The Rarest of the Rare

justlikejoe
Hi guys,

Can I start by saying, this is not a crow.
Met a few mates for lunch yesterday for a counter meal and a couple of bets as a prelim to venturing on to a mutual mate of ours 50 th birthday celebrations. After a slow start the day turned out to be a freakish one on the punt.
I’d had a brief look at the form Friday night, played golf Saturday morning and headed to the pub with no real intent. Somehow the planets aligned and this was the result. (Cant remember exact order, but here goes)
Coram unpl
Hi Son $6.50
Agent unpl
The White Hope 2nd
Five All $6.00
Belfast Boy $9.00
Red Excitement $6.50
Pin unpl
Dormello $5.60
November Grey $3.60
Shamal Wind $13
Junoob $2.60

12 bets 8 winners

It was astonishing. I really had my tail up by Shamal Wind and a few of the lads followed me in. We nearly tore the joint down when she burst through. Surely im not alone here and most of us have had that rare day where no wrong can be done. Trot out your stories guys, id love to read about them.

Joe.
You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

Great post, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all these success stories. I think my perfect day is still to come, but here are a few highlights of mine, perhaps some of you were on a few of them:

Golden Slipper Day 2004 – We made the drive down from Brisbane (who drives from Bris to Sydney these days?!) and it looked a good program for the punters. A few mates went in on Mustard early in the day and cleaned up at 20/1, but I waited and stuck to my plan – Starcraft (evens) all up Special Harmony (4/7) all up Lonhro (8/15). I liked Dance Hero but didn’t have the courage to go all up again and downgraded. Still a good collect at 6/1. My only other bet was Mummify in the BMW (2nd).

Slipper day 2006 – We went again but thought there was no way we could top 04. I backed Serenade Rose in the Arrowfield (5/4), I liked Racing to Win in the Ryder (again my mates went in a 13/2 or so) but piked out as Paratroopers was backed off the map, alas RTW won and became Sydney’s best horse for a couple of years. I then jumped on Eremein in the BMW (7/4), Mnemosyne in the Queen of the Turf (9/4) and jagged Gorgonite in the last at about 8/1 I think. I was counting my cash after that and forgot that I had put a few exotics on, when I checked them there was a $500 collect on the Arrowfield trifecta.

Slipper day 07 – Why not go again? Not a huge winning day but winning nonetheless. A big go on Miss Finland in the Arrowfield (1.70) and Divine Madonna in the Queen of the Turf (5.50) then interstate on Bianomour and we were well up. Some of the group got on Forensics in the slipper too. We went again in 09 I think when it was a heavy 10 and it was a disaster…

A couple of my other favourite memories would be Doomben 10K in 2002, As poor uni students we made the treck up in my mates’ ‘push start pulsar’ and were lucky to get there. There was talk of falvelon being a bit past his best, I think Lord Essex beat him at their previous start. We waited for the main race and pooled what we could spare outside of beer money ($200) and waited and waited as Falvelon eased with the bookies. I was certain we could get 3/1 and with about 2 minutes to jump Brian Ogilvie (as he used to do) looked out at the betting ring and turned Falvelon out, there was a rush but I was in there first, got set for an $800 collect and hightailed it out to the grass as they turned for home. Oli urged him along, Wayne Wilson gave an exciting call and the crown roared! I have some photos collecting the ticket and of that night, great memories.

The other one would be Doomben Cup day in 2010 I think. We went to the bowlo, I only had $25 for a few hours of fun. I kept $20 to buy a round and put the $5 on the quaddie – 3 in the first leg including Pressday and then one out Rothesay, Metal Bender and a Snowden horse (beaded I think) to bring it home. 166% was about $500 I think from next to nothing.

Abe

So that makes it ok then, does it?

Don't complain about others trashing your thread if you do exactly the same.

What a sook.

WCF,

Here you are whinging and whining about being bullied, complaining about others going off topic and ruining threads.

Scroll back and find a post on this thread prior to your first one and tell me who's gone off topic or who has abused anyone else.

Even khaptingly added something better than you on this thread.

Zero winning tips from wcf
Lots of whinging
Lots of stalking
Lots of trolling

He has been the same for 10yrs

A sook and a waste of space

Rare gems indeed but they do exist. I remember backing Theseo as a three year old against the older ones one day at the races in Brisbane. Got up at 11s jagging the tri a few times and exacta 10 times. Also bought 2 1st 4s for 50% giving the trouble and strife one for luck. 1st 4 paid $17k for each half.... dived into the top shelf and emboldened by the lucidity repellant had my biggest ever bet $1k ew on a think called Shin Kicking Cowgirl which won by 6 in the wet at 11s.....forensics are still to report on the rest of the day/evening.

It does happen....but oh so rarely.

Its what keeps us all in the game.

Stop playing the victim here, Herman.
Apart from this thread I can show you another two in the last 4 weeks where you had an unprovoked shot at me.

Why would I care if you post a story on this thread? Did I try to discredit Quez's story? No I didn't because he was posting in the spirit of the topic.

No triple trio marbine...?

damn..

WS - no specific method mate, just me reading form and the planets aligning. May I add, I was betting on 2 horses to win in each race and boxing 4 horses in the quinellas so not as magical as it may appear but, as you put it, freakish nonetheless.

I have been following HK racing for over a decade so there was some informed form reading but obviously litres & litres of luck.

Quez, no, I didn't bother with the TT, was happy with my lot :-)

Number of posts this year:

Cletis 176

Me 5

"Looks like the old saying about the 'Empty Vessel' is true. LOL "

(Looks like you and your Special Boy Wonder need some new material.)

Cletis, what part of new material don't you understand?

You mean like the rubbish you put up on the Tasmania racing thread? Then like the cane toad you are you spread to other (unrelated) threads rubbishing Tasmanian racing on them too.

I pondered whether I even put up that post. (I could have asked elsewhere on the Net.) Given the mindless bullies arrived as expected I do wonder now (same as many people who have stopped posting on here.)

Toady, why would I bother writing about my best betting days when me and a whole range of people know that you and your toady mate are poised at your keyboards all day just waiting to pounce on us manipulating, contriving and lying about our every statement?

You are so desperate to belittle people you don't even know. And most people are awake to you. Do you ever even leave your keyboard?! Is that all that's left in life? How sad.

Herman, this is a thread where everyone is sharing stories and reliving the times of their best days punting.

What are you doing here?
Have you never had a good day that you'd like to share with the forum?

Instead of making any kind of worthy contribution on this thread, all you're doing here is making a nuisance of yourself.

Tonto summed you up perfectly, go and make a nuisance of yourself somewhere else.

'Cletis, what part of new material don't you understand?'

I don't understand any of it, explain it to me.

Then show us any winner that you've tipped here in the 10 years or so that you've been posting on this forum.

Surely a person who's been frequenting a horse-racing forum for TEN years can produce ONE winning tip from all that time.

In your case it would appear, not - How embarrassing! LOL

Herman, you've just shown us that you know how to search the archives, so go and find the last winner you tipped on this forum.

Surely you can find at least, ONE! How embarrassing if you can't. ROFL!!!

Nice one marbine .

Did I just read a post from krapper where he almost sounded normal ?

Nice work Patsy, nice...I'm going one year for sure, deffo on the list.

Cheltenham Festival around 1992 I think i was 16..unfortunately it wasn't one day it was 3..

We were going for the 3 days and my dad owned a horse called rushmere anyway he became a nh sire and an offspring of his rushing wild was running on the final day and was 12-1 ante post..

So were in stow on the wold in a local bookies near Cheltenham and its packed and I do a throwaway £3 accumulator..
Flown in the first at 7-1
going on Royal.Gait in the champion hurdle 3rd race at 6-1
going on Remittance Man at evens on day 2
going on Rushing Wild at 12-1 on day 3..

They all won getting me over £3500..when Rushing Wild won on the final day it was unreal..every race takes forever and I was exhausted a fabulous memory.. Wish id done a
£20 acca! :)

I've been to the Hong Kong Cup 3 times. Luckily (flukeishly??) I won enough on my first trip to pay for the second. Maybe it was because I travelled alone the first time??

Happy Valley December 10th 2008, International Jockey's Challenge Night. 8 race program. I bet the "win" & "quinella" only on this night. 6 winners races 2 - 7 ($12, $14, $10, $12, $8.50 & $3.3) & 7 quinellas races 2 - 8 ($56, $44, $52, $22, $91, $8 & $18).

Couldn't do a thing wrong, still can't believe it happened (had to check the HKJC website to get the divs for here).

Never had a day like it before or since but the memories are great.

4 horse quins not so great then. 2 horse quins like that would be incredible

Marbine this is freakish. What method were u using?

A few yrs ago i was on fire with quinellas for about 3 mths. Had a strike rate around 35%.

Last 30 quin bets all lost. Totally gone pear shaped.

Betto, classic!!!!
Some great stories there guys.
Have to agree Speeds, the rush you describe is an amazing feeling, and probably not hard to see why some of the less fortunate chase it.

Joe.

Cletis hasn't had a winning day in almost 30 years. Classic!

In the early 90's I lived in northern Victoria and myself and 2 other mates decided to go to Melbourne for the weekend. Races on Saturday and footy on Sunday and home late Sunday night was the plan. There was no Sunday racing in those days hence the races were the target for the Saturday. We all won at least $200 each at the races and walking to the nearest pub one of the crew decided to drop into a newsagency for a packet of smokes. Whilst in the shop we chose to throw just over $20 each into lotto quick picks. We shared $700,000 between the 3 of us.

We all stayed in Melbourne an extra night, did not even get to the footy and took Monday off work. Lucky we all worked for different employers. We were not even sure how much we had won for a while, not almost instant divs like these days, but knew it had to be at least a few hundred thousand.

Actually Herman, the last winner that I tipped here was Unencumbered in the MM 2 year old classic last month.

Perhaps you could tell everyone here the name of the last winner you tipped on this site.

Herman hasnt tipped a winner in 10 yrs lol

Yes WS, looks like Herman's having a bit of trouble finding the last winner he tipped on this forum.

Looks like the old saying about the 'Empty Vessel' is true. LOL

I thought you were quoting Colonel Doolittle.

Lol Betto classic

Rosehill back in 1982. I went out that day to watch Kingston Town and saw a horse in an earlier race owned in the same interests named Isle of Biscay having its first start.
This horse ran 5th and its run said "back me next start".
A couple of weeks later I saw it in a midweek at Canterbury, a 3YO 0MW race that was in two divisions. Isle of Biscay was in race 2 and 6/4fav. In the 1st division was another to race in the gold with red striped sleeves and cap making its debut.
That horse was Chiamare listed at 10/1. I had $5 each way on it and $10 straight Isle of Biscay.
Chiamare stormed down the middle of the track and I too was listening on radio and nearly fainted when Des Hoystead said it paid $126.00 for a win and $24 for a place. Isle of Biscay won too but that didn't seem to matter to this struggling uni student.
Too bad I wasn't on track. The next days paper carried the story of the longest priced winner ever on an Australian track. Starting at 330/1 Chiamare equalled the record at that price which was held by the champion Dulcify.
Interestingly both equal record holders went on later in their careers to start favourite in a Melbourne Cup.
This record was eclipsed a few months later by another TJ Smith horse Antelle which also won at Canterbury starting at 500/1

Prior to derby day a few years back I'd been going through a terrible run of outs but I really liked Nechita in the Coolmore.
Just had that feeling you sometimes get.
When Khap declared it a lay that really improved my confidence.
Don't usually bet big but I will have a little lash every now and then when you just get that 'vibe' about a horse.
Anyway I had a few hundred on it on fixed odds on the Friday @$3.90.I had to listen to the race in the car on Sat on the way to pub to meet some mates.It blew out to $5.50.Anyway it wins and Im a bit p!ssed at my 'shortfall' by taking the unders.
I thought to myself I'm backing something rough to make back the money I missed out on.
I ended up backing Too Hi Tek in Sydney @$151 fixed odds. When it won I knew it was my day.
I then had a decent go at Biggles in Bris @$20/1 and backed Classics in Sydney @$10.
Only four winners I backed all day.Would have been enormous if Super Cool won the Derby but you cant get too greedy.
I shouted the boys beers all arvo(yes the majority of the 'muppets' were on XXXX gold WS :-) put some money on the table for everyone to take turns having a bet and went home extremely happy with a fistful of moolah for a change.
Gotta saviour those days as we all know they don't come around often enough.

1986 was my first Melbourne Cup Day as an independent paying customer, and it was a warm one. A fleet of us came up from Geelong, and we hooked in. Then the winners started coming. Hore-Lacy's Colonial King won the Cup Hurdle. Midnight Fever won her debut 2YO race. Fair Paint beat Military Plume down the straight. I backed them all. By Cup time my pockets were bulging, and boy was I p1ssed. As I staggered through the Elms ring I saw 11-1 At Talaq. I had the biggest bet of my life (to that stage) on him - $150 each way.

He drew wide, but Michael Clarke had him comfortably in the one by one by the time they went past us in the Lawn Stand the first time. All I had to do was wait.

At the top of the straight, Bill Collins roared AT was "poised behind them"; as Clarke let him go & he passed Rising Fear I started roaring myself. Sea Legend came home well for third, and I vividly recall Kiwi flashing home for fourth, with Noel Harris jumping off very soon after the line as the old fellow jarred up badly.

I don't recall what won the sixth or the seventh races, but I know I backed them. I was looking at The Perfect Day coming to the last; a very open mare's race. The adulation from the lads was ego inflating, but rather unnerving, particularly as I became even further inebriated. I plumped for a sparingly raced promising filly named Ginger (who wore grey and pink from memory); I was worried about a mare of Ray Lawson's called Glowing Idol (who carried Collingwood colours - why didn't I realise?).

History shows my suspicions were correct; Ginger came nowhere, Glowing Idol saluted, and my Perfect Day was ruined. But the next day I had some wonderful mementoes - a loaded wallet, a massive hangover and radioactive-strength sunburn.

What a day.

Nige

I've had a couple of days over the years where I've jagged a large amount of winners, my problem has been that I tend to give alot of it back thinking I can convert my luck from one track to another....lol.

I had a big day at the Albury races back in the 80's when I got 7 of the 9 winners in Melbourne betting 10 or 20 each way on them all. Problem was I'd intermittently blow the last races profits in an obscure race in Adelaide or Brisbane with no form study. I did still walk out that day with 500 in my pocket, so all was good anyway. Had I stuck with just Melbourne and the same bet amounts, it could well have been 1500.

But the day sticks out to me was 1996 AJC Derby day, the year Octagonal won.

I got the last six winners in a row at Caufield including Cheif Havoc won romped in for Brian Cox. A mate and I had gone to the new Port Macquarie RSL club TAB, they had put in the price fluc screens that lit up hugely on the wall. We got there just as the second race at Caulfield was about to jump, so we watched on and the winner lead all the way. Caulfield had built a reputation back then as a leader bias track on any given day, so I figured it was going to be one of those days and ran my eyes over the guide accordingly.

And thats how the day panned out, the last 6 winners either lead or were in the first two on the turn and I had them all.

Now for the problem...lol.

I did stick only to Melbourne and Sydney, but the latter was not kind to me. In fact I think the punting gods decided I was doing too well in Melbourne and teased me in Sydney.

I had King Brian (2), Ruffles (2), Filante (3) and Juggler (3) all go down very narrowly.

Juggler was the biggest killer, I unloaded on him as I thought he was a given considering his WFA form that prep. He was the difference between walking out with a $100 profit or a $500 one.

All in all it was fun and frustrating at the same time.

Back in 1981, I was holidaying in Sydney, and I went to the races (Rosehill) with a mate. I cannot even remember what was a standard bet for me then - 1, 2 or 5 each way ptobably 1 EW.

I remember my first bet at Rosehill was a 25/1 winner - I think its name began with Dance.

Anyway throughout the day I backed several long priced winners including Rose Of Kingston in the Ascot Vale. She was a favourite of mine before this win.

My mate couldn't believe the absolute ass I had displayed in backing all these good priced winners.

My best bet for the day was in the last at Flemington, and at that stage I was up about $1400. I remember this amount as it guided my bet on Carringbush. I initially had $200 to win at 10/1 but when it blew to 12's, I decided to at least keep my $1000 profit, and I bet another $200 at12's. Why I didn't back him each way, was my absolute faith in the horse. He was relatively unsound, but top class in my opinion.

Carringbush was a leader and he was in front turning into the straight and one would think I would be nervous with my biggest win of all time looming. I have to say that if I was nervous, it was only momentary as the further down the straight the race went, the further in front Crringbush went. I think it won by 4 lengths. Unbelievable excitement for us both.

I asked my mate to be my guard as I collected the $3400 off the one bookie.

I have since had many bigger wins, but never the same success with the number of winners at big odds.

MD

Two of the 3 Cox Plates I've been to I've had amazing days, with 6 and 7 winners (didn't get one winner out of the 10 races in the other, but that's another story!).

To make it better, in '04 I had been virtually 'letting it ride' with the winnings and when Dandy Kid saluted at double figure odds (I think it was the last) with my biggest bet ever I just couldn't believe my luck. Ended up at the Cas' shouting mates double spirits all night and even had a few decent collects on the tables. Crawled back into the mate's house where I was staying at around 8am for a few hours kip before flying home that arvo. The partner wasn't too impressed at the state I was in after being away all weekend, but she soon forgave me after I emptied the wallet and told her to get something nice for herself!

Tiger,

Cletis tried to sabotage my thread at 11am. At 6 that night i posted my comment on here. It wasn't noble but the modus operandi of him and his partner in crime gets rather tiresome.

Herman's proved many times in the past that he likes to dish it out but runs off crying 'poor victim me' when he gets some back at him.

A very sad case.

Two observations.

This is a great thread. Well done Joe.

WCF, is NQR.

That's a good day joe. Well done.

I backed half the card at the Melbourne Cup two years on the trot. Makybe's 2nd and 3rd years. It's usually a low key punting day but when I back one I tend to plonk the whole collect on the next. I remember the year Makybe won her second well. I'd backed 3 of the previous 4 winners heading into the last when I ran into an old cricket mate. He suggested Geelong Majestique was a bird in the last. Having a wallet full and being on a roll I thought why not and pulled out $100. The two blokes I was with had both had dirty days so decided to ride on my coat tails. $300 on the nose at $8. Finished the day off nicely as opposed to the usual Cup Day punting mess that occurs and it was sweet collecting it all from Simon Beasley.

Cox plate day the year Solvit won I was at Manly Leagues club. Backed 5 winners in a row incl Solvit at 20s.

A few yrs back i backed 5 in a row as well.

One day at Randwick I backed 9 winners from 15 bets.

Those days r rare but its an incredible feeling when u hit a hot streak.

My worst was at Randwick when.i backed about 15 losers in a row. Went to casino after and lost more until the last 20 mins when i hit a win and got half the losses back.

I remember one day I went round to the local on a Sunday afternoon to get some wine for our meal we were having that day, I thought I'd put a few quick bets on while I'm there won't hurt...lol hour and a half later my missus is calling going off her rocker asking where am I the food is getting cold...

I backed a dog it won, $25, a horse at the sunshine coast it won $6, then another in Vic, it won $10, then a couple of placings, then found another dog at $13...then I had to go home, the girl on the machine and I knew each other well from my days there with the punting club on Saturday, she was laughing her head off as collect after collect came then when I was on a huge roll said I gotta go the missus is calling me for the wine and dinner is gettin cold...

No form, simply picked them off the screens, totally mug style, but gee it was a profitable 1 hr or so...think I started with $20 - $10 ew on the dog and walked out with around $700 ish..

rare those days..

Sandown Cup day 1986.

One income, raising a young family and paying off a home, it didn't leave much spare cash at the end of the week. My punting in those days was very limited.

Can't remember how, but that week, for some reason, come Saturday I had a spare $5 in my pocket, so, off I went to the TAB.

I played the horses with that $5 for hours, up and down, never anything to get excited about, just enough to keep me betting for a while longer.

When the Sandown Cup came along, I had $3 left, just enough for a half share of a 3 horse boxed trifecta.

I don't know how I settled on the three horses I selected, but I do remember putting in one of the favoured runners in Periscope. The other two were Pharostan at around 20/1 and Run For Cover also at double figure odds.
I took a chance and left out the favourite, Empire Rose.

There was only radio coverage of the races in those days and around the turn, the race-caller had called Run For Cover back near the tail of the field.
I started heading for the door.

At the 100m the caller said that Periscope and Pharostan had the race to themselves, 'That'd be right' I remember thinking to myself.

At the post it was Pharostan by a neck to Periscope, then, I heard the words '... photo for third between Empire Rose and Run For Cover who finished fast along the inside'.

I froze on the spot. I always lose-out in photo finishes, Empire Rose will get this photo for sure, this is going to be agony, I thought!

The seconds seemed like minutes and minutes like hours, then came the announcement 'Run for Cover got the photo in Melbourne'.

What a feeling!! I'm shaking, I'm checking the ticket to make sure I put the right numbers on it, I'm starting to do calculations in my head at what the trifecta might pay. I remember thinking, even with a half share, there's gotta be a few hundred dollars in this for me. Woohoo!!

When the dividends came through, my half share was worth $1590.00, I couldn't believe it, neither could the lady at the TAB as she paid me out. I can still see the look on her face.

Every punter has one day that will never be repeated, a day that stays with you as long as you live.
That was my day.

Good thread, Joe.

Not so much as a run but I do remember the day I first realized there was track bias , was still in high school and was at Randwick with a friend , cannot for the life of me remember the name of the horse but it was about the 5th race on an amazingly leader dominated track , in those days I would take $50 to the track plus ferry and bus fare
I found this horse that had been leading them in every race over the Easter carnival but folding up in the last 200m , I told my friend I was that confident it would win I was going to have my bus and ferry money on it as well and if it got beaten I would walk home to Manly , $52 at 20-1 .

It was a f12king long walk .

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts