conundrance -

Leon Macdonald Charged After Boldenone Inquiry

Tuesday, 29 January 2008: Leading Adelaide trainer Leon Macdonald has been found guilty after a stewards inquiry into a Melbourne Cup Day winner at Morphettville returning a positive test to the banned substance Boldenone

Stewards have commenced an Inquiry into the circumstances in which a post-race urine sample taken from Lightly Spiced, winner of the Westfield Tea Tree Plaza Maiden Plate at Morphettville on November 6, was found to contain Boldenone.

Evidence has been taken from Macdonald, the gelding's part-owners Mr. B. Wise and Mr. P. Hunt, and TRSA vet Dr. P. Horridge.

Evidence tendered included the gelding's veterinary record and spelling history.

Stewards have also received the results of two elective samples taken from Lightly Spiced on December 1 and December 22 which also contained Boldenone.

After considering the evidence Macdonald was charged under Rule AR 178 relating to him being the trainer of Lightly Spiced at all relevant times leading up to and including November 6 and presentd the horse on that day with a prohibited substance in its system.

Macdonald has pleaded guilty but stewards have adjourned the inquiry after he requested additional time to fully explore certain factors which may be mitigating in their circumstances and to finalise a submission relative to penalty.

Lightly Spiced has been disqualified as the winner of the Novmber 6 race.

In Victoria trainer Brent Hollinhad ha ben suspended for three months after being found guilty of presenting Black Forst to rce at Warnamboool on October 16 with a TCO2 concentration greater than the allowed limit of 36.0 millimoles per litre in plasma.

His suspension expires at midnight on April 28

You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

Marvelous fillum 'Goodbye, Mr Crispes'. Robert Donat how good was HE?! But then again I'm not sure I remember this film nor could I find any evidence of typos in the Full Cast and Credits writeup. More news as it comes to hand.

I'M PINKLINE JONES OBE

First time for everything Cornerstone.

Mate, enjoy the site for what it is, and the services/information it provides.

Appreciate your response to a genuine (albeit small) concern Gary.

Keep up the good work.

Rex

Cornerstone......got nothing to do with right and wrong for me. I get it all for free and enjoy the site, so my care factor about a few typo's is absolutely zero........too trivial for mine.

cheers

Wot's wong wit Me spilling

Da Lingo in dishere c'ntry has changed a fare bit since I woz last in Skool

Duzzn't de langgwitch supposed to go Forward.. Ala evole

Wee's now speek diffrent to dem Shakys-spear people of yesteryear..

Ewe'e peeples need to get a LIFE

Timbo and Cornerstore,
You can't even get your own spelling and grammar correct, so I wouldn't bother correcting others if I was youse.
FJ

fatjack,

You didn't read my post. I don't have to have good spelling or grammar, I'm posting on a forum. If I was **paid** to do it, I would make sure that it was right.

Media Central is right, you cannot blame timeframes as a reason for mistakes. Were not taking the mickey out of the odd typo. If ANYONE had read the news article, they could see the problems.

The problem is that this site doesn't care about the mistakes. Even after highlighting the mistakes they are not fixed. Why? because they don't seem to care, it's the only reason you can come to? Why else would there be such errors? Don't other Racing and Sports employees read the stories, or are there too many errors so they read news elsewhere?

Dear Forum Users,

I appreciate your input on this subject. In this day of spell check etc there can be no excuse for these kind of errors and I agree with the sentiment expressed here by most of you except the fact we don’t care.

We do care and although from time to time we all make errors in spelling etc when rushing to get stories posted, it should not happen as regularly as it does and should be corrected once picked up.

That is the great thing about internet publishing, the author gets another chance to correct copy, unlike the printed version.

Everyone here is working under deadlines each day but that is no excuse. All I can say is we have made some headway in this area over the last few months but will try to do better.

Thank you all for your ongoing support.

Gary Crispe

Good on you Mr Crispe,

I also hope to improve the quality control of my own pre-eminent contributions and have the handmaidens pay closer attention to top quality proofreading as pertains to their key performance area and diligence in regards to feigned muscle knots - in addition of course to their many other important daily duties which include: keeping my wig polished, handling the often colourful incoming mail, checking that there is adequate water in the kettle, arranging bogus autographing of Pinkline Jones OBE merchandise, as well as keeping a watchful eye on any ingrowing toenail potential.

PINKLINE JONES OBE

A bus stops and two Italian men get on. They seat themselves, and engage in animated conversation. The lady sitting behind them ignores their conversation at first, but her attention is galvanized when she hears one of the men say the following:

''Emma come first. I come. Dennis come and Dennis come again. I come again. Two asses, they come together again. I come again and pee twice. Then I come once-a-more.''

''You foul-mouthed swine,'' retorted the lady indignantly. ''In this country we don't talk about our sex lives in public.''

''Hey, coola down lady,'' said the man. ''Imma just tella my friend howa to spella Mississippi.''

LOFR = Lying on Floor Ralphing.

Nice one Minister for Amber Fluid.

That's actually quite funny

I can't people complain so much about something that's free. It's a free world I guess.

I'd prefer articles were proofread. But Id rather write a bestseller manuscript with terrible typos than a load of tosh one with perfect spelling. Publishers would agree with me.

Well, well, well...

Seems the minority of users out there that would like to see a well put together piece don't in fact need to get a life but are merely asking for something that they should expect.

So to all you users that told us we need a life, well . . . we probably do, but at least we are right

It's an insult to the dreamers who waste
their 90+ TER scores on a Media and Communications
degree. Their are thousands walking around
with these things battling for a go in the
mailroom.

How does the fact that the site is free justify an alarming number of spelling mistakes?

Timbo already affirmed that he makes mistakes, we all do. The difference is he posts for recreation. For journalists, it’s there job.

Let’s get something straight. The site is not put up for 'our enjoyment.’ The site is a business that generates advertising revenue. Our presence ensures their survival.

Does an accountant put in the wrong figures and say, ‘agr shucks, that cash flow statement would have been accurate if I didn’t have that damn deadline?’

Or does a teacher give an A-deserving student a C, just to hand the work back in time?

I appreciate gaining the latest up-to-date racing news and reports, but I have to agree with the select few who would much prefer reading quality material.

I understand deadlines and the like but I don't believe a 20 second spell check would impinge on those deadlines to any great affect.

Back to school MC - read your own copy and mistakes!!!

cornerstore,

I think your right, and I can't believe the comments of the other advocating that serious spelling and grammar errors are ok.

I think it's different when puting up a forum post, if you make a type or misspell something, it's no big deal, I know I do.

But when it's your job (i.e. being a journalist), it's reflective of the quality of the work you produce.

The others that agree it's no big deal, it's sad. We're all being dragged down to the lowest common denominator.

Anyway, it's up to site, if they feel that all the typo's etc reflect their level of professionalism, so be it. You don't see it on other sites, why this one?

riv

This has been brought up before, and as far as I`m concerned the editors have responded adequately.
Lets face it we all now realise the time factor involved and can understand the importance of their haste. (well some of us anyway)

Remember; it`s FREE!!
riv.

Oh, sorry, forgot Gallopin.

Get a life cornerstone. Stop being a little twerp. Perhaps one of your many personalities could do some editing. Giddygal, Idalou or Rodeoroughie must have time on their hands.

It's up to R & S. If they just want to be a free "ah-you-get-what-you-pay-for" site then so be it. If they want to project an image of complete professionalism they should get a spell checker / proof reader. Maybe a few more people would pay for the services they offer. But that's their choice and it's our choice whether free is a good enough price to pay for their slightly less than perfect website. (I really should highlight the word "free")

If all you brown noses actually got you tongue's out of the bum's of the people that run this site and actually made your disapproval known they would actually do something about putting what they write into MS WORD and using the spell checker rather than me having to do it!

You could always protest by leaving the site for a couple of months.....see if they notice

Why do you have to do the spell check cornerstore? You know what the article is about and you obviously know what the mis spelt words are. If you need to do the spell check so you can understand what it is about then you are in strife. Get a life.

Cornerstore,
Me thinks your bow tie may be one size too small and your undies maybe as well. I don't think any of us are here to learn to spell and I for one am very happy to receive the best and most up to date racing information available with as many spelling mistakes/typos as necessary to receive a great product at a great price.
Cheers to all the staff at R&S who do a fantastic job.
3 Cheers
FJ

Well, if you insist on using "conundrance"....

"Horridge" is a middle English derivation from the old Latin "hortico" and the original Celtic "porridge".

Therefore it's no coincidence that oats have traditionally been a staple in English prison diets.

It's gruel world innit?

And the owners name is definitely "P. Hunt".

McGarret out

I actually pointed this out a month or two ago and took a beating for it from fellow forumites. I think the quality is much better now although I completely agree that a spell checker wouldn't go astray.

Some people, seriously........

Rex

if everyone chips in $1 or $2, perhaps we could raise enough to donate to those who need to get a life!!!

chears

It's a professional site.

They should get a spell-checker.

"knit-picking"?

GET A LIFE !

This site is the best site for information and by far the worst for editorial mistakes.

Everyday, so many.

What about this one that appeared on the front page:

Magic Millions Launches Online E-Catalaogue

or second lead in international news

Progeny by Coolmore stallions have ben accaliamed in the World Thoroughbrd Rankings for 2007.

or this one as the lead breeding story

Trainer John Sargent will syndicate the $NZ1.45 million colt by Redoute's Choice puchased during the second Premier session of the National Yearling Sales at Karaka.

How about all the forum users chip in say $1-$2 and buy Racing and Sports a spelling checker. It would make it more enjoyable to actually read the stories instead of guessing the words.

Duck!

Torp..

To all you dimwits who keep complaining about the editing or lack of it, this observation/criticism has been made a number of times and ANSWERED COMPLETELY SATISFACTORILY on more than one occasion by both Gary and Chris.

R&S provides a brilliant service for all of us freeloaders who don't subscribe to anything but enjoy getting the racing news from around the globe hot off the press.

So, keep your big mouth shut and enjoy what you get and the quality that you get while you keep getting it for free.

I have a suggestion toolkits, cut and paste the stories into MS Word and do your own spelling and grammar checks. Otherwise, peas off and let them get on with providing this wonderful facility for all racing fans.!!!

Rex

Crikey Benox!!! the normal kahoona attitude but it all makes sense....well done mate.

cheers

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts