Improving Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling

Sydeston
Credibility disappears quickly on a post with poor spelling, grammar or punctuation. Many of the posts on this site are inane enough without compounding the issue. Conversely, complete gibberish can sometimes pass muster simply because it is competently expressed. Just some of the more common mistakes are discussed below. Now pay attention class.

Your and You’re:
This seems to be the most common error. “Your” is a possessive pronoun and is used in cases such as: “Is that your form-guide or mine;” “Please take your hand off my knee,” and so on.

“You’re” is an abbreviation of “You are”. “You are a goose” can be shortened to “You’re a goose.” The apostrophe signifies that it is an abbreviation. The recent post titled “Your an embarrassment” has confused the two. So when about to write your or you’re, just ask yourself the question, “Am I saying “you are” or “your – something belonging to you”?”

“To” and “Too”.” To” is a preposition indicating motion or direction while “too” is an adverb meaning “in addition”, “very” or “to an excessive extent”. “I am going to the pub”, is an example of the former, while “That is too ridiculous for words” is an example of “too” indicating emphasis.

“X” and “Y” are one of the same.” No,” X” and “Y” are one and the same!

"Definite" and "definitely" are correct, not "definate" or "definately". Definate was a good horse who came from Queensland as I recall.

The classic “fo par”! The words are “faux pas”, a French phrase literally meaning “false step”, the English meaning extending to a social blunder.

Abissimal – the word is abysmal.

Remeadial – should be remedial.

Dissapointing – should be disappointing – one “s” and two “p’s”.

“Must of” rather than “must have”: “He must of gone to the races;” should be “He must have gone to the races.” “He would of won the race” should be “He would have won the race.”

“Here here” – no, it is “hear hear”!

The grocer’s apostrophe! When saying something like “I’m going to the races,” we do not use an apostrophe and spell it “race’s”. The word “races” is a simple plural, made plural by the addition of the letter “s”. We use the apostrophe when indicating possession or an abbreviation. Possession as in “the dog’s breakfast”, indicating the breakfast belongs to the dog; abbreviation as for example in “you’re” for “you are”, as mentioned earlier.

I hope these comments are useful. Additional posts which may help lift the standard of expression I’m sure will be welcomed by the moderator. Detentions will be considered for repeat offenders.
You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

Breeyunt post Sydastone :)

JONEZ BCE

Thank you Pink - always gratifying to see one's efforts taken seriously and everyone stick to the "straight and narrow" of the original post!!!

""""I'm guessing you use DODO""""

PMSL.

You'll have to excuse this additional post. It's getting repetitive, especially on a racing and sports forum. Time to move on - but one parting shot.

I admit I glossed over much of the rhetoric in your last post but this gem sticks out because it is exactly the sort of uninformed nonsense that conservative parroters keep rolling out.

"Now she wants to whack up prices based on lies and then expect people to pay $100 a month for the internet LOL"

Internode, as you know, was the first ISP to announce NBN charges. Its prices are already generally comparable with current (unreliable and highly variable) copper-based broadband. Obviously as more providers enter the market so prices will drop or packages will improve.

Here's an example:
-Current broadband cost: $89/m with phone, 8Mbps linespeed, 12GB download limit.
-New Internode NBN cost $60/m with phone, 12Mbps/30GB.

If you stopped streaming shock-jocks you could probably considerably reduce your internet costs - and the need for a regular detox to boot. But either way the NBN will be your saviour. You'll be able to download myriad messages and images from Phony, Barnyard, and Moncky much faster if not more cheaply than you already do.

I'm guessing you use DODO. Apparently they are already offering cheaper plans.

Speedy,

If a mining company blew millions on exploration drilling that got them nowhere would the media hound them and write them off as incompetent nubnubs?

If a punter went to the track planning to back six horses and only four of them won would we mock them for being a hopeless punter?

Not all public spending turns out to be a winner, but as flawed as some public spending programs are, government spending went along way toward keeping Australia afloat.

There seems to be a notion that the mining industry kept Australia out of trouble through the GFC. This is nonsense. If every industry in Australia sacked staff at the same rate as the mining industry unemployment in this country would have hit 19 per cent.

That's not my number - that's from Dr Ken Henry - the former Treasury boss. Mind you he's just a public servant leftie tree-hugger, so we might take the word of Clive Palmer instead.

I'll take a slightly flawed government spending program over 19 per cent unemployment any day.

"There seems to be a notion that the mining industry kept Australia out of trouble through the GFC. This is nonsense. If every industry in Australia sacked staff at the same rate as the mining industry unemployment in this country would have hit 19 per cent."

You are misguided on several levels.

Firstly the mining sector creates a lot of wealth for employees who spend money in the economy as well as super and direct holdings for millions of Aussies.

Secondly Aust was in a low debt position after 11 years of Howard/Costello so Aust didnt end up like Greece or the US.

Thirdly the RBA dropped rates 2% to avoid a big hit and this had a dramatic impact.

The govt spending mostly took place after the worst of the GFC and was misdirected and wasted on nonsense.

But then we have the dill Geelong blamely "right wing" people for bad ALP policies.

You lefties sure are clueless about economics and life in general.

Where did I say I agreed with gab?

Anyone seen LostaClue lately? LOL

Three things, Chivas.

There is nothing on here that interests me, unless I want to put an opinion into the shredder of climate change.

I don't bet in winter.

I'm busy at the moment.

Why don't you start a thread with Tufnel, he's excellent when it comes to mischief, and like you, when he does it, he thinks he's getting somewhere.

Indeed WS. Maybe No Clue Whatsoever and his appallingly inaccurate psychoanalysis will too.

Nige

'I don't bet in winter.'

Interpretation:
Come winter, I've never got any money left, I've done it all during the spring, summer and autumn.

'I'm busy at the moment.'

Interpretation:
The repossession guys are back, time to barricade the doors.

Be good when the spring carnival starts. All these silly topics will disappear.

"If a mining company blew millions on exploration drilling that got them nowhere would the media hound them and write them off as incompetent nubnubs?"

They answer to shareholders not everyone.

Gillard has wasted billions not millions.

Clackers is on par with Gab - says it all. The nutters agree.

While she refused to do a cost-benefit analysis of the NBN because it would show big losses and 85-90% of people not using it.

Seriously with higher food, higher electricity prices on top on the CT adjustment who is going to pay $100+ for a decent NBN package?

Only a small % which means billions are being spent to please a few movie downloaders.

It's a lemon.

Weighty tall man talks about IQ tests but can't read where I said I support neither party...what clueless muppet.

You are obviously a rational fella who can sort the wheat from the chaff WS. During your deep thought on issues such as the BER and the insulation progam did it ever occur to you that the few rorters who took advantage of Gillard and Garrett's naivety were your right-wing 'free enterprise' mates? Agreed, these programs, like many which involve govt-private 'partnerships', were far from perfect (seems the complaints about value for money in a massive 3.5% of cases had some foundation according to the BER Taskforce report).

But, unsurprisingly most economists don't seem to support your comment that they 'achieved nothing'. Apparently there is a general belief that they shielded Australia from the worst effects of the GFC, and assisted in keeping the economy from recession and thousands off the unemployment list. But hey, why would anyone believe economists, or scientists for that matter? They're all part of the commie proletariat are they not? Check under your bed tonight.

Totally agree the NSW Labor govt - particularly from Iemma on. Not surprising that a lot (50%) of the gross overcharging in the BER occurred under their administration. Doubt if there's been a worse state govt in recent history, although they had nothing on the Bjelke-Peterson or Askin regimes.

ROFL...IQ tests, what have they ever done for the good of mankind.

99% of people might think LC is a nutjob, but 100% think you are a jumped up yuppie with small man syndrome.

Suggest you re-read the quotation WS.

Geelong,

In the US there were stupid Americans voting for Bush and his wars but the Democrats are still involved in these wars and the economy is on the edge after years of mismanagement from both major parties.

Go to Nimbin and do IQ tests then compare to a conservative area.

So your quote is a load of khrap.

When you finally get somethink write, or show a masterful appreciation of the subject matter feel free to criticise others. Better still find something else to float your boat. Until then you are what you are. Recommendation #3: do your homework and learn to aim your gun so that the sites are facing away from yourselve; and #4: learn to concentrate on the ore rather than the bedrock and tailings.

Oh you've done it now Orangatang, once Clackers gets a whiff of trouble he just can't keep his big ore out.

He's like those flys in summer, the harder you batt them away the more determined they are to get up your nose.

regards..grandma and puncktuation expert.

"The objection was that you called a cliche that practically everyone knows, wisdom. And what you pour into the ear of your son that comes out of his mouth is not admissable character assessment."

SO WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who the phark does this mammoth half back flanker think he is?

*sigh*

Well, I'm off to ring a few uni mates [yes folks, I went to University], have a drink [yes folks, I enjoy a drink], converse with my son [yes folks, I have children and talk with them regularly], and reminisce about some of the chats I used to have with my Nanna [yes folks, I learnt things from my Grandmother] when I was a young bloke.

Poor No Clue Whatsoever. This repulses him.

Sad.

Nige

As lnog as the frsit and lsat leettr of msot wrdos are in the corrcet oredr, msot peolpe will undrestnad waht is tyrnig to be siad.

This is a racing and sports forum, you do not need a double degree to be able to utilise the forum. If a lack of punctuation puts you off, don't read the posts.

If people lose credibility in your eyes, so be it. Have a look at many of the articles placed on this site and tell me that they are any better (although granted it has improved lately).

Pointing out errors re spelling and grammar doesn't make you any brighter than the rest of us, just more pedantic.

'you are the only one on here who tells us your private life'

As I, and others as far as 3 years back, have said before - irony is not one of your strongpoints is it? You are however an elite hypocrite if nothing else.

Suffering withdrawal symptoms are we? No stories from the East side to read at bedtimes of late?

And, actually, I'd hazard a guess that 90% of the forum prefers reading about Nigel's grandma (sounds like a very wise lady) than the constant dross emanating from your keyboard. Shall we have a plebiscite to see who agrees with your presumption about what is suitable for this site? Perhaps you could enrol your 'mentees' to get the vote beyond 1.

A couple of pieces of advice (if anyone should be taking professional advice it's you - mine's gratis on this occasion): (i) you (apparently) rely on your memory. Don't. Think of what you (okay, not you but an above-average mentor) might say if a student rolled that excuse out; (ii) try to refrain from commenting publicly on things about which you know little/nothing. You'll save enormously on power bills on what we've seen so far.

Geelong63, I could deal with your turgid posts, that isn't it at all.

When masterly/masterful and so many other things are pointed out, you continue using them.

Who could be bothered with that pretence.

The extremes you go to defend absurdity I will leave for others.

Lostclarity do you want a phone card so you can go call someone who cares??? I've found a better lovers tiff than you two guys. Matthew Knights V Matthew Lloyd takes centre stage. What are the forums thoughts on this lovers tiff?? I think Knight has shown his true colours here getting into a club legend and premiership player in Lloyd. Knights was a selfish player at an average club in Richmond. His couching record speaks for itself also as very average at SANFL and VFL levels and well we all know how he went as the Essendon senior coach.

"Improving grammar, punctuation and spelling"

FYlolz

PMSL @ Geelong

freakin gold I tellz ya ..gold.!!!

Seems like the forum conservative just ain't feeling the lurv.

My, look what the interweb turned up.

"A hater he came and sat by a ditch,
And he took an old cracked lute;
And he sang a song which was more of a screech
'Gainst a woman that was a brute. "
PBS

How apt.

All the best
JS Mill reincarnated.

MD

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."

Brilliant!

Thanks for the reference Quez. I have read nothing of JS Mill but seeing your post I am further intrigued - not the least because of his coining of the now well-developed concept of the tyranny of the majority - something which came up a few months ago on another website I visit from time to time (okay, I raised it).

Some terrific Mill quotations can be found here: http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/John_Stuart_Mill/

'If mankind minus one were of one opinion, then mankind is no more justified in silencing the one than the one - if he had the power - would be justified in silencing mankind.'

'Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives.' (a concise description of certain sections of modern America)

'Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit.'

If only......life were that simple.

What price these two.

Quezacotl tells Geelong63 he's like John Stuart Mill, Geelong63 feels good about himself; checks himself out in the mirror, sees a likeness, rearranges his image, surfs the net, comes up with some John Stuart Mill quotes, says thank you, accepts a pat on the back and his head swells.

Nigel Tufnel gets in the queue for family, gets a quote that's been around for a hundred years, culminating in Mungo McCallum using it; Tufnel pinches it for family, presents it to his grandmother, calls it her wisdom, she decorates it with a solemn 'Son' and bingo, the family takes a shot-in-the-arm of fame.

"'Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives.' (a concise description of certain sections of modern America)"

So the 20% of yanks that build businesses and make lots of money are stupid? Most of these people are conservatives LOL

While you're a nobody left winger who makes 1/1000th of what they make LOL and they are the stupid ones.

Stupid people in Australia are lefties and greenies who build nothing and bludge on society.

gab

"Stupid people in Australia are lefties and greenies who build nothing and bludge on society."
Yet again showing how clueless you are Weighty.

Left wing governments in Oz are all about building infrastructure and services for the people. Right wing governments in Oz are all about building a budget surplus. I'd rather have medicare, education and all the other services and infrastructure available in Oz that was mainly built by left win governments than a surplus.

"Left wing governments in Oz are all about building infrastructure and services for the people"

LOL what a joke

After more than a decade of Labor in Qld and NSW the infrastructure is a joke. Bad hospitals, bad roads, inadequate dams and trains are a mess.

Then we have Gillard/Rudd wasting billions on school hall rorts and pink bats and achieving nothing.

Now she wants to whack up prices based on lies and then expect people to pay $100 a month for the internet LOL

Labor is an economic disaster that couldn't build a tuckshop without stuffing it up.

But little Gab supports all of these disasters.

It's no suprise that the dumbest people on the forum - Gab and Quez would support such disasters.

Their punting and life is a disaster.

gab

Weighty,
Did I say I support Labor?
Labor post-Keating has become a centre party, almost slightly right wing. It became extenuated after Howard and his ideologies and lies regarding children overboard etc. I refuse to support any party that leans to the right.

If I had to choose between Gillard and Abbott only, I would never pick the mad monk.

Good assessment gab.

Quez,

You are a short man with small ideas. It's written in all your posts.

Never seen such a pathetic whinger as you.

Wow. Looks like it's getting close to time for a padded room and a straitjacket folks.

"Nigel Tufnel gets in the queue for family, gets a quote that's been around for a hundred years, culminating in Mungo McCallum using it; Tufnel pinches it for family, presents it to his grandmother, calls it her wisdom, she decorates it with a solemn 'Son' and bingo, the family takes a shot-in-the-arm of fame."

We really have to ask ourselves what is No Clue Whatsoever's problem. Clearly the poor fellow has several deep-seated issues. Oh crikey, my dear departed Nanna has quoted thousands of people including Mungo McCallum and inserted the word 'Son'. Clearly the end of society as we know it. Call the police.

Even more laughable is the 'fame' bit. Again, I thought this was an anonymous internet forum.

This excuse for a bloke [not a very plausible one, mind you] is clearly suffering from Khrapperitis - he desperately wants to be taken seriously, but he simply cannot help shoving his foot into his mouth every time he opens it.

What's happening in Paris tonight?

Nige

It's straightforward, Tufnel: you are the only one on here who tells us your private life. It's a public forum; it isn't about you.

The objection was that you called a cliche that practically everyone knows, wisdom. And what you pour into the ear of your son that comes out of his mouth is not admissable character assessment.

Have another drink.

Sheer undiluted hipocrisy. Hilarious.

Sanctimony taken to extremes.

You have done the near impossible for somebody who wants to be taken seriously[apart from khrapper of course] and made a mockery of yourself.

Look at The Professor self destruct, folks.

Nige ;-)

"It's straightforward, Tufnel: you are the only one on here who tells us your private life. It's a public forum; it isn't about you."

Garbage Lc.
It's a public forum and you don't get to decide what people divulge about themselves or their life. As long as none of it is offensive where's the problem?

I don't get to decide and nor do I try to. It's not about deciding, he's free to say what he likes. That he isn't too smart is not my doing.

A few weeks ago you came on shooting from the trees then disowned your arrow as soon as it reached its mark.

Now the voice of reason.

A lot of ducking and weaving going on here.

You talk sh1t Lc. My opinion only. You won't like it. I couldn't care less.

I await your overly literal response.

Cheers Lister.

Great second sentence.

Nige

'It's straightforward, Tufnel: you are the only one on here who tells us your private life. It's a public forum; it isn't about you.'

Once again, it's foot in mouth time for our very own clueless clown.

'My father was a truck driver, as are my sons. I came to teaching late, having come out of a tech. school education. I’m an average guy who wants to make a difference, and teaching is the way I do it. Unless I’m delusional, I’ve chosen the right career path.'

You're delusional alright, no worries there.
Love the old well-worn 'I’m an average guy who wants to make a difference' routine. ROFL!!

No idea when I wrote that but as Bob Hawke said, 'When you leave out the sentence either side it's a lie'.

I imagine I said that in response to claims I was an academic. I don't say that because I'm not.

You construction of any case on here is risible when: the $20339 I won in August 2009 didn't happen; the quaddie I picked on here the week before the quaddie comp didn't happen... And so on ad infinitum. You insist on adding them up on one side and not the other.

One sunny day somewhere, anywhere, any politician speaking to reporters who are asking typically predictable hollow questions regarding the opposition..

Reporter)-Mr Opposition leader, what do think of the current goverment elected at present..?

Opposition leader)..look you just can't trust this government, you can't believe what they say, and you can't rely on their judgment. And the implicit infallibility of the Prime Minister, which has been an accepted thing in Australia, is badly hurt by this, because it shows that people do things the PM wants to do even though it's wrong, and the PM can be wrong."

ROFLPMSL...fairdinkum.

LC Vs Geelong

A splendiferous theatric two and fro exquisitely pointing us to finer examples of moderna langwage pontification.

LC - Is really in actual fact Percy Bysshe Shelley.

PBS for short is a big fan of Simlish language PBS is now hiding here on a gambling forum after her involvement in the Sokal affair.

Geelong - studied from a young age the works of Stéphane Mallarmé who's works include..
The Evolution of Literature, A Spiritual Mystery, Mystery in Literature.
Geelong is really John Stuart Mill, a long time poetry critic and beatnik, who is now hiding here on a gambling forum looking for random genius minds.

They were Keatings' economic reforms.

Being the keen student of politics/history that you obviously are I'm sure you'll recognise some of these minor landmarks:

Land Rights, universal health (Medicare), NPWS, PJT and the Trade Practices Act, Family Law, Racial Discrimination, end of conscription, Australian honours awards, 'recognition' of China (the 'well-digger'), free tertiary education, women's affairs, abolition of White Aust policy, legal aid office.....

'Who did all this?' I hear some of the X and Y-ers ask. 'Must have taken decades?' But you already know the answer WS even if your right brain won't allow you to utter the words. It was of course Australia's greatest reformer - Edward Gough Whitlam. Achieved without Senate majority but in a time where politicians had at least a grudging respect for good policy and each other.

Yes and sometimes all it takes is a glance at the author. In your case we're fast running out of salt.

Cheers geelong - spot on about Gough & Paul, and especially the paucity of salt.

N.T.

This a public forum not a place to promote your personal world with transparent clichés.

Reserve this stuff for 3am when you’re maudlin again.

Lister good for you goose you should be LOL.

LOL Nige sounds a little bit like Lister

You've got to be kidding me. The personal as cliche again. 'Son' at the start is a dead give-away.

Wisdom is determined by your reader not by you telling us what it is.

"Wisdom is determined by your reader not by you telling us what it is."

If that's true LC how come 99% of people on here think you are nutjob with a low IQ?

I've had plenty of disagreements with Nige but can recognise he's far more sensible and more normal than you.

Some of the khrap you go on with is unbelievable.

What about:

'That was a classic tonight, dad'

'Indeed it was, son'.

Was there ever worse, more caricatured staging.

'Was there ever worse, more caricatured staging.'

Yes. Look at a mirror.

'Wisdom is determined by your reader not by you telling us what it is.'

Actually it's determined by the ability to keep your mouth shut when you have no idea what your are talking about.

You know very little about football.

You know nothing about cycling.

And you certainly never met my Nanna.

So Shut Up.

Nige

Gee Lister you do have a bee in your bonet today sunshine LOL. I seem to recall a guy in history that took on several fronts at once. It didn't work out well for him in WW2

I'm not even mildly concerned Relic.
Mildly amused perhaps. Maybe I'm a bit bored come the end of the week.:)

Nige, have to agree with that.

The ALP has been a disaster in the past 40 years apart from Hawke who introduced some needed reforms.

Can't see anything improving for a while, a long while.

Gab,

So you follow racing to lose money. That would explain your loser mentality.

Cheers WS [Hands 'n Heels too]

This ain't a Labor government either.

There hasn't been a true Labor government in this country for decades.

Hard to tell both major parties apart most of the time. One's in power telling porkies & stuffing about, and the other's whining about it & whipping up a bit of hysteria. They just swap sides when the swinging voter decides he/she's had enough of looking at the mob in power.

Once considered becoming active in the ALP. It didn't take me long to reconsider. Again, I had to restrain myself from laughing a lot of the time. Took up indoor cricket instead.

My dear old Nanna used to say "Son, whoever you vote for, a politician will get in." Wise lady.

Nige

That's a mighty fine post Nige.

I concur with all of it and pretty much have the same view and experiences.

Getting back to the matter at hand my childish fiends...

If you all reckon your ego and personalities are more important than each other's on an anonymous internet forum...

then...

you have all got another THINK coming...

not...

you have all got another THING coming

What on Earth are you on about Kipfler...?

Medic....we need a medic here now STAT..!!

MEOW, MEOW, MEOW. Gee it’s getting a little catty around here lately LOL. Oh and by that comment Lostclarity I don’t me the Geelong type of cat LOL. The boys are all getting upset over some spelling and carbon tax LOL.

I know what we can do to make all you fella's happy again and play nice together. Let’s have a spelling bee and the members of the forum who get their spelling wrong can pay a $1 to Julia the Carbon tax LOL.

LOL..if your weak as wet lettuce pot shot, was directed at me WS, then you are right to a certain extent, money doesn't mean jack to me, It's nothing more than part of an equation, it could be colored marbles or matchsticks, punting is a hobby and artform, the rewards could be sides of lamb or buckets of jello.

The thrill of dissecting historical data and then rearranging it into a future calculation, then watching to see if you solved the puzzle and got it right is where it's at.

You should come doofin one time, smell the flowers, drink some hippy hooch and open your mind a little, do you good to get some fresh air, pretty stuffy over there on the far extremist right I hear.

What's your point again...?

"You should come doofin one time, smell the flowers, drink some hippy hooch and open your mind a little, do you good to get some fresh air, pretty stuffy over there on the far extremist right I hear."

You need to go easy on that glue. I'm a moderate rational person.

You're a basket case and even the other lefties can't stand you.

SPRUNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quez said this -

"If I was you I would be taking those thongs and hammocks from your couple of 17 year old maiden geldings, and find yourself a nice warm shady spot and take some R&R.

Give it a rest man, they aint gunna win a race face it, plus there are no benchmark 13's on the picnic calendar are there..?"

This confirms one of either two things -

1.) quez and Chivas have been inboxing each other! (LOL!) and Chivas has been filling quez in on all he knows about certain forum members. (LOL!).
LOL @ Chivas too, who pretends to be a respected member of this forum but is inboxing a loser like quez.

2.) quez is not "new" at all but is a much older forum member in disguise.

WHICH ONE IS IT BOYS??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Kapcher, you claim you are not who people think you are and that you haven't been around too long on this site yet now you accuse someone of being an older forum member in disguise. If you tell the truth about your identity how would you know about a much older forum member?

We all know you are the many times banned ribby/cornerstone/horizons/seventheaven/picnic trainer imbecile. You haven't got any smarter since you told the forum you had ADSL cable Internet because the back of your modem had ADSL/Cable written on it.

Chivas may be many things but he isn't someone that takes fools like quez serious.

Nor fools like you.

I think you are getting one thing confused Lister.

I didn't witness your welching when you said you would leave these forums for good when WBGU got beaten in the Cox Plate, I was merely told about it by one of the many other forum members on here who don't "suffer fools" like yourself.

Speaking of fools - you are quick to dish out the accusations of various other aliases that you think I may have possessed weren't these a couple of your gems when you were "meant" to be in exile?

1.) Clackers
2.) raggamuffingunner

Please. Do share.

In the words of the famous q(Q)uez, when he has been stitched up -

"What are you on about?"

Good one Kapcher.

The facts are, I'm not hiding anything.

You however, appear to be a little flustered. Change the subject all you like. You know as well as I do what I'm on about. So does everyone else.

Going back a little over a year ago a character named boof182 was exposed as being the latest incarnation of 7th/ribby/cornerstore/horizons/ashby etc.

About the same time a character named Kapcher appeared. Boof182 soon disappeared but Kapcher remains.

Here is a post from each that explains a bit;

Author: boof182 
Send message to this user

Timestamp:- 5/6/2010 7:56:26 PM
Subject: Re: Sir Time Keeper

Has Musket won a Group 1 yet you hack? ROFL LOL ROFL LOL ROFL LOL

What about Shoot Through? LOL LOL LOL Won a Sires yet?

Author: Kapcher 

Timestamp:- 9/7/2010 9:12:01 AM
Subject: Re: Racehorses like to race

Has Musket won a Group 1 yet? ROFL.
Has Shoot Through won the Sires yet?
Post a reply to this message.

Kapcher = boof = 7th heaven

Hide all you like Kapcher but there is a trail of dirty blowflies following you everywhere you go. How many times did you get banned? Never for me but several for you.

"Apart from a few proactive individuals, the overwhelming majority could not care less - unless there's money in it. "

Sounds remarkably like a Labour government...

Quez, you're paranoid dude. The whole forum doesn't revolve around you. It's pretty obvious I was referring to Nige's lefty comments.

But if you're a lefty too that would explain the irrational behaviour.

Kapcher....what are you on bro...?

You have been following me around for yonks now posting ridiculous snips and cracking that same old tired farrier line, and you seem to be laughing to yourself a lot too, yet when Count gives you a couple of touch ups you squeal like a pig and get all bent out of shape.

If I was you I would be taking those thongs and hammocks from your couple of 17 year old maiden geldings, and find yourself a nice warm shady spot and take some R&R.

Give it a rest man, they aint gunna win a race face it, plus there are no benchmark 13's on the picnic calendar are there..?

That's pretty funny quez.

My 3yo thinks the Simpsons are funny too.

gab

Don't know Kapcher,

But Weighty Speedy Special's last clueless post about why lefties shouldn't follow racing shows how clueless he is. Lefties follow racing because of the redistribution of wealth Speedy. Couldn't think outside your sheltered, blinkered world.

Then there is a reply from Quez who thinks WS's post was directed at him when it was clearly directed at Nigel. Quez is definitely one of the biggest tools to have come on this site. Totally clueless and from his last post, very self-centred.

Lister you remind me of Bart in that episode of the Simpsons where Lisa runs experiments to see if her hamster is smarter than Bart.

The Hamster learns the food has an electric shock when reached for, lesson learned and doesn't attempt to touch it again.

Bart just keeps reaching for it again and again and again.

zzzzap zzzap zzzap.

I might start calling you Bart from now on.

Rex I can assure you the post was not about having a go at you or anybody in particular - just a constructive and I hope light-hearted attempt to improve the general readability of the posts.

Re your remark about strengths at school, I freely admit to being in the slow learner class in maths for two years and to this day understand absolutely nothing about algebra and trigonometry.

cheers and good punting to all.

Good grammar don't cost nothing, eh?

:)

"Whilst "racingandsports" is a great site, the majority of the forum users are very uneducated. There is plenty of evidence of that in almost every thread"

Please enlighten me how this statement went over my head, it's riddled with malice, does not contain even a miniscule bit of humour...love these people who post nasty stuff then backtrack with "hey I'm joking". It's like these people who start a sentence with "I'm not racist hey, but.."

If you are insinuating that this post was sarcastic, then..I'm sure you are familiar with..

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Oh and speaking of miniscule, nevermind it might go over your head.

A bit like the bloke that blunders and then offers this after the fact,

"I love to ignore the dotted red line that continually bobs up under mispelled words, it's just me I'm a rebel.. ignoring them is fun, it takes intense willpower to ignore them, plus sometimes I like to intentionally post with errors"

Or the bloke that has a computer that changes the spelling of horses names when he uses the cut and paste function. Was it Jetter or Jeter?

"No offense Sydeston, typo's are a way of life on forums, deal with it.

Not only a tool but a liar.

Getting found out on forums doesn't take much quez. Deal with it.

Yes tic, I'm a Victorian and a Leftie.

But am I left or right handed?

Which foot do I kick with?

What religion am I?

What's my star sign?

Nige

Rex

As one of the offenders on this front I should reply to this thread.

I enjoy reading posts that are well written and grammatical correct; a good example would be some of the posts that Ron Turcotte submits. I think I’ve mentioned in here before that I would like to have the ability to articulate as well as some are able to.

However I would prefer to judge the post on the content and not the spelling or articulation.

I think we all should accept that people have strengths and weaknesses in different areas. I for one breezed through maths at school but only just passed English.

I also submit some of my posts on the run, i.e. when travelling. These posts are on a little laptop that I have and quiet often the mistake made is not due to a lack of knowledge but though having “fat fingers” on a small keyboard.

Having said that, if it makes people happy I suppose I could run my submissions through a spell check first.

One of my favourites was the clown who turned up on a horse-racing site talking about a 'trifector'.

Hellooooooo LostaClue!

Chivas,

You should really stop stalking LC.

You're a dead-set loser.

I await your well-spaced response.

'You're a dead-set loser.'

Says the clown-trainer who's horses are so slow and lazy, they have hammocks in their float.

Don't know why lefties follow racing. Thought you guys werent interested in money. So when you win $200 do you give $10 each to the nearest group of people?

Ultimate left wing TAB - Whether your selection wins or loses you get your money back and everyone brings a plate of food to share with tofu high on the list LOL

tic

Nige. Yes I was a member of the NSW Teachers Fed for 38 years.Only joined because of their great Health Fund. Been to plenty of meetings and have seen many lefties like you. I loved watching them squirm when I wouldn't blindly follow all their political spiel.
They actually DO have a voice on the curriculum in NSW. You should know that.Not sure what state you are from--sounds like Victoria.
"Excellence in Education" has always been their call,but is a smokescreen and has never been a priority.

You're all a bunch of "loosers"

The award for tool of the week goes to GAB for this enlightening post.

Author: gab

Timestamp:- 20/7/2011 1:28:49 PM
Subject: Re: Improving Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling

Whilst "racingandsports" is a great site, the majority of the forum users are very uneducated. There is plenty of evidence of that in almost every thread.

Now for the translation so others can understand:

Well said Sydeston,

Whiles racingandsports is a grate sight, the majoritee of forum yousers are very diseducated, on the hole. Their is much evidense of this in almost everyone of the threds.

-----------------------------------------------

Plain rude and offensive mate.

gab

Thanks Quez,
Coming from the King of Tools that is a great honour.

Quez, you need to stop taking things so literally.

Then perhaps, most things won't continue going straight over your head.

You are the biggest tool this site has ever encountered. Nothing overly literal about that. Take it exactly as you read it.

"The problem is we lost a whole generation to correct grammar, when our lefty Teacher Unions thought it wasn't important. Now of course grammar is back."

Sorry tic, but I can't find a word of fact in either of these sentences. Teacher Unions influencing curriculum - hilarious.

Ever been in a Teacher Union or chaired one of their meetings? Possibly the least radical bunch of people ever assembled. Apart from a few proactive individuals, the overwhelming majority could not care less - unless there's money in it.

My Dad was an active member of the AMWSU in the 70's. He saw some very intersting sights. He'd roll over in his grave if he saw the trivia and nonsense that goes on in a Teacher Union meeting. I have to restrain myself from laughing out loud most of the time.

Nige

This thread is nothing more than "nanny state" on steroids "BIG TIME"

Remeadial – should be remedial.

ERRR no kiddin' D!ck Tracy.

I love to ignore the dotted red line that continually bobs up under mispelled words, it's just me I'm a rebel.. ignoring them is fun, it takes intense willpower to ignore them, plus sometimes I like to intentionally post with errors, it winds up the few plodders here who have nothing better to do than type things egghead, dud, dill, goose or LOL..!! when they find them...

No offense Sydeston, typo's are a way of life on forums, deal with it.

Turnitup mods, how was that post not allowed through.

fairdinkum.

Jezza,
re: golden rule for stationary/stationery

'E' is for envelope.

cheers
Moley

Moley

Don't talk to me about "EEEs" I follow the West Coast Eagles you can't teach any of us about EEEEs.

If the emphasis is on the second syllable, double the last letter: prefer ~ preferred.

Otherwise, hinder ~ hindered.

Separate - two Es, two As.

Dont get me started on imply/infer.
Dont get me started on disinterested.
Dont get me started on contractions without apostrophes.

Why worry about trivial things?

Dangerous drivers concern me a lot more.

What a 'looser'.

Double superlatives are a problem I dislike immensely.

So too is the habit many people have of pronouncing etcetera as "ekcetera".

Anyway, this is possibly the most stupidest post ever.

I couldn't give a stuff about spelling. If someone types a word, even if its not spelt write, you know what it means or is intended. I am too busy to worry about that khrap. Besides it doesn't increase the returns on investment, so who care wot way a word is spelled.

Like when I told Manu that it was a priviledge to challenge me, becuase he did not deserve to, too unqualified. He knew he was out of his league and couldn't match my record so he diverts all the attention to my spelling of a word, in an attempt to change the subject, becuase he knew he couldn't outdo my punting prowess.

Same as Tufnel, he would not get around 30 good Lays in 3 lifetimes. Yet all he can find to point the finger at, is a spelling error.

Talk about a dumb bunch of b...

I thought it was "O" for onvelope, so I've always spelled it 'Stationory'.

Unlike Sum of Yoose on here

I didn't do a lot of Skooling...

I was velly quickly put into a job.. and it woz only aftee retiring that I woz able to improve me Educakeshun Skills

I have wed a lot of Wot Ewe have written, but understand velly litle of it

q(Q)euz,

Please take note.

As an ocassionall error-maker meself I take ya point laddie but I dinna care hugely if the content is even a wee bit interesting, amusing or witty.

However I will agree that anyone who puts 'of' after 'could' should of been gelded at berth, and anyone who thinks theres is bigger 'then' mine orta be burned at the steak.

Your kidding Sydeston! This is definately to difficult. The abissimal grammar on hear might be dissapointing too you but most couldnt care about you're apostrophe's.

;)

Haha, excellent post Sydeston. Standards are indeed at an all-time low.

Couldn't agree maw.

A golden rule to remember...

'i' before the 'e' except after 'c' when the sound makes 'ee'...

Therefore; retrIEve & mischIEvous, as compared to reCEIve & reCEIpt...

I do have a couple of others..

stationery / stationary
I am aware that the 'e' version is the newsagent supplies variety and the 'a' version is the car has stopped variety; however, similar to the above does anyone have a golden rule to remember the differentiation...

Also another that particularly grates me...
If you don't know the answer,
"hazard a guess"... is not...
"have as a guess"

tic

1. Completely agree. The worst is "should OF won " instead of the correct "should HAVE won".
2. When someone is talking rubbish the correct expression is talking "DRIVEL" not "DRIBBLE ".

The problem is we lost a whole generation to correct grammar, when our lefty Teacher Unions thought it wasn't important. Now of course grammar is back.

gab

Well said Sydeston.

Whilst "racingandsports" is a great site, the majority of the forum users are very uneducated. There is plenty of evidence of that in almost every thread.

Now for the translation so others can understand:

Well said Sydeston,

Whiles racingandsports is a grate sight, the majoritee of forum yousers are very diseducated, on the hole. Their is much evidense of this in almost everyone of the threds.

A bugbear of mine: It's "toe the line" not "tow the line"

Iglesia

I always thought the same as you but Rocky Burnett thinks otherwise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPBwbdRuKPc

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts