Carlton. Is the window slightly ajar?

Mr Lister
After scraping into the finals last year courtesy of Essendon the Blues made it through to the second week. Was that merely a stroke of good fortune or are they good enough to improve? Malthouse wouldn't be there to build a team from the ground up so he has clearly been put in place to try and strike while they believe they can. They have also traded as though they believe they are not far off.

I'm not so convinced. Judd is getting older. Kruezer is injury prone. Have they solved their ruck issues? Is Daisy the X factor? Do they have a good enough midfield?

It took an exceptional effort from Duigan in the first final and he is no longer there. Waite is on the wrong side of 30 and fans are still waiting for him to become the player he has promised. He needs to fire consistently. Henderson needs to be the dominant defender and not a swing man.

I reckon they have over estimated where they are at and could be usurped by the likes of Richmond, North, Essendon, the Eagles and perhaps the Suns and Bulldogs.

In my opinion they are going to need absolutely everything to go right to at least maintain 9th position.
You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

Brainiac agreed. Waite is a player who could have been anything but never lived up to the hype. Carlton should have gone out and bought a key forward or back with the money they spent on Thomas.

As MD has said in another thread Carlton should have kept Ratten on as coach until his contract ran out. Then maybe had a crack at Paul Roos or kept Ratten on as coach. Rats did a very good job with what he had to work with.

MD yes it has been a long time between drinks but I'm just happy to see Melbourne improve on and off the ground at this stage. It's all looking good so far.

I can also smile that we got Carlton's scalp earlier in the year and didn't the blue baggers lay down :)

Well as a Pies supporter I can barely believe I'm saying this, but - I don't think that overall, Carlton are any more guilty of "sniping" than any other football side. They have some big onfield issues creating frustration in the players that's for sure - but it's neither fair or accurate to character assassinate an entire team. Not even Carlton :)

These are my thoughts on Carlton.

First step. Cull. Number 1 target should be Waite. Number 2 the recruiting team. Daisy Thomas has gone from being behind Swan, Pendlebury, Beams, Sidebottom, Cloke, Maxwell in terms of the pecking order for importance and leadership to being a marquee signing. You don't see Watson or Judd or Kennedy or Mitchell or Hodge or McVeigh or Harvey leading and showing the way by worrying about their haircut or their sideburns. A Grade w@$ker. Carlton needed to do better but Mick obviously had his say on the matter. He should be number 3.

MD I'd rather be a Melbourne support with their side looking like heading in the right direction. Rather than following those cheque book warriors called Carlton who appear do be heading in the other direction to Melbourne. I'm glad you cherished memories of days gone by.

Just like Melbourne it has been a very long time since Carlton held the cup up on that one day in September.

Hold the press Carlton are back in the headlines. A player cut loose and his contract paid out. Seems it's not the first time social media has caused problems at Princess Park. Brock McLean was a very lucky man as well for his use of social media. Or his contract was a whopper to pay out?

Thats two retired and one sacked from the list before 2014 is over. I'd be tipping there'll be quite a few others on the list very worried about their places.

MD

"Just like Melbourne it has been a very long time since Carlton held the cup up on that one day in September."

Haha, that's what's called drawing a very long bow - there's only about 30 years difference!

Carlton have won half a dozen flags since Melbournes last one.

Oh MD touch, touch I love your passion towards Carlton. But they are snipers and take cheap shots.

Oh the pain you must feel when Waite has a brain snap. How long has he been playing senior footy? Oh that is right 12 years and is a senior player? That missed goal of Chris Yarran's on Saturday night that cost the blues any chance of winning. Remember what happened next? I DO. That missed goal really must of tipped him over the edge to smack Hanley to the neck?????

Then we have all the other weak acts week in weak out. Watch Thomas next time and see him try at every chance to take a cheap shot.

But no Carlton aren't weak or snipers. Let's watch them play Geelong & Hawthorn and I'll bet the cheap shots dry up.

MD

Did you say you're a Melbourne supporter Relic? And you're saying others must feel pain watching their team?! ROFLMAO!!!

I've had a lot of joy watching my team during my life, shame you can't say the same. You should be on the Tribunal, you could bring in the soft footy you so obviously crave. Clearly you know nothing about the game and its physical history so cut your whining.

Well Geelong you're entitled to your view as I am to mine. I don't say that you repeat yourself over and over with some of your views. But other might say you do?

I've watch all the side this year and quite a lot of the Carlton games closely. I can so 90% of the side play the ball and play hard. As for Carlton you know my thoughts.

MD the comments I make about Carlton sniping and trying to bully kids is fact. One only has to watch the games to know it. I also know like you Carlton are no good and a very average side. Richmond is also struggling but you don't see the tigers go around sniping do you?

I'm sure the lads at the newer clubs (has there been a worse named team than the GWS Giants in the history of Australian footy?) would love to read that they're soft. I've endured a few of their games and some of these softies aren't beyond a bit of sniping themselves from time to time. Suffice to say your comments are ridiculously overblown Relic, only made worse by their repetition.

MD

Good point Geelong. Not to mention one of said "kids" actually proved himself to be a "thug" off the field recently.

MD

Add "sniping" to "kids", "thugs" etc in your list of pathetic language - obviously a little boy not in control of your emotions. If their "sniping" was such "fact" then they'd have players being rubbed out every week. Go and watch netball or something - if you really think there's sniping and thugs in the game these days then you're too soft to cope with it.

Brainiac agree the next few weeks will be interesting.

North looked very good again last night. How good can they be if they start to play like that week in and out?

Port are starting to get a couple of injuries. It will be interesting to see how deep their list is.

MD it seems you can give it, but can't take it? That's the way it seems?? Remember these comments to Doorsa??? If the cap fits hey??

Author: MD Send message to this user
Subject: Re: Carlton. Is the window slightly ajar?

Time: 17/5/2014 3:18:52 PM

Doos, it is even more amazing in person! Absolutely magnificent stadium. I just hope none of the teams play too rough there and start "thugging" the "kids" - LOL!

I'll stand by my comments Carlton are a front running team of pea hearts that only like to snipe the kids. When they face teams that play football and can look after themselves them Carlton wilt and go missing. End of Story

No need to grow up MD as you said you didn't see the game. I did from start to finish.

Carlton lacked discipline and heart. Carlton are quite simply team of front running pretenders when they play young soft teams. Seem to me the sides that apply pressure and play football stitch up the blues.

It would be woeful being a Carlton or Richmond supporter right now.

Was shocked at the ineptitude of the Tiges last night. It was a very disappointing match for what was supposed to be the highlight of the round. Sure Essendon were probably always going to win, but Richmond were just non-competitive. Since they can play so much better than that, their poor old supporters are left to make the worst of all losing acknowledgements - yep, we choked on the big stage :( Not fun

Meanwhile in Mickworld, the Blues cannot put four quarters together, the coach gets ruder and more defensively arrogant the further they slide down the ladder and Waite - among others - surely has to go at season's end.

Well it appears the Mica ambulance arrived at the Gabba last night for Carlton. They applied the paddles to no avail. Beeeeeeeeeee flatline and no pulse. Carlton can now kiss good bye to season 2014.

How tough is the next 6 for the Suns, if they can win two or three of those they'll be doing well. The only advantage is playing half those games at home.

But that said, the following four games after that horror run are all winnable against lower sides.

I think they should really focus on winning their next three home games against tough opposition and look to beating those lower sides beyond that. Winning those will be enough to make finals.

If they bust themselves every week for the next six weeks they could come up with nothing, lose a couple of easy ones later and have spent themselves before the finals even come around.

This six week period will define their coaches and club as to whether they are a force come September.

I think they'll do well and finish 5th or 6th this year, but they need to beat at least one of the next few to get the boost of confidence to take them to that level.

LC, because it was a good game, a tough and entertaining contest at a great venue in a big atmosphere.

I hope, but I don't expect my team to win every single time they play, as long as they try their best I'm okay with it - so not inclined to start calling for people's heads or become homicidal when they lose.

I'll admit that is somewhat atypical for a Collingwood supporter :)

doosra from watching all the games so far played at the Adelaide Cricket Ground, they have been fantastic to watch the footy at. I'll bet the fans love watching the footy there much better than the old ground. If someone here has been to watch a game live there please let us know what it is like.

Now now boys, play nice. It's only a game!

Nothing to do with Caaaarlton... but even though the Magpies lost I really enjoyed the game last night. It's great to see footy at the Adelaide Oval - brilliant venue, brilliant atmosphere :)

I was 99.9% sure we were gonna end up losing when Clokey dropped that perfectly speared pass dead in front of goal just a few minutes into the first quarter.

At that point the CCC (collective Collingwood consciousness)went "oh for God's sake, not one of THOSE nights" or the psychic equivalent thereof.

No doubt the Pies were a little rattled in the unfamiliar venue, especially some of the younger guys. We couldn't really get the systems going. Anyway it was a good tough contest and the Crows played exceptionally well all across the ground. They owned the Oval. Of course from their perspective it didn't hurt that of the 50,000 present 40,900 of them were screaming, foaming Adelaide supporters. What a racket. Must have been worth about three goals.

It was also good to see "Tex" aka The Texxiah, back in action. You can't help but like the guy and the way he plays, no matter who you barrack for.

So not a bad loss for the Pies in the context of the season but leaves us out of the top four which we must remedy ASAP.

Sorry you can go back to your argument now :)

GO PIES

MD

Doos, it is even more amazing in person! Absolutely magnificent stadium. I just hope none of the teams play too rough there and start "thugging" the "kids" - LOL!

I've been studying.

For mine, the top 8 won't change.

The order wiil, composition won't.

Adelaide not good enough.
Ditto Richmond, Carlton, Essendon and West Coast.

If I am to be wrong I would pick West Coast to do it to me.

Don't think I will be though.

Can cross Richmond and Carlton off the list.

Deplorable efforts.

The field narrows.

MD

Didn't see any of the game Brainiac so can't comment on our performance but we're definitely gone now.

Relic, you really are bitter and twisted aren't you - so many years of your mob being flogged by the Blues has taken its toll. Grow up Junior.

There's a positive MD.

Young Menzel has something. Like his brother before him.
He could be a ripper. Cocky too.

Gun small fwds are hard to find.

MD

He does look very good Brainiac - if his knees hold up he will have been an absolute steal at the pick we acquired him.

Relic, the grow up comment was in regards to your continued use of pathetic, emotional based, OTT comments - "kids", "thugs", etc. You are either very young yourself or of very low intellect. As I've said before, I know the team I support is no good, but I have the emotional intelligence to be able to handle that.

I've just scratched the eagles.
Can't win at home anymore.

Essendon and Adelaide the only outside chances to sneak in.

MD

Starting to look that way Brainiac - and I think there's some pretty good stats to say that the teams in the 8 at this stage of the year tend not to change. Only possible one to drop out imo will be Gold Coast if they lose their way after the next 6 weeks or so where they have a really tough run. If they do, there'll be 4 or 5 sides fighting over their spot.

Not at all MD and I've played the game for many years at a handy level as well. For a start it's not in the sprit of the game to run around thugging kids.

If I got down a few posts it was you that said it was well and truly ok to around and rough up kids to use all things to Carlton's advantage to win?

Carlton are a pack of weak snipers. Like I said they wouldn't snipe against the good sides and sides full of grown men. Carlton are pathetic and weak. You only have to watch Carlton each week to see they are front running pea hearts that go missing when the acid is put on them

How can you enjoy a game you lose?

Anyway, back to the title.

It's shut. And the Blues are smacking Essendon in the bum on the way through.

Both average teams going nowhere.

MD what ever you call me rounds 12 & 13 are coming let's talk then about your gutless sniping s sooks with no hearts

MD

Pathetic Relic Hunter. You're obviously just a "kid" yourself - I can't think of any reason other than you've only been watching the game for 5 minutes if you really think there was any "thugs" or "sniping" in Monday's game. What a drama queen!

No it's not rocket science MD.

So what you're saying is, it's ok to thug younger kids rather than play the ball?

Carlton has only one player who goes in hard and he is also one of your better snipers, in Mitch Robinson. 90% of the other Carlton players are squibs.

Most of the Carlton lads tend to drop their heads in marking contests or slow up going in for the hard ball. To me it takes much more courage to take a mark knowing a pack is coming and will crunch crunch you hard. But you have to hold your ground. It takes courage to go in for the hard ball or to protect one of your team mate with a shepherd knowing your going to be hit hard.

But what you're saying MD it is ok to thug, wrestle and intimidate younger players knowing you have a physical advantage over then and that they can't defend themselves right?

MD

"Thug" - LOL. Please, won't somebody look after the children!

You're a sook with an vested interest no matter what you say to the contrary.

No not at all MD I didn't back the Saints.

What I am trying to get at is the way in which Carlton went about the game. All the pushing, shoving & wrestling to all the young guys. All the carry on at trying to be tough guys. MD tell me why I haven't seen Carlton do this to Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney or Fremantle at anytime over the last few years?

In fact I'm looking forward to rounds 12 & 13 to see these Carlton tough guys bottom lips start to quiver and the tears return to their eyes. Just like they did after round 3 when Essendon got hold of them. they weren't so tough then LOL. I'll bet we see some rather large brown lumps and stains on the blue boys shorts in rounds 12 & 13 just like we did in round 3 :)

MD

Not sure why I'm engaging with such snivelling, juvenile rubbish, but I would have thought the answer to your question would be obvious even to someone of obviously limited intellect such as yourself.

Why would a team try to be physical with other teams over whom they don't have a physical advantage - jesus wept, it's not rocket science. Using a physical strength advantage is no different to using a pace or height advantage. Grow up, or if you can't handle any 'rough' play, albeit what you consider to be too rough is a joke, choose a different sport.

I'm afraid I don't barrack for St Kilda MD. As I've mentioned here many times I follow Melbourne. So there's no sour grapes here from me.

Carlton just showed how p*ss weak and desperate they are to try and push, shove and bully young kids to get a win. Like I said if St Kilda had kicked straight and finished off better it would have been curtains for Carlton. I can see plenty of improvement in St Kilda as were Carlton are heading backwards very fast.

As for Saint Nick like him or hate him he is one of the fairest & best footballers of the modern era. I think the questions he asked of the umpire to be pretty fair and as the Captain I'm sure he has right to ask anything of the umpire he would like about the game?

MD

Perhaps you tipped or backed Saints then - definitely too emotional a rant not to have something invested in the game.

"Saint" (LOL) Nick is one of the most hyped players in the league and receives better 'service' from the umps than most - yet he is definitely still one of the biggest sooks!

Send a letter to Mick - tell him to check the age of their opponents before they go out and, if they are "kids", make sure they go easy on them as nannas and the like don't want to see kids "bullied". Fair dinkum, is the game not soft enough as it is - now you want teams to take it easy on younger teams.

As for the "if" Saints had kicked straight - if my aunty had nuts she'd be my uncle - "if" Carlton had kicked straight in the 1st quarter they would have been 7 or 8 up by 1/4 time.

St Nick is an enigmatic soul. He certainly does come across as a deadset sook at times, on the other hand he has given countless impressive examples of physical courage and mental toughness during his football career.

Adam Goodes seems to be a similar sort of character.

Both receive undue TLC from umpires on a weekly basis, which is beyond annoying.

And they could both rival Lloydy in the flopping stakes :)

MD Carlton are p*ss weak. It just shows how gutless they are. They don't even try to be tough men with the gun teams or sides that can look after themselves. What Carlton did was try to push around and bully young kids around. They tried it on the bigger bodied Saints and that didn't last long. If St Kilda kicked straight and could finish off last night Carlton were gone.

As for Saint Nick they couldn't catch him. He also should have gotten plenty more free kicks than what he was awarded. Like Saint Nick or not he is one of the fairest footballers going around.

Daisy Thomas and a few other blue baggers need to worry more about getting a kick than wrestling and trying to be a big man.

Carlton pathetic and will finish down the bottom for sure like the rubbish they are

MD

LOL @ Relic - sore loser much?! Didn't realise Carlton were playing "kids" and shouldn't play too rough. I know my team's rubbish, you don't seem to have grasped the concept that yours is worse.

As for your Teutonic crybaby of a captain, what a joke - just as well horsehead isn't playing in a tough era, he'd be bawling every week. Great athlete, good footballer, huge sook! He's starting to rival Matty Lloyd in the flopping stakes late in his career.

Didn't see the game but seems like the Saints blew their chance to make it a close contest with their inaccurate third quarter. Shame.

Well let the Blooz enjoy their paltry victory over a depleted opponent, because there won't be many more opportunities to celebrate this season.....

How pathetic are Carlton, trying to push around and wrestle the young St Kilda kids. You won't see these losers doing it to sides of the likes of Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney or Fremantle. In fact you won't see the snipers do it to another side unless it full of kids.

MD

So Relic, if you've got a strength advantage over your opponent you shouldn't take advantage of it? I thought the only pathetic one was Riewoldt - looked like he was going to cry (again!) every time he didn't get a free kick at every contest.

Shocking game - skill levels really are poor for most teams this year and the Blues are more frustrating to watch than they've ever been. Should have won by 10!

Had to feel for Daisy last night ( being one of the relatively few Collingwood supporters who still has a soft spot for him)

But yeah the Blues are basically cr@p. Malthouse said it in his presser - too many passengers.

The Judd thing is reminding me of Bucks' last season or so.... the body is shot and from now on it will be a case of in and out of the team and probably more out than in. It is very frustrating for all parties and not really great for morale, you need your captain on the field.

Malthouse was quite gracious in his presser which was nice to see - and unusual for His Mickness where the Magpies are concerned.

Carlton could only look like a half decent team when the Pies released the pressure in the last quarter. It was a bit galling that we cost ourselves a massive percentage boost but our inexperienced backline got pretty tired.

Still a comprehensive win and I'm happy!

GO PIES

Carlton's decision making was as bad as I've seen. Their kicking was awful. I thought their endeavour was great but their skill level was very poor. Gibbs looks like he's 65kgs.

I had North in the top 8 and maybe in the top 4 at the start of the year. I think the Kangas side could be Jekyll and Hyde. Man they have played some very average games this year. Then they can come out and play some great footy and mix it with the best like they did to Freo and Syndey. I'll keep watch the Shineboners with a lot of interest from now on. I hope Scott can get the boys to play consistent footy and finish the year off strongly.

It's clear.

Carlton are no good.
Malthouse is at his use by.

Get rid of Gibbs and free up some cash.
Waite is average.
Murphy can't hack it against the best now Judd is absent.
Garlett is a cat.

One good thing. Warnock is improving.

Gunna be a long drought.

MD

Brainiac, pretty much agree with most of that except your assessment of Murphy - I think he has been pretty good most of the year, great in our wins, tries his guts out every week but is without any help at all. Our depth in the midfield is really exposed when there's no Judd, Carrazzo, Curnow, etc.

Geelong V Hawthorn lived up to all I thought it would be. Another cracking game and the best team today came out on top. The cats talls and the pressure that Geelong put on Hawthorn coming out of defence made the difference. It was a great game and I'm looking forward to the rematch later in the year

I have no problems at all with those sentiments you Geelong lads...

Bet you both can't wait for Monday.

My oath Squid.

I feel for all true footy fans, especially those who continue to support teams such as the Dees, Dogs, Saints but when Blues tragics get closer to four decades of heartache I might feel some real sympathy.

I agree. Try 44 years including 5 losing GFs and numerous other failed finals campaigns.

Melbourne..

Backing them AGAIN this weekend against the Gold Coast, with a small Margin and Confidence

Carlton,, not against the Dogs

But will be On them Soon

Carlton are not as BAD as it seems

Still expect GWS or St Kilda as the Wooden Spooners

squid I agree Sticks spoke very well on the couch Monday night. I think Sticks and the board know exactly where Carlton is at. They just aren't ready to come out and say it on record just yet.

On a positive note I think Paul Roos has done wonders with my mob Melbourne so far. It's still a long way to go but you have to be happy with the signs so far. As far as free agent recruiting goes Ross has done an excellent job in getting Tyson, Vince and Cross. Cross has been a very good pick up on field and to teach the young kids.

MD

Squid, it's already been 19 years mate and it doesn't look like it's going to turn around too quickly :(

Some very valid thoughts everyone,I think this saga has many miles in it yet.
The matter of the good old fashioned powerbroker in Matheson could be one of the biggest factors to determine a future direction. As we all know, money talks.
I think that Sticks spoke very well on The Couch last night. He comes across as a man of his word, bleeds Navy Blue, and who is well aware of exactly where the club is at.
One thing for sure, the Bulldogs are going to be very tough to beat this weekend whether we were in form or not.

Ps - tiger - I hope it's not 20 or 30 years... That will turn me in to a very grumpy old man....

Tiger what a round of footy we have coming up this weekend. There are plenty of sides under the pump and really need to prove something.

Richmond, Carlton, Sydney, Adelaide are all under the pump and need to show something to their supporters this week.

Then We have Melbourne, Footscray, GWS & Gold Coast who need to keep playing well and keep showing improvement.

Match of the round are Hawthorn v Geelong and I'm really looking forward to this game. I hope it has it all like their past games

Then Collingwood v North Melbourne. This should also be a cracker of a game. I'm hoping for a Shinboner win in a close one.

Bring on Thursday might for game 1 of the round

Squid, Relic.....welcome the the mirror image of the RFC story since the early 80's.

And like us, I hope you have to put up with it for another 20 or 30 odd years...lol ;)

I hate football..............until Friday night rolls around again. And stupidly I'll keep doing it until I die and even more foolishly, I'll still be supporting Richmond just like you guys will be with the Blues.

I guess there are a few bad recruiting choices over the years. Why on earth would you take Dale Thomas when you need more big forwards & backs? You can blame Mick for that one.

Kreuzer has been stiff with injuries over the years. I don't think he will ever hit the heights that were expected of him. Really in my view Kreuzer is now a forward as the ruck position in the modern game has changed and left him behind.

There have been some great pick ups like Henderson. Carlton did very well out of that deal.

Well I just need to put the gloating aside for a moment to commend Squid and MD for their posts. True supporters both, staying unswervingly loyal despite having plenty of reasons to be furious with their club. Good on you guys.

Yes I hate Carlton with every fibre of my being and I love watching them lose...but I do feel for their fans. A little bit.

Because - apart from an ACL to a key position player - there is nothing more dispiriting in the football supporters universe than a false dawning of hope and that's where the Blues fans find themselves right now. The players too by the look of it.

But hang in there fellas. The wheel will turn at some point and your team will rise again. In the meantime IMO you have every right to be mightily p****d off with the current state of affairs.

Skwid....

My Stats dun today show that Carlton should have finished a lot closer

They also would have beaten, Richmond, Brisbane, GWS, Gold Coast and West Coast on yesterday's Form

It appears the Players are doing well, (not Top 8) but certainly not bottom 4

It appears ,that the problem is from the Coaches Box to the Ground

Think Malthouse and his Crew have to take the responsibility.....

It appears the Coaching message if there is one, is not getting through or being Carried Out

There's always next weekend

To start with, please forgive the length that this post may end up being.

Now I realise that there are a hell of a lot more important things than a game of AFL football, but it gives many people, myself included, an escape from the pressures and trials of everyday life.

I have been a Carlton supporter since I watched "The Winners" at 6pm every Sunday night on the ABC. I am 45 this year, so from my early years, Carlton were a highlighted club. Successful, and with some WA connections, they became my team. The club that I will follow for life.

However in the cold, hard light of day today, the proud and successful club is probably a laughing stock. No disrespect to Melbourne at all, they are at a low ebb in their history, and they fully deserved the victory yesterday.

What has happened? Carlton have not been a premiership contender for some time, but there has been some hope, we have been around the pla ce, with a squad of mainly solid players. Players that show some high levels of ability and skill.

Players cannot lose that ability and skill over an off season. They are far better than what they are showing now. So why?

Is it the coach? Most popular theory going around. Is Malthouse overrated as a coach and past it? Is the game plan not working? Is it too difficult for the players to execute? Should we have even persued him in the first place, when things didn't seem that broken when Brett Ratten was given his marching orders?

Is it the players? Is it the space between the left and right ears that is preventing them from being the players some of them should be? Are they simply missing the on field leadership of Judd? (Who in my opinion is what Nick Riewoldt is to the Saints)

Is it the recruiting staff, who have refused to obtain quality key defenders and forwards over the last 4 or 5 years? (and I know they don't grow on trees).

The entire club is under the blowtorch, from the president down. Is the club simply in denial? Acknowledgement of a problem can be the first step to fixing it.

It is going to be a long way back. All of a sudden, those (like me) who hoped this was simply a slow start, have to realise that the ultimate success is not in sight. Yes, only one out of 18 teams get to lift the Cup each year, so if you look at it like that, 17 teams have failed. But you want hope, you want something to take to next week, next year and beyond.

In the last two weeks, our proud Club has showed nothing of the sort on the field, and it hurts.

Now this little, I suppose, "Rant", may reek of somebody who has been in denial. I class myself as a true supporter. There have been lows since the last flag, but this ranks down with the Pagan coached days, post the salary cap rorting (For which we deserved what we got). But I will continue to show my support in whatever way I can. I am not a fair weather supporter, one who jumps off at the first sign of trouble, or continually belittles the club and players. I just want to see something to hang my hat on.

MD

Good post Squid. I am also 45 this year and have supported them since birth. For most of those years I have lived interstate but still supported them via paying for my membership. This week I will be writing to the club in disgust for the first time. I stuck with them through the spoon years, knowing we were taking our medicine for rorting the system but trusting that things would eventually turn around. Under Ratts that turn around seemed most likely, being a kick away from beating WCE in Perth in a semi in 2011. In '12 we were crippled by injury, some people saying that was just an excuse, but it was FACT! So, instead of letting one of our all time greats, with a pretty handy coaching record in his first 5 years at the helm, have another year to prove it was just a blip, we knifed him at the behest of a proven liar and narcissist, and someone who had been at the sworn enemy for the previous dozen or so years! If we had given Brett another year and it didn't go well, it would have been the end of his contract and we could have parted ways amicably and with no financial pain. Paul Roos would have also then been a viable option.

I can't describe how disgusted I am at our actions - I know we've been a mercenary club at times in the past but this, to me, is our most despicable act.

I'll keep you advised if I get a response and, if so, what they have to say.

Perhaps it's a viewpoint from a different era Squid but I agree, once you're in you're in for the long haul, through thick and thin.

With few exceptions I don't place much store in what "billionaire's" say about anything other than the businesses they're in but I do agree with this bloke's summation in regard to players in Carlton's case. If you're prepared to take the big bucks then you have a duty to perform (Arthur Sinodinos and numerous Con & Labor counterparts excepted of course).

From the AFL website: "Meanwhile, Carlton billionaire powerbroker Bruce Mathieson said it was time for a new direction at the club.

Mathieson - whose nephew, Craig, sits on the Carlton board - said the Blues need a new president to step in immediately and start a top-to-bottom rebuild.

Mathieson, however, was not calling for the coach's scalp.

"You can't blame Mick. You have to look at your players. How many of our players would get a game for Hawthorn? There'd be lucky to be three or four," Mathieson said on 3AW on Saturday.

"They are getting Rolls-Royce money, and they should be performing like a Rolls-Royce. I would like a lot more for my money, I tell you."

I disagree with his appraisal of Malthouse at Carlton though. I'm a very long way away from the action at the club admittedly but some of his team selections since taking over have defied belief from an outsider's perspective. He obviously has a view on the style he wants but I've seen zero evidence that he's improved Carlton one iota. Under Ratten at their best they could match it with most teams. Yes the Blues might come back as the season rolls on but when one of your stars questions list management it suggests the writing is on the wall and a cleanout of officials might be just what is required.

Carlton outplayed by the Dees! The Blues were disgraceful yesterday. Oh man this is unmissable viewing for Pies fans :)

And well done Melbourne.

Go Dees :)

You're a far better judge than me Dex. Hope I didn't put you off, although Malthouse is looking for a much bigger hole than me after dropping his likely matchwinner Waite. The players have disgraced the club twice in a week now but I have to say the coach bears at least half the responsibility for losing to the cellar dwellers. Take a walk for the sake of everyone Mick.

Dexy

Yes Swannie appears to be struggling a bit. He had glandular fever in the off season - anyone who's suffered it knows the effects can hang around for months. Occasionally years! Wrist surgery also. Definitely not at his best right now. It's only round three so hopefully he comes good, but the glandular fever thing worries me I have to admit.

Geelong

Outta Pick 4's becoz the Fields are No Longer Standing Up, Profits are Struggling against Losses.. Brisbane Carnival and it's Jackpots maybe an Exception

AFL Betting is my Latest Foray,, Kindy Steps at the moment,, Looking for the Overlays

Where the Media have dribbled and not looked at the actual Fact's

Last Weekend Hawthorn by a sizable Margin

Fyfe, Barlow out,, cut Mundy from the Midfield,, Hawthorn would Win big, Sandilands, no one to Palm to

This weekend Essendon the same, however expect a smaller Margin

Carlton,, My Stats line up that Carlton are the worst team in the Competition

Us,, the Crows, 2nd worst-test and until last weekend North Melbourne rating just above the

Melbourne $6.25 to Win looks Good,, will wait until I see the teams

I see Punting Horse Racing in a Major decline in this Country and like all Good Business Men, I must Spread my Investments

Doosra....

How's Dane Swan performing

Since moving to WA,, Yoose caught up with the Malthouse and West Coast Legend

In fairness he did build Collingwood to a Premiership,, I under-estimated his abilities

Expect to see Kris Krudd as an assistant shortly.. or surely his Missus (Ms Twiggly)

Plastic Surgery for ALL

I hope your comment was in jest Dex. If not I'll accommodate you with a little thrown in for good measure.

Carlton. Their list doesn't cut the mustard. They have recruited poorly. Their game plan is past it. Their coach only took the job to stick it up Eddie and because he thought the list was better than it actually turned out to be. In typical Blues fashion the board thought they could buy a quick premiership and now that possibility looks light years away. LOL

I'm loving every second of it :)

Mick won't stick around for the rebuild IMO

Can Melbourne beat Carlton this Weekend

6/1 the Easy way through looks a Good Bet

The Carlton window has been slammed shut. It's time for a total rebuild of the list. The question is will they keep Mick to coach and start the rebuild? I think Carlton will keep Mick in the coaches box for the rebuild.

Gibbs apparently doesn't seem to think so. He's reportedly asked to see their list plans before re-signing. Anyone have room in their caps to accommodate him?

MD

Funny how now Mick has taken us backwards it is the list isn't good enough, whereas when Ratten had 1 poor season, with horrific injuries, it was all his fault. The year prior we were a kick away from a Prem final.

Fwiw, our list has never been good enough to be serious challengers BUT, as I said at the time, the hiring of Malthouse after he basically held us to ransom, and the manner in which a bloke who basically bleeds navy blue was shafted, was disgraceful.

I just don't get this esteem in which Malthouse is held. Apart from the fact the bloke's an absolute lying DH, he inherited pretty muich a State side in West Coast, and since their '94 premiership, he has won one flag in 19 years.

Agree with pretty much all of that MD. It was indeed disgraceful the way Ratts was treated and Carlton were playing better footy under him than they are now. Mick's appointment had bad karma written all over it from several perspectives. Reap as ye sow and all that, but it's a bitter pill to swallow for Blues fans.

No doubt Christie is drafting another chapter of the book as we speak which explains how this is all Collingwood's fault :)

Another year or two when the Bulldogs can put a full game together they be very hard to beat. It was great to see the pressure they put on the Dockers to cause turnovers. The doggies will improve this year like you predicted Lister.

Carlton still lack a gun forward to challenge.

Looks as though the Bombers have forward line issues as well.

Masten and Kennedy for Chris Judd?
A trade that now fits neatly into the "it seemed a good idea at the time."

MD

Grey - Masten is only ordinary and we had a Coleman medallist at the club at the time, something, despite all the hype, Kennedy is yet to achieve. Of course Fev was soon to leave the club but nobody knew that at the time. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have kept Josh, but no matter what happens, the trade was the right thing for the club, including financially.

Me thinks you are still quite bitter about CJ leaving?!

West Coast have been average since Judd left.
Carlton have been average since Judd arrived.

No amount of sugar coating can look at it any other way.

Carlton need to hope Judd leaves a great legacy for the young players to learn from.

West Coast need Masten and Kennedy to become key elements of a top 4 side to see the benefits of replacing Judd with them.

I think the only clear winners out of the deal have been Judd, his Mrs and his manager.

Judd has gone down with injury again. I'll be very interested to see how Carlton go about their practise matches. I hope Docherty gets game time as I was a fan of his at Brisbane.

They very well could be making a song like this about Mick if Carlton don't finish in the 8 or higher this year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edZaDfmHfB4

I thought that North Melbourne might be a sleeping giant for this season but no, they're not sleeping with the bookies, around $12. They tick a lot of boxes now and suprisingly are now the 4th oldest list so the window is well & truly open. Essendon is another to be right in the thick of it this season.

Re the Swannies, if they get just average production from both Tippet & Buddy they will go a long way. Not many teams have 2 talls up forward that classy, having said that, when was the last time anyone saw Buddy take a mark above his head??

"if he was famous, he might have a point, but no, he continues to kick holes in the language on this porthole and in his own private word."

Just like you pertaining to be literary superior, yet failing to start a sentence with a big eye?

You're the reason why people make simpleton jokes about banana peels and kicking sand in your own face.

Bit strange what the Swan's have done in the last two years. They have had such success transforming unwanted players from other clubs into stars, it's strange to see them target superstars like this (though I think the Buddy one had at least something to do with their cross-town rivals).

A premiership team from the previous season has shipped in two high profile and moreover highly paid players. It'll be interesting to see how it all gels.

Regarding the Swans culture I think the only change is that their chairman is starting to apply his business acumen more often and more overtly. The guy is a fair dinkum money making genius, has been for forty years.
The big test will come when he steps down next month.

I'm thinking with the SCG being a smaller ground Buddy will play as the CHF. He will be allowed to run all over the ground at his will. When the Swans play on the bigger ground you'll see buddy play more as he did this year. Staying closer to the true CHF wing area. I think the big winner out of Buddy going to Sydney will be young Reid. He will now get the 3rd or 4th best defender. This should free the kid up to keep learning and growing as a player.

Tippett will play out of the goal square and don't be surprised if he wins the Coleman medal.

Goodes is on his last legs and this year or next as his last in view. Injuries are starting to catch up with him. I hope he goes out on his terms and on top. I'd hate to see a great player like Goodes just fade away because he can't get his body right to play

I'm also with you Lister on the Sydney culture as I to feel something is starting to change up there and not for the best

I agree Greyshot. I've said for years that Mick Malthouse had under achieved at West Coast with the side he had. He also did the same at Collingwood.

What about everyone's thoughts on Sydney.
Is Buddy a good fit? Will it work out or help cook them financially?
Will Tippett fire for a whole season?
Is Bolton a huge loss?
Can Goodes keep going or is he not far off the end?

I reckon Hawthorn will cover Buddy more easily than the Swans will cope trying to fit him in. There's just something about the way Sydney are dealing at the moment that doesn't sit well. I love Johnny Longmire and have always admired the Swans as a club but that appears to be on the wane.

I don't want to see a star like Buddy stuff up but he's going to have to work bloody hard and produce the goods to justify everything that has gone on.

Malthouse is over rated. He inherited a state team when he went to the Eagles and he squeezed out 2 premierships. During his final 5 years he ran down the list through poor injury management and left suddenly leaving behind a much weaker list than the one he inherited.
He then squeezed out one premiership at Collingwood during a 10 year stint despite all the fixturing advantages Eddie managed to arrange. It took him all that time to build a premiership list. He may not live long enough to build a premiership list at Carlton.

Is LostaClue still with Malthouse?

He was pretty keen on him last season, even started a thread to tell us how great he was.

Ninth position wasn't all that flash last season, so the love affair could be over.

Yes it is going to be a cracker of a season Lister. I think you are on the money with Bulldogs to keep improving this year. They have some very good kids now and they traded to get the type of established players they needed. The doggie have also added plenty of good people to their coaching staff. They all come from clubs that have an outstanding culture.

I also think Adelaide might not regain their spot in the 8 again.

Walker needs to fully recover or their forward set up is no good and with the captain going down their leadership ranks need help. Dangerfield must have a blinder of a season for them to maintain their position and improve.

MD

I reckon the Crows have recruited pretty well Lister, they'll be in the mix for those spots we're talking about. Agree that the Eagles should be the real big improvers.

Absolutely agree Lister, depth of squad is vital. It's all well and good if your best 22 are top shelf, but if 23-30 on the list aren't up to it, the task is very difficult.

Carlton need some to step up to the plate, and soon.

Grow up LC, there was no need for your initial post, there was no fight on this thread until you started one.

Let the adults talk footy, you go back and browse through Tolstoy's Crime and Punishment. LOL

Just got the quaddie.

'Let the adults talk footy, you go back and browse through Tolstoy's Crime and Punishment'.

ROFL!!! GOLD

Oustanding, saintly.

Nige ;-)

Lister, my head says this is the year when we simply have to improve. Mick has got the cattle he wants there now. He has worked them out. Juddy will not be around forever, we don't rely on his playing ability as much any more, but his leadership is exceptional. There will be a very large expectation around the club that they must make Top 4. Mick will not hang around too long if we fail again. Then we will continue with average results for some time.

My heart says that if EVERYTHING goes right, we are definitely capable of Top 4, and to challenge for a flag you have to be there. As we know though, the perfect season is hard to come by. Injuries to key players are the biggest season killer. We, along with a few other clubs, have been hit in recent years by these.

So all in all, we will be a finalist, whereabouts I'm not sure.

The first 5 games will be interesting for Carlton. They have Port Adelaide (ES) Richmond (MCG) Essendon (MCG) Melbourne (MCG) Footscray (ES) At the end of these 5 games Carlton may or may not be in the top 8. I'm still out on the blues but I'd say they will go about the same as last year either missing out on the 8 or just falling in. I think that there are better teams out there at this stage that can finish above Carlton and in the 8.

That's a fair assessment relic.

I tend to agree. If they can start 5 zip then they are obviously in a great position. That would help push the window further "ajar". I have my doubts though and believe they firstly, think they are better than they are and secondly, have invested too much faith in Malthouse.

I really think the Bullies could be big improvers this year. They are well coached, are becoming well disciplined and have some good young players who came on in leaps and bounds late last year.

The eagles are the others that could improve dramatically. They still have the core of a very good side and with the well regarded Adam Simpson at the helm a fresh approach could be just what they need.

That's all fair enough squid.

I said previously if everything goes right they are a capable team. Unlike a Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn, Freo they don't have the cattle to cover an injury crisis.

It's what makes or breaks some teams finals aspirations. They are in a block of about 10 teams vying for 3 or 4 spots.

Gonna be a most interesting season.

No. It's sealed shut. They cannot win a premiership with that list.

Duigan has retired due to a knee problem, I'm reliably informed by a Carlton friend.

For crying out loud LC, try bringing something positive to the forum for once.

Of course a window can be ajar, look it up if you need to (you obviously do). You pretend to be some kind of superior intellect, but as the years pass, it is obvious you are nowhere near as smart as you think you are.

As for Carlton, well they had a few admirable losses last year, but I do not think they will have improved enough to be in the top 4 at seasons end. They need a few of their big men to have great seasons to be competitive with the top sides.

I'm every bit as smart as I think I am; how smart that is, is something you will have to continue to guess about, behind the white noise you create at such times.

Usage is the key. That is what feeds the dictionary.

These days it's speeded up monumentally. When a media sport's caster makes a mistake, it goes out to the mor0n majority ~ in the case of AFL, millions, and suddenly 'begging the question' no longer means what it does. It now means begging to ask a question. Your dictionary hasn't caught up with that one yet.

This stuff has been going on for centuries, you silly, twisted boy: The 'n' in 'nickname' traveled over from an "an" so that 'ekename' was erased forever.

Lister is the first person I know who has veered away from doors being ajar. if he was famous, he might have a point, but no, he continues to kick holes in the language on this porthole and in his own private word.

He's a ripper isn't he. He can get stuff right as long as it isn't too harduous.

As is usual with you Saintly, you've just taken your seat, it's halfway through the fifteenth round, and you claim to know all about the fight.

'As is usual with you Saintly, you've just taken your seat, it's halfway through the fifteenth round, and you claim to know all about the fight'.

Fifteenth round?
LOL...You wish, you knocked yourself out in the first round, Bozo.
Go buy a dictionary and educate yourself a little.

LOL @ LostaClue - it just keeps getting sadder.

He knows that a window can be ajar, anything that is capable of opening can be ajar. But as per usual, he won't admit he made a mistake, instead, he keeps trying to prove a point that doesn't exist, making himself look more ridiculous with every attempt.

Pity the poor kids who walk into a classroom in a couple weeks time and find this fool standing before them.

"When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him."

- Jonathan Swift

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to The World According to lostclarity.

He's got a new thread going with Khaptingly. Can I suggest everybody leave it to lc and Khaptingly to wow it up and enjoy each others company while we discuss topics of interest on a range of matters without blowflies like them interjecting.

'He's got a new thread going with Khaptingly'.

They must be sharing a sewer together.

Windows are ajar now? Maybe they have a door of opportunity. Perhaps I could unblock you and correct the text. Still the same fool you always were.

"Perhaps I could unblock you and correct the text."

Can someone also let this imbecile know that he doesn't need to unblock me to correct the text. He can post here and I can read him.

Duigan was delisted Percy.

MD

No. I have us in 6th - 8th spot.

Ajar - neither entirely open nor entirely shut; partly open.

The great pompous one lost clarity has obviously never opened a window.

And this drop kick is a teacher.

Where has Nick Duigan gone? He is still on the list isn't he?

Sounds Good to Me

Wack ya Top 4 Teams Up

Hawthorn
Freo
Collingwood
Sydney

Now ...... Try and get the rest in the Next 4 Positions

Carlton 5th to 17th along with a lot of other teams

Can't see Daisy making a Major Significance

It's one of those Years when......

Wheeeeeee! alls will have to Wait and See

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts