Are these jockeys licenced at all.

pigracer
What happened to the two clowns who burnt their mounts out in the Galaxy.Gave them absolutely no chance and they faded to tenth and eleventh.If you think it's my pocket talking your right.I needed one of them to finish fourth for 8% of the F4.It paid 103K in Qld with Sessions running fourth but I would like to have a reasonable chance of a result.

Further to the point,certain trainers with multiple runners in an event seem to have an uncanny knack of using tearaway tactics and then land the event with their underrater.
I see this topic of how many horses a trainer can have raised on racing retro this morning,but unfortunately didn't catch the whole show. How do others feel about these topics. Regards The Pig.
You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

Spot on Geelong.

cheers,loges.

We only had to wait one week for an example of what I was talking about.The Hawkes team summed it up pre race"if you miss the start don't panic".Jockey follows instructions,rides for luck and collects big time.That reminded me of the grey horse winning the Stradbroke last year. Save your powder for one last shot. I must admit the rider Knew he was on a superior wet tracker so the rails held no fear for him.
The Pig.

Your comments about wet tracks, rails, jockeys, and distances saved or lost are as simplistic as they are inaccurate Weight Special. There are many, many occasions when the majority of jockeys get it right by staying wide or avoiding the rails. Sometimes they get it wrong by following the pack, and other times they get it even more wrong by ignoring the pattern. Memorial first up a few weeks back is just one of numerous examples of the latter. She was brought up the inside which essentially slowed her momentum when most jocks were bringing their mounts down the centre. If McEvoy brings her wide she wins. He took the odds to it and it didn't pay off, unike McDonald on Sat and the Pumper on a few occasions that I can rememeber. Works both ways.

Jockeys shouldn't be, and aren't, immune to criticism and I'm not defending them in general but one thing we have to remember is that they don't have the luxury of sitting back and watching/assessing every race like we do. That's why it's important that owners and trainers provide some input prior to the jock being legged up.

Sometimes the "tactics" simply defy belief and you have to wonder where they've ALL been during lead-up races. And that, as most forumites know well, is racing.

Pig,

Are you suggesting the rail was wet but the outside was dry?

Would have been little difference across the track and it's never worth an extra 10m which some of these horses cover going wide pre turn then wider on the turn then shifting out again in the straight to get clear running. Dumb tactics.

Penetrometer readings from inside to outside would only vary a little bit. The difference might be worth 2m tops.

Last week:

"What I find extraordinary is that jockeys seemed to take about 8 races yesterday to figure out there was nothing wrong with the inside part of the track. The same happened last year, and no doubt will again."

They did it again! Unbelievable.

I doubt that the winner would have won if she had of jumped with them. Maybe she would have but I doubt it. I think if she had of run alongside Earthquake she would have been beaten. McDonald would never have seen the rail or wanted it. But because she duffed the start, and because McDonald had little choice other than to go the rail and save ground, and was smart enough to do so her connections are $2 million richer. McEvoy rode the right race on the favourite and it would have been a winning ride but for the one horse that blew the start.

That, as they say is racing, and a never a truer word was spoken for what the Golden Slipper proves, and what every other race run proves is that in determining the outcome of races Merit is in a photo finish for place money with Fortune, Opportunity and Circumstance.

Yes dopey jocks take 8 races to work out saving 5 to 10m is the quickest way home.

What r trainers doing about it?

Its up to them to give proper instructions and sack any duds.

Thank you all for your contributions.
I did make it perfectly clear that I would have had a large collect had I snagged fourth place.I had four horses to run fourth after the others had placed but two had little chance.I also had Joe Prides other runner and the sixth place but no pay.Unfortunately had I put one more on the ticket I would have got it.

And NO! I haven't ridden too many horses,for which the're forever grateful as at 90+ kgs I wouldn't get many rides.And I would like to point out that this was a Group 1 classic in Sydney not a maiden in the bush.These guys are supposed to be the best of the best,and I also acknowledge that being a jockey is a dangerous occupation.Surely on a track with a long run in you wouldn't burn your horse if you missed the kick. It will be interesting to see any comments on racing retro next week.

Regards all. The Pig.

What I find extraordinary is that jockeys seemed to take about 8 races yesterday to figure out there was nothing wrong with the inside part of the track. The same happened last year, and no doubt will again.

Jockeys need some basic math lessons on bias and pace. Makes no sense to cover an extra 5m if outside bias is only worth 1m. Shane Dye still wont admit he stuffed the big V. Unless the rail is an absolute bog no reason at all to go so wide. And if the leader is running 12.5 sec furlongs u arent going to win sitting 10 lengths back.

Sorry Pigracer, thought you were writing about the Guineas.I didn't have a bet in the Galaxy so I didn't watch the race

A lot of jocks struggle to judge pace both slow and fast. Far too many bad rides every week.

Pigracer, If you happen to take time and read the reports on the race then maybe you will find out if your refering to Puccini and Shames Award.
Have you ever ridden a horse that wants to over gallop or one whose saddle slips,and carts him along, I don't think so!
Its fine to talk through your pocket but get your facts right first

Vexed issue Pig. I recall a GSchofield ride about a year ago - think I may have mentioned it previously on here (lol) - where he absolutely burnt Pentasia for 400 or 500m prior to the turn and early in the straight. Needless to say I was on for the win at a good price. It was a ride you'd expect of a complete novice. Horse went on to win a couple on the trot under a different jock. Stewards asked for a please explain but took no action. Suffice to say the top jocks are just that because they make far fewer gross misjudgements.

As far as the Galaxy goes Rain Affair was gone as soon as he came out of the barriers slowly. Jock panicked imo so whatever (small hope) he may have had before the race was gone. Interestingly Joe Pride said during the week that he couldn't separate his 3 runners. Quite liked See The World early but after "doing the form" I noted TT's wet and Group form and also gave it a very good chance. In the end didn't have a bet in the race but I agree the rides by Rodd and more particularly CSchofield were less than what you'd expect of senior jocks.

All part of the "game" unfortunately. Last week backed a horse with the BShinn on board. Lost his iron as he came out of the stalls. Sorry, not acceptable for a senior pro rider imo. If you're going to ride short with just a toe hold you'd better be right on your game 100% of the time. Not a fan of LNolen but he rode Le Roi the perfect race.

Speaking of Le Roi - who was a class above yesterday - if you place any store in horse condition but don't get the chance to look for yourself you can do a lot worse than follow Sam Hyland in Melb. Two best presenteds in a row at double figs yesterday. He does what Dufficy used to do years ago with mounting yard mail, but better - selects on 'looks' with little regard to price or form.

Geelong63,
It was Chad Schofield an apprentice not his dad Glen who rode Kencella.
When
questioned regarding the performance of Kencella, C Schofield stated that he was able to
obtain the lead in the early stages without being pressured, however, when Rain Affair
improved to his outside in the middle stages, Kencella commenced to race keenly and,
consequently, was not able to finish the race off. A post-race veterinary examination of
Kencella did not reveal any abnormalities. Stable representative Mr T Ward concurred with
the views of rider C Schofield and undertook to report if there was anything amiss with
Kencella subsequent to the event.

OLD Hand,, young Chad is now a newly elevated "senior" jockey, and no longer an apprentice, part of his resettlement routine after he left David Hayes I believe..

Anyway,,while he is very junior in relation to his contemporaries, he is in fact now considered a senior jockey

Regards

Thanks Oldhand, I was aware of that. My example was coincidental. His dad's ride on Pentasia was an example of what Pig was suggesting - borderline incompetent riding worthy of more than passing comment from stewards (which the ride certainly got) imo.

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts