Back When...

Hands N Heels
For those who weren't aware, Australasia lost two of its stars of yesteryear in the last 3 weeks.

Triple Doomben Cup and 11 time G1 winner ROUGH HABIT passed away on Thursday last at 28 years joining VEANDERCROSS who died on Caulfield Cup day aged 26. Reminds me of a time when we had genuine WFA superstars and a plethora of them.
You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

Great horses both of them, a couple of Kiwi legends.

http://youtu.be/lFhfmgddFVk

http://youtu.be/dm3TMsDtzDc

2 of my favourite horses.

The Naturalism v Venadercross trio of clashes in the Canterbury/Rosheill Guineas races + Derby in the Autumn of 1992 were epic. I remember they sacked Jim Walker for his rides on Veandercross, only for Shane Dye to produce his "classic" in the Caulfield Cup of that year.

As for Rough Habit, 3 Doomben Cups, 2 Stradbrokes, 2 Hollindales, Queensland Derby, O'Shea Stakes, Sir Byrne Hart Stakes...he owned the Winter Carnival. Its a shame the Brisbane Cup wasn't run over 2400 metres back then or he'd have a couple of those to his name as well.

Great horses in a great era.

Queeenslanders are very parochial folk but they certainly adopted Roughie as one of their own. One of my favourite race calls was Wayne Wilson's (who was also lost recently) call of roughie's last start, a win, in the O'Shea stakes.

I too loved Veandercross battles with Naturalism although I was firmly in the Naturalism camp. I remember having a really good collect on the Daily Double after V won the Mackinnon, having taken him with the field.

RIP champs

When i first holidayed in oz i was watching those 2...loved the way the aussies looked up to them and the affection they have for there horses..

Was durbridge another one? Same era?

Schilacci was my first bet in oz..92?

Two races from those two stand our for me.

Veandercross in the Mackinnon when he dipped and ducked and weaved down the Flemington straight looking for a run.

Rough Habit in the Stradbroke the year Schillaci started fav. Came from last through the field in a remarkable performance.

Two legends.

There was a time when people would tune into the Qld carnival just to watch Rough Habit go around.

MD

I'd heard about RH but not Veandercross thanks Hands. These stories should be made more public to provide the 'other side' of racing to those who feel it is about horses dying.

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts