Horses coming back in distance.

hitensile
Why is it, horses coming back in distance is nearly always viewed as a negative ?

What prompts the question is Sir Slick coming back to the 1350 after 1800 & 2000 at his previous 3 starts. Can a horse be this versatile ? It has cost the connections over 20k to put him in the race so they will need a 4th place or better to recoup their outlay.

I am respectful of the trainer and his placement. He has a great rapport with the horse however it still appears rather odd. Odd enough to wonder what the bloody hell is he doing there ? So what could be Nicholsons thought process with coming back in distance for this race ?

Currently my F.F looks this way A.C, Bank Robber, Danleigh, Sir Slick and Mr Slick boxed. $20 for 16%. So you see I think he can fill a place. But i'll need Court Command not to cross Sir.S. Light Fantastic and Bank Robber not to drive him mad and for the very fit Sir Slick to jump to the front and set up a big break, 4 or 5 and ride for dear life in the last 150m.

Anyway I digress... the question was..what is the biggest problem facing horses coming back in distance and why is it seen as a negative ?

thanks Hit
You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

Lol, Lister I dont recall anyone annoy me that day, so you guys must have been ok. Actually I found going to the races back then, a good fun day, there was always loud boisterous people but never any trouble in the crowd.

A pretty fair effort backing up after a night at the SS&A disco, that place used to shut at 5am.

Lister,

Funny that, I was at the same race meeting on Slipper Day. I was in a lease on a horse having its first start that day, probably better it didnt run, it had trouble keeping up with the ambulance. Ah the days of the old tin shed bar and sandy betting ring.

Although back in those days I would go to just about every meeting in NE Vic and SW NSW.

I should apologise then tigger.
I was on an end of season cricket trip and we probably annoyed the sh!t out of you much the same as we did to the patrons that night at the good old disco at the SS&A Club in Albury. We shifted focus not long after that to the Albury Cup week which was a truly great country cup week in the 90's. Cut back from 3 to 2 days now though.

Though certainly not in the same class as a number of the horses already mentioned in this thread, What a Nuisance was a real favourite of mine as a young bloke.

I reckon he won five or six in a row at one stage, including a 1400 or 1600m welter at Caulfield after winning the Duke of Norfolk(3200); he beat another honest stayer (of Noel Kelly's) coming back in distance named Rake's Pride; I was on him at about 33/1, got the huge quinella to boot and celebrated long and hard.

They sent him to Sydney for the Cup, in which (from memory) he started favourite & was fairly seriously injured; but not enough to stop them patching him up to win the big one the following November.

Clay Hero brings back memories as well. I won't forget the time he was odds-on & beaten first up by a talented but inconsistent Meagher/Williams horse named Leisure. I'm sure me and a mate were the only ones on it that day - everyone in the stands at Moonee Valley turned and stared at us as we roared it across the line at 33/1.

That was a big night too.

Nige

Checked up on Intergaze. He ran 2nd to Tie The Knot in the BMW on 27/3/99 and next start he won the All Aged on 10/4/99. He was a bloody good horse, criminally underrated.

Yes Intergaze was outstanding. The current racing scene could sure do with one like him.

I agree Bill. I put Intergaze in the same position as Durbridge. Absolute top class for a long period and far too under rated.

Manikato also did it after he was beaten in the Rosehill Guineas (2000m) and dropping back in the Ryder Stakes (1400m) a week later to thump a good field by 7 lengths.

Strawberry Road on his path to the Qld Derby win, won over 2020m then won his next start over 1350m before jumping to 2400m in the Derby, all with in 4 weeks.

Lonhro to did it after winning the Aust Cup (2000m) he went on to win the Ryder Stakes (1500m) 3.5 weeks later.

Marbine,

I think you are right, I was at the Wodonga races that day and Im pretty sure they have a meeting that coincides with the CC.

It was a super effort, one of the rare times he never lead and was no better than 3 wide all the way.

There's a coincidence tigger. I was at the races at Wodonga when Vo Rogue backed up over 1200m after the Australian Cup. I think it was the day Courtza won the slipper from memory and Bar Landy put in a great performance to win at the Valley over Kings High..

I'm not 100% sure, but didn't both Kingston Town and Intergaze race in the BMW over 2400m before winning the All-Aged next start (when it was run over 1600m not 1400m)? Pink, you might be able to help out with KT's performances.

My pleasure there Bill G.

Bill,

I can't remember Intergaze's sequences, so no comment, but I think you might have KT a bit mixed up.

KT never ran in an All-Aged, in fact after his 3yo campaign he never ran in the autumn again. Possibly you may be thinking of his spring 6yo campaign? He ran in the Chelmsford (4th over 1800 after getting locked on the fence), then the Hill Stks (2nd over 1900m to Cossack Warrior/Prince?) and then dropped back to the 1600m of the George Main where he beat Northern Reward.

You've got me keen to look up Intergaze tonight though.

Ron,

Regarding Bill's post:

Kingston Town won the 1981 STC Cup over 2400m, defeating Lord Warden. He then switched back to 1600m in the George Main where he blew away the opposition to win by just short of three lengths. This would be the distance switch Bill is referring to.

PINKLINE

Bill

The King did win over 2400 metres then 7 days later stepped out in the George Main and scorched over the mile in 1.34 ,beating horses like Arbogast and Our Paddy Boy.

Not usually a fan of Ian Craig but his call that day was one of his best, really captured the greatness of the horse.

Balciano,

Craig's call was indeed a good one:

'....Our Paddy Boy Boy in a firm pocket and Kingston Town strode clear! Two fifty to go and Johnston has a quick peep 'round. He shakes up the champ. Away he goes!......

Tappy's call of the same race was also a beauty

"...Over on the fence Our Paddy Boy immediately under pressure he couldn't sprint with them but now The King LET GO! The King had raced away at the two hundred. He left them floundering! .......Arbogast is running on strongly into second place but will the REAL King please stand up! Kingston Town by three lengths to Arbogast...."

What a horse he was and to this day remains the greatest horse this country has seen since Tulloch.

PINKLINE JONES OBE

LOL Nice work Balciano.

Yeah, good call Tigerish. I think that the Ellis Plate was on Caulfield Cup Day? And I also think that Peter Cook rode Vo that day and he carried 61kgs. Stand to be corrected but from memory that was, IMO, one of his greatest wins.

Lister,

I think you hit it right by saying a horse needs freakish ability to do it.

Vo rogue was a freak and he did it twice. He won the St George (1800m) and then came back and won the Futurity (1400m) and the up to the Aust Cup (2000m) at his next start. And again in the following spring he went from the Turnbull (2000m) to win the Ellis Plate Hcp (1400m)

Good Call Tigerrish

I remember Vic tried the imposible after one of his Australian Cups and backed him up 7 days later in the Stanley Wooton Stakes over 1200 at MV.

Shows the high esteem he was held in, he was sent out odds on and ran 4th, just in front of Clay Hero who had just come within inches of the Oakleigh Plate/Newmarket Double.

Some horse.

Hit,

My view is that coming back more than 400m is extremely difficult. Most trainers tend to come back 200m or freshen the horse up if coming back more than this.

I believe the primary factor though is the horses pattern of racing.

If a horse comes from the rear normally, then I consider it a much more difficult task to come back in distance and win ie they simply run out of ground for their sweeping run.

If a horse is a natural leader (in particular) or races close to the pace, I believe they are much better suited to coming back in distance as they won't have the problem of running out of ground.

My theories could all be BS. Hope you have some luck today.

Regards

Timesman

Rough Habit dropped back 600m from the Doomben Cup to win the Stradbroke several years ago and Super Impose dropped back 800m from his last placing in the BMW to win the Doncaster.
I think a horse would need to have the freakish ability of those two horses to be competitive let alone do it and win. Theseo tried recently and couldn't go a yard in the Epsom and he's a pretty handy horse.

Sir Slick didn't run bad off the drop of distance but he couldn't led either

Dropping back more than 20% is too hard.

How do you know how hard it is WS?

Had trouble when training your horses to do it have you?

Or are you speaking on behalf of the trainers that attempt it by saying it's too hard as an observation you goose?

You dont need to be a trainer to know its difficult 7th. The stats on horses dropping back in distance speak for themselves. No wonder you're stuck in the picnics.

I might be wrong but having started in 1800m and 2000m races his legs won't be fresh eneough to lead this. Court Command will lead him easy. Bank Robber will probably be in front of him too. I loved a horse called Omnitrader and followed him closely. He was a front runner. When he was younger and being kept to 1000m and 1200m he led those. As he got older and went out 1400m to and 1600m he led those but whenever he came back to 1000m after he wouldn't have the legs to lead. If Sir Slick leads I'll eat my hat.
If he runs a place I'll eat my hat but I've been wrong plenty before so don't worry about me.

There is no way that Sir Slick will get a break on this field. In fact, I doubt he will lead. Court Command to cross Bank Robber with Jungle Ruler to sit outside the leader. Sir Slick 2 back hopefully outside Danleigh on the fence.

With Light Fantastic, Mr Slick & Something Anything all likely to go forward, the pace should be on.

Actually, I have probably got it wrong as the cat won't want to get too far back, nor will Duporth.

I fear that my tip will need the inside to be racing fairly to win - go Danleigh.

Sir Slick has had more starts in the last 9 months than most would have in a two years, the horse has had 21 starts in 44 weeks with a 6 week break amongst it all.

Dropping him back in distance is more likely trying to squeeze every last drop out of the horse because there's nothing suitable for him coming up.

Here's a bit of useless information. I've been doing stats on winners of races from 2000m and above. This does not include jump races. I've done the last 61 races.
There have been 44 winners that their last race was run over a shorter distance.
7 were the same distance as their last start.
10 were going down in distance.

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts