AFL in Wonderland

Gattonera
The ever-escalating spiral of exasperating madness continues....

Jeff Geischen quote
"But quite clearly one of the things is that Hodge has elected to go to ground. By Hodge electing to go to ground, he has a responsibility not to make any contact below the knees of his opponent, and that is what's happened"

or to paraphrase - the players going in to get the ball have a duty of care to current spectators and future spectators around the ball

More common sense starved kneejerk sudden rule changes by the powers that be. Vive la revolution!

You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

I can assure you that the game reached its zenith in season 2007 MD. Unfortunately only one team had the secret. Check out the Cats/Roos 07 prelim final. Sublime.

Agree Doosra. Was going to put that in as one area which needs urgent attention. Flicks aren't handpasses and when both hands travel forward to pass the ball it should generally be pinged imo. Getting too far away from what a handball originally was because of the intense pressure and speed of the game.

Might be a bit of truth in what you say Kidlat but for the most part I'm watching a very different game to you. There are plenty of free flowing matches every season. Some of the high intensity shut-down type games, while not being a joy to watch from a purist sense, are terrific contests. For me the best games are somewhere in between.

I've read a lot of railing in recent years about rule changes from the "leave it alone" mob but I admit I'm hard-pressed to find any recent change which hasn't improved the game. Deliberate rushed behinds, hands in the back, chopping the arms, deliberate OOB, out on the full, diving on the ball and locking it in. The interpretations are sometimes wrong but that will occur no matter what you do.

I love the 120 minutes. Compared to the paltry 60 minutes of action in rugby and marginally more in league it's a fan's dream. Unique game, one of the best sports in the world, and it hasn't gone backwards since I started following it many decades ago.

I'm with geelongs assessment here.

I watch as many games as I can each weekend and enjoy nearly all of them.
I can't for the life of me see how anyone doesn't think the game is a better spectacle now than at any time in the past.

MD

Disagree Lister. In my opinion the game was at its greatest during the late 80s and 90s - the filthy acts had largely gone from the game and it had become much more professional and the athleticism of the players took a giant step from previous generations. It's also, in my opinion, the era where the game's greatest FOOTBALLERS (not athletes) put on clinics nearly every week - Carey, Ablett, Lockett, Dunstall, Williams, Kouta, et al.

I don't believe that the game has benefitted from the 'move the ball on at all costs' mentality. Throwing the ball and incorrect disposal, no reward for great tackles and this 'coast to coast' rubbish that everyone seems to get so excited about - FFS, go and watch basketball if that is your thing!

One of the great things we have MD is the opinion.

It divides footy supporters continually on any number of topics.

There's a lot of truth in that Kidlat. For example the throw is now a normal part of these frenzied passages of play. Once in a while the umpire will blow the whistle on a particularly blatant example but mostly not.

Is it AFL or NRL for God's sake?

Makes me mad to see endless instances of incorrect disposal and what's worse - the players are obviously coached to do just that, in the name of keeping pace with this supposedly "improved" version of the game.

I agree with the rule in principle but the interpretation certainly needs some work. My understanding is that coaches agreed to it as a duty of care after the stats showed the practice was leading to significant injury - although I admit I always thought the latest change was also designed to protect the head/neck of the slider, not just the shins of the upright player as suggested by one commentator on the weekend.

I didn't like the way players were increasingly using the ploy to get a free kick for head high contact and at the same time risking injury to themselves and others. It isn't, as one comment suggested "impossible to adjudicate" but it takes judgement and better direction from Geishen. Hodge should have been penalised on Sunday, Hayes in an earlier round not penalised.

Also saw a classic rushed behind penalty overlooked in the Swans-Roos game when Hyphen stepped back over the line simply to avoid being tackled. Seems that law has slipped into umpire oblivion although players are mostly observing it extremely well.

If the Hawks-Pies game is anything to go by the rule which has been totally thrown out without fanfare is incorrect disposal. So many throws/inept attempts to handball that it wasn't funny. I know it was wet but I think the umps were overly generous in their interpretation of what was "trying". The players quickly caught on though.

They're like an obsessive compulsive child- they are simply unable to leave the game alone. Rule changes which will invariably necessitate more rule changes as their unintended consequences kick in. Trying in vain to craft a game they think will appeal to more and more people, all the while taking the rusted on for granted.

The incorrect disposal is an interesting one, as the game has evolved differently from what the top brass probably imagined with all their tinkering. Not exactly the open, free-flowing showcase of skill and athleticism they for which they seem to be striving. Rather, pressure on the ball carrier and the denial of time and space is the prevailing trend. And with a diluted talent pool due to an over-expanded competition, there are fewer teams with enough players with the skill and vision to adapt to the new paradigm.

As a result game has become a frenzied, frenetic, mistake-riddled mess where players have to get rid of the ball any old how. How many turnovers can we cram into a minute? Combine this with the fact that the game goes about half an hour too long and I'm finding 90% of games just about unwatchable.

But not to worry, I'm sure the AFL has a solution.....

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts