Saving $$$ - Rules of Racing

theprincess
Not sure which way this thread is going to go but I was wondering if people had "one" particular rule they'd care to share from their punting experiences that usually saves them money because they stick to it instead of listening to that inner beast. A rule that prevents you from even betting in the race.

I have quite a few but one that has saved me quite a bit recently is;

The Princess Rule - "Hot Weather Policy" - Never bet on races where the temperature for that location is predicted to be over 33 degrees.

Love to hear a few others ....
You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

Never back a Favourite unless you are certain it will win

Don't back a horse till the next day

lol wcf - stole my thunder

I was thinking along these lines.

1. Adopt a supercilious attitude to your fellow punters.

2. Claim expertise by giving out tips and lavishing self gratification the day after a race.

3. Lay horses to lose (but only four or five times a year, apparently).

4. Hold regular fan club meetings in broom closets, wardrobes and telephone boxes.

Nige

Amigos

Dont back a horse with bad breath.

Adios

I try not to bet on races 1 and 2. It gives the jocks 2 races to find the fast lanes (the punters as well) and also the first two races are often poor betting races anyway as the programming of the races gives you better quality races later in the day.

Don't back horses with wide barriers at Doomben

Never back a horse with bad feet or breathing problems

theprincess,

A couple of rules that have placed me in good stead over the years are:

1. Don't bet in races where over 50% of the field is first or second up... and;

2. If you top rated horse is not an overlay don't bet in the race.

Cheers,
Night Flight

The Big C doesn't have rules to saving dollars...he just makes them.

MC
R&S'S EQUIVALENT TO JBC

Avoid most 2 yr old racing until the month before the Slipper.

Won't back anything first up unless it has previous first up form, regardless of ability. Same goes for second up horses.

The only tip I have is don't eat pies on mondays, they have probably been in the shop all weekend.

Seriously, I never ever listen to spruikers on internet chat forums.

Rex

If a horse looks the goods on paper and opens up a short price fav and goes for a bath in the betting, stay well clear.

Avoid markets where the bookies are framing at over 120-25% (Ireland is shocking for it)

Never back a horse first up that doesnt have first up form, dont care how good its form was prior to a spell (this rule can be reversed)

cheers

Lol Rex; if he didn't like the percentages

My Dad used to study the bookies boards' intently for 5-10 minutes; if he didn't like the percentages he'd roar "You b@st@rds should be wearing @#$%&* balaclavas!!" and head for the bar and/or the tote. One of the last things he did was teach me how to bet with bookies & get the fractions. Those were the days.

Nige

Never back a horse that won it's last start in a Maiden.

Good horses always run fast times.

Really windy days. I find that these days throw up odd results.

I don't bet if I have no money.

Other than that, it's open slather.

One of mine is that if something comes up a short price in a race that I haven't included in the chances, I either leave the race alone or make a token bet like an exacta/trifecta. There's another race around the corner.

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts