Miracle Mile

Balciano
Not everyone's a fan I know but with the big racing over, thought it worth mentioning.

Really good field this season, with tremendous depth. To put it into i perspective, last seasons winner Baby Bling started at $40 in the last of the qualifying races Sat night. The winner of that race, Smoken Up broke 1 minute 50 for the mile to earn yet another start in the race as an 11 year old.

Barrier draw below.

Smoken Up
For A Reason
Mach Beauty
Abettorpunt (E1)
Beautide
Christen Me
Terror To Love
Im Victorious
Bitobliss (E2)
Restrepo

You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

I had the exacta and trifecta 3000 times. I'm a legend.

'Actually from the Miracle mile I liked both I'm Victorious and For a reason, of course I went with the one that was paying more, hence leaving out the winner...I wish you could bet on frustration, I'd be a millionaire.'

You were talking about the result of the Victoria Cup.
You mentioned two names - I'm Victorious and For A Reason.
You said you backed I'm Victorious because it was a better price than For A Reason.
Sounds to me like you're talking about your top two selections.

In your assessment of both the Miracle Mile and the Victoria Cup you mentioned the names of just about every runner EXCEPT For A Reason.

So tell us what you meant to say, Quez, and tell us why you even mentioned For A Reason's name today.

Seems Chivas has lost his marbles again, where did I say second pick in the Victoria Cup chivas...?

Liking the runs of two horses in the MM but only backing one of them does not automatically assume the other horse is my scond pick, I'd be interested to hear your reasoning for this interpretation...I'm sure it's very interesting..hmmm no it wouldn't be..

what is interesting though is your persistance to only ever deliver dribble hitch hiked to endless negativity..

Actually from the Miracle mile I liked both I'm Victorious and For a reason, of course I went with the one that was paying more, hence leaving out the winner...I wish you could bet on frustration, I'd be a millionaire.

He probably posted a complete set of different tips on another forum Count. I'm sure quez can provide a link to it if you are polite.

Everyone was on For A Reason after the race

Correct Whips, Quez didn't have For A Reason in his top 4 selections before the race but tells us after the race that it was his second pick.

Impossible to take him seriously.

Christen Me

Geez we're blitzing this harness racing tipping aren't we...

I stuck with For A Reason could not get off after top Miracle Mile run.
I did not even telll clients as harness not included.

I'm Victorious is a very, very good horse Quez, I think he will be (in time) a very worthy successor to Quinny.

Race 8 SEW-EURODRIVE VICTORIA CUP (GROUP 1) 9:27 PM Print this race
M0 Or Better. * The winner of the following races in 2013 will be exempt from ballot for this race - New Zealand Free For All, Miracle Mile, Popular Alm Free For All and Cranbourne Pacing Cup. * This race is a leg of the Pacers Grand Circuit. * Acceptance Fee - $2, 000. * Stakemoney of $3, 375 per horse to be paid to the 6th to 12th placegetters respectively. RBD. Prizemoney: $400,000
2240 METRES 2ND LEG DAILY DOUBLE, 4TH LEG QUADDIE, 6TH LEG BIG6 MOBILE START
Form Horse Trainer Other Eng. Driver Class Hcp
1-11093 BITOBLISS S C Stewart Scott Stewart C17 M10 FR1
2-71201 WARTIME SWEETHEART NZ D Aiken David Aiken C13 M5 FR2
3-35384 CARIBBEAN BLASTER A P Gath Kate Gath C19 M11 FR3
4-12116 RESTREPO E J Stewart Gavin Lang C11 M4 FR4
5-42415 SMOKEN UP NZ L J Justice Lance Justice C62 M55 FR5
6-11214 IM VICTORIOUS NZ M G Brennan Justin Prentice C17 M9 FR6
7 s2511 THE GOLD ACE NZ Add to Blackbook B J McCarthy Andy McCarthy C15 M8 FR7
---------- Second Row ----------
8-67938 MAH SISH NZ T G Butt Anthony Butt C12 M4 SR1
9-21123 FOR A REASON B J McCarthy Luke McCarthy C16 M5 SR2
10-8s642 TERRORWAY NZ J P McCarthy John McCarthy C17 M10 SR3
11-11111 BEAUTIDE J R Rattray James Rattray C30 M6 SR4
12-13232 ABETTORPUNT (Em 1) D M Lewis Melton Matthew Craven C15 M6 SR-
13-19372 CHRISTEN ME NZ C T Dalgety Dexter Dunn C16 M9 SR5

like Mah sish as a ruffy here, anything you like Balciano..??

I will have another crack. Last time was poor but got a form idea i want to try.

Bitobliss at $7.50 and Carribean Blaster at $11.00 are overs for mine Quez.

A lot depends on the start, again Smoken Up will go forward from Gate 5 and does Bitobliss hand up to him/Carribean Blaster? He has the speed to lead but think his best bet is to take the sit and use the Sprint lane. If he gets the run behind the leader and he's at his best he's the one for me.

Injury prone horse though, starts each season off in a blaze of glory and then by the time the majors come around he's over the top. He's been kept fresh for this and I think at $7.50 he's the value.

Prepared to risk Beautide from the back draw, he got a dream run in the MM, he's drawn out the back here and the step up in distance from the mile to 2240 won't be in his favour in my opinion.

WS thinkg we all struggled with the MM mate here's hoping for better luck this week.

Think I'll back both I'm Victorious and Mah Sish ew here this week, and I'll throw a few others in a trifecta and see how we go..

I liked I'm Victorious last start in the MM, showed some ticker and the step up in distance at this stage might suit, Mah Sish did not get any room locked away on the pegs last start.

Loved Christen me in the MM, but seemed weak at line, using this, surely the extra trip here and off the back row makes it ahrd for him to figure.

Nothing wrong with Beautide's win in the MM, he was strong on the line and is tough as boots, he will need to be from the draw this week, and winning form at the highest level is good enough usually, he might be the key runner to throw around as a banker in exotics..

my top 4

I'm Victorious
Mah Sish
Beautide
Restrepo

Gareth Hall tips the trifecta, Christen Me was driven to perfection, just lacked that little bit of elite edge to go to the wire and win, they ran 1:50:02, Smoken up...Lance Justice said as soon as the horse got onto the track he knew there was something not right...fair dinkum as a punter you'd like to have access to this info eh.

The race it's self has lost is charisma, there is no pizzazz or lights or excitement anymore, it is worse for moving a million miles out to the bush imo.

I'm taking a trifecta..

Smoken Up
Christen me
I'm Victorious
Restrepo

Gareth Hall tips~
beautide
For a reason
christen me
smoken up

Greg Hayes tips~
For a reason
smoken Up
restrepro
I'm Victorious

I'll take the ruffie......I'm Victorious

For A Reason

For what reason would anyone think this had a hope? Awful draw, awful drive, awful tip.

THE PUNTING KING
Man U Fan 7(dec)/413
Khaptingly all out 66

I thought he was a standout Man U...I got that wrong.

First surprise to me at least was Smoken Up holding Mach Beauty out so easily. Themightyquinn crossed Smoken Up in a MM a couple of seasons back from a similar gate and he wasn't overly noted for his gate speed like Mach Beauty is.

Second surprise, and the winning move was Rattray going to the pegs from Gate 4 on Beautide instead of sitting in the running line. Never went around a horse from that point forward. Great drive great win for Tassie.
Christen Me was terrific, For a Reason had his chance and battled on into 3rd.

Anyhow good to see some interest in the race even if it wasn't the ideal result.

Best drive got the chocolates.

Thought me ruffie was going to figure for a split second and pinch a place, couldn't match it with the winner and didn't quite maintain the gap either.

To be fair I think the media gave harness racing a hell of a good run and it was the industry that failed to sustain it's public profile and not that the media turned its back on it.

Harness racing had a very privledged place in terms of sports coverage - they had plenty of press and in Melbourne at least prime time Saturday night FTA TV coverage. As a regular at both the Showgrounds and the Valley I can tell you attendances were very healthy.

But the public perceptions of 'the trots' definitely soured around 20 years ago, around the time of Vin Knight's death. It was 'on the nose' and seen to be a crooked game and never really recovered a better reputation.

I don't remember the meeting or even the horse let alone the year but I do recall the emotion of my last bet on the harness. (about 10 years ago) It could be summed up as "Never again" as the race I had just witnessed, and lost my money on was so crudely staged that it was an insult to my intelligence.

It is a very clear lesson to racing - when you have the hearts and minds of the people, don't abuse them, because if you lose them you will never get them back....

...and if you have FTA prime time TV coverage move heaven and earth to keep it.

The media cannot cover blood sports like it used to, the world is way too politically correct these days, even when they do cover the cup etc they intentionally cover and conceal the actual racing with fashion, celebrities, booze, or adverts for labels etc..

Didn't even see a mention for Varema and her demise in the press..it's only going to get worse too.

MD

"Didn't even see a mention for Varema and her demise in the press..it's only going to get worse too"

No, it probably didn't get a mention in the comics section Onslow, but it certainly did in the press I read.

Back in the 70's and 80's harness-racing champions were just as popular with the general punting public as turf champions.

Pacers like Paleface Adios and Pure Steel were followed with as much enthusiasm as gallopers like Dulcify and Kingston Town.

Today, harness-racing champions have virtually no profile outside their own code and that code has nowhere near the following it once had.

I haven't seen a Miracle Mile or Interdominion final for many years, not because I don't want to watch them but because the media give these events no coverage whatsoever, so, I never know when they're on.

If it weren't for this thread, I would not have known that the Miracle Mile is on this Saturday.

That's right Count. Shame the mainstream media doesn't get behind the sport.

For a Reason will do for me

Lots of group races to bet on if you are a fan.

I went to inter dominion a few yrs back and had a good time. Havent bet since. Keen for a bet with gallops winding down.

Might and Power, Makybe Diva, So You Think, Black Caviar...

Black's A Fake, Shakamaker, Smoken Up...

Say what you like about harness racing, but their champs seem to get much better names.

C'mon Kidlat.

What about Better Loosen Up?

Moonee Valley on Saturday nights was always fun and I remember fondly the great horses like Gammalite, my Lightning Blue and Co and the characters like Vinny Knight.

Even old favourites like Dooga Delerga that seemed as though they were going around every week.

Shakamaker continued the enjoyment into a new era but I have lost a bit of interest of recent times.

Races like the Miracle Mile and the Hunter Cup always captured my interest.

This is the thread I am reading at the moment, a bit like a book, and responding to. When it drops off, I will like drop onto another post, if the title appeals to me. The title must appeal to open it up.

There is nothing like the spectacle of elite harness races under lights.

I can't help but comment on more foolish khrap from WS.

"I went to inter dominion a few yrs back and had a good time" - most kids do when there is face painting and jumping castles.

"Havent bet since" - understandable, how can you, when got no money.

"Keen for a bet with gallops winding down" - where are they winding down. The Perth carnival is in full swing, Doomben has some of the bigger fields seen in Qld this year and there will be a record number of TAB races on Victorian track for the 3 days combined of Fri, Sat, Sun coming up.

I do a similar thing WS, through the Summer months when the gallops are quiet the harness Racing Grand Circuit is in full swing, and there are feature races most Fri/Sat nights.

It makes for an interesting alternative between the Spring/Autumn carnvials and the racing is top class, so it helps keep an interest. And the good thing about the sport is you have horses like Smoken Up, Washakie etc that rock up year after year, state after state and the idea of rushing a horse off to stud after 8-10 starts like in the Thoroughbred world is unheard of.

Richard Cranium

How can they beat that?

I've already said who I like, Christen Me and I'm Victorious are my bets, poor old st00pid Relic once again trolls the threads looking for a fight but failed to read to the posts where I had already put my tips up.

This thread was going along fine until Relic and Lister chimed in, this place is a joke lately, open every thread and it's the same tired bickering and childish antics from the same half dozen people.

where are your tips Relic..?

I must admit I struggle with tipping at Menangle, funnily enough because it is such a large spacious track, which in theory should make it easier.

At venues like Gloucester Park, or Globe Derby and Melton (which have sprint lanes as do most tracks outside NSW and metro Perth)its fairly easy to do a speed map based on who's drawn the front row or back row, who begins quickly, who likes to take a sit etc and then back your judgement accordingly, knowing those horses behind the leader/3 back the fence are usually going to get a crack at them via the Sprint Lane.

At Menangle, which at 1400 metres is far larger any other track in Aust track, they tend to sit quietly with few mid race moves due to the length of the run home, and then all peel at the top of the straight. Plus, with all horses starting off the front line it makes it that much more difficult to predict where they'll settle in the run. And with no Sprint Lane, you can still get caught behind the leader, despite it being such a spacious track.

For what its worth I think Mach Beauty will probably cross Smoken Up, then Lance will try to get the old boy off the fence and retake the lead, with Mach Beauty happy to take the sit. That will leave For a Reason 3 back the fence, which, given they'll be running lightning quick sectionals with Smoken Up in front, is probably not a bad place to be.

It all depends on whether Smoken Up can get off the fence after being crossed before Beautide comes looking for the lead. Either way, the pace should be a cracker and that should suit a horse like For a Reason getting a cosy rails sit.

If the 1st emergency Abettorpunt happened to get a start I think he's a great chance of running into the minor money, his last 2 runs in defeat have been phenomenal.

Good luck all.

For a Reasonm S,oken Up,

Your a deadest struggler quez.

Go back through this thread and take a look.

Everything was fine alright until YOU came in with a smart a... comment directed at someone trying to contribute legitimately. YOU were the first to do so, not me.

YOU can't see past your own nose. I was sticking up for the person you bagged and imploring you to stop the rubbish and do the right thing.

Clearly you can't. It's everyone else's fault.

For the record, I'm going for Smoken Up for old time sake.

He won't show up with any tips WS

When is it on..?
What is the best site for form..?
here are the winners..?

yeah...errr ok.

Once again quez, somebody puts up a legitimate post. Their thoughts on an event. You get on with another pot stir, blatant attention seeking pest of a reply.

He might be taking a stab?

He may have used the internet and found some info?

I might get on here every time you do this just to remind the forum that the sod who keeps crying poor about his treatment is actually the biggest exponent of such behavior.

Pull your head in for once and get fairdinkum. You might be surprised by the way you get treated if you stick to the subject matter and converse with people properly instead of being the forum doormat.

Quez,

Let's see you tips champ!

I don't follow the sport much at all but had a go at tipping.

I've bet on the sport in the past but not a regular following of the sport.

Are you some kind of weekly harness guru are you?

Then put up or shut up.

C'mon I dare you. Let's see if your tips beat mine.

Should be easy cause you follow the sport a lot and I don't.

Or are you all talk and no substance?

Todman I reckon I'm Victorious is the best place bet all year.

I tend to think like you that Smoken up might not have the quicks thesedays to take a posse and will get carted back early, I like Christen me to swoop and I'm Victorious to poke through late for a place.

Here are the winners:

r2 Two Eye See
r4 Elusive Chick
r5 Majestic Mach
r6 Forever Gold
r7 Washakie
r8 Smoken Up/Terror to love
r9 Bling it on

How many metres is one length of a harness?

Geez Blacks a Fake was special.

He reminded me of Northerly.

Fortunately for Blackie in harness racing they don't get weighted out of races.

Blackie could do it from both ends run 3 wide rounding the field and still win. He used to make runs mid race and still give plenty in the run to the post and win.

His all-time 4 Inters were all won differently and by a whisker he missed out on 5. After Blackie doing a power of work and dropping off Auckland Reactor who took the field with him, a lucky break came at the right time on the inside for Mr Feelgood to down him by a neck with Blackie clawing back on the line.

If I remember right a yank used to come see him run in the Inters like that woman came to see BC race. That's recognition, a legend of the game.

Gloucester park is firing for sure, it has grown into one of best tracks and meetings in OZ the last 5 years.

It's that small compact cauldron of excitement that makes it, I think you need to have your blood sports right in the city if you want to continue to survive in opposition to other sports. Who wants to drive to the trots FFS..?

Harness racing is definitely poorer for moving and losing it's two biggest tracks Harold park and Mooney valley...who over thought the code would be bigger and better by going to Menangle and Melton needs their head read.

Typical of the changes in sport that are unnecessary and end up starting the road to ruin.

I think that Menangle is a super track that gives the best pacers their chances to win despite barrier draw etc.

The quality of the pacer and trotter has been raised considerably since the 70's & 80's because of the access to world quality sires due to AI.

The move to Melton is also proving a good one.

The reason that harness racing is less visible to thorough bred enthusiasts, is more to do with the wall to wall saturation available. Friday and Saturday nights used to be dominated by harness racing.

Harness racing has also suffered integrity wise especially in NSW.

Going forward, Menangle may be a bit of a journey for many in Sydney but the racing there is on the up and up and I think it will be dominant over other the other states main venues.

Balciano should be able to offer far more expertise to my argument.

As the sport of kings continues to become more expensive for owners, harness racing will become more attractive for them.

Re the Miracle Mile, it has only been run there 4 times and the winners were drawn inside 5 as were most of the placegetters, but I am yet to be convinced that this stat will continue its dominance.

This years event has some fast pacers with Mach Beauty likely to be too quick for the old champ Smoken Up off the gate, but Smoken Up will not be easy to head nor is he likely to take a trail if headed. He will try to pressure any leader into handing up the lead. The quality of horses who will be back in the pack should see an exciting finish off a fast pace and a probable new Australian record mile rate in the low 1.48 area. Smoken Up holds the record at 1.48.5

For A Reason is likely to get the best cart behind the leaders, but there is quality further back. Christen Me and Terror To Love on their best NZ form will be big shows. If For A Reason is to get run down though, watchout for I'm Victorious who really has no right to figure from the outside barrier, but with Smoken Up, Mach Beauty and Beautide all wanting the lead, IV will be powering home.

Who can forget the night in May 1980 when Australia stopped to watch the pacing match-race of the century between Pure Steel and the unbeaten West Australian champion Satinover.

The race was run in Perth and such was the interest it was telecast 'live' around the country, I remember it well.

Satinover was going for 20 straight wins that night and had already beaten Pure Steel at their only other meeting.

For those who haven't seen it and those who'd like to re-live it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1DFs9LtcyI

Whats the best website for form?

harness.org.au is a great site WS, all fields for the weekend up from Tuesday evening, detailed form guide, free videos of every horses lead up runs, sectionals, career records etc all for free.

Its one thing the sport does really well, provide punters with all the information necessary.

As long as you stick to the main metropolitan meetings and better class races the red hots tag is a bit misleading...if you're having a bet at the Dubbo Trots on a Thursday afternoon then you deserve to do your money.

Quez trotting in SA died when they moved away from Wayville, the racing may be a better spectacle/punting proposition on the bigger tracks but Gloucester Park in Perth is proof that a small track in the heart of a city can still be a huge success.

"As long as you stick to the main metropolitan meetings and better class races the red hots tag is a bit misleading"

I think the higher class events in any sport are much more likely to be above board. More $$ in prizemoney, more prestige and more eyes watching.

Most of the dodgy stuff would be on midweek nothing races with 50 people watching and low class animals that are hard to line up at the best of times.

Thanks for the link. Top site.

Good luck with your bets.

Whatever happened to harness racing ?

Races like the Miracle Mile and the Hunter Cup used to stop us in our tracks. Now we don't even know when they are on.

There was a time when I used to attend more harness meetings than gallop meetings. Now I don't even know where the track is.

Same here, Tonto.
I lived for harness racing in the 70s & 80s.
Paleface Adios, Hondo Grattan, Pure Steel Gammalite, Popular Alm, Koala King, Village kid etc - Loved them all.

Couldn't name any pacer currently racing.

When is it on?

What did you think of Smoken Ups win the other night balciano..?

I couldn't believe the price..$8 ish..unreal price.

Of the lead ups I like Christen me..

I honestly didnt give him a hope Quez, thought he was well past it. Obviously love the big track at Menangle. Will be interesting to see if he can lead from the Pole this week, or if he'll get crossed by Mach Beauty/Beautide.

If he leads he's a big chance, For a Reason will probably sit on his back and thats who I'll be on.

Its on Sat night WS.

Folks here I am. The first post I have read in a year, so I will reply. There was no other current post title that interested me but being the pacing I gave this a chance. Something different I thought, given most forumites know nothing about racing.

But I see some things don't change. WS still being a fool asks when is the Miracle Mile. Wouldn't anyone with some intelligence look it up, rather than enquire on a forum. To make my comeback worthwhile I will give a tip.

For A Reason.

I will read another post before Christmas.

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts