My favourite sporting moment from 2010

Gattonera
March 18, 2010 – London: Clint Dempsey (Fulham F.C.)

“….Dempsey won the tie with an 82nd-minute goal that, for its immaculate execution and utter audacity, recalled Eric Cantona’s chip for Manchester United against Sunderland in 1996. Without giving the remotest clue as to his intent, the forward swivelled outside the area and “sand-wedged” the ball into the far top corner over Chimenti, who watched it arc over his head as if hypnotised by its beauty” (extract from The Times)

THE BACKGROUND
Fulham have battled for survival in the EPL since the rapid rise from (the old) Division 4. The 2006-7 season saw us narrowly avoid relegation and 2007-8 had us even deeper in trouble. Roy Hodgson was appointed to work a minor miracle and he finished the season with a major miracle to his credit. With four games to go, there was one survival spot remaining and three teams struggling for it, with Fulham being at least 4 points behind the other contenders, having not got an away win in the past 34 attempts. After a rare away win, another away trip to Man City loomed.

Half-time of the third last game saw Man City 2-0 up and cruising against Fulham and fellow relegatees Birmingham 2-0 against Liverpool. At this point, to avoid relegation at least six goals needed to occur… and they did!! Fulham got 3 late goals to beat Man City 3-2, Torres scored 2 late goals to keep the Brummies to a draw and Spurs scrapped a 1-0 win against Reading. Two games later and Danny Murphy puts away a 76th minute header to get a last game 1-0 win and the much coveted 17th spot on the EPL table. The next season Fulham unbelievably qualifies for Europe!!

THE CAMPAIGN and THE MOMENT
In the lead-up to the legendary Europa League Round of 16 final against Juventus, Fulham already had to overcome trips to Lithuania, Russia, Switzerland, Bulgaria, Italy and the Ukraine. The first leg of the final was a 3-1 loss away in Turin. Not a great result, but at least there’s an away goal.

That small glimmer of hope was snuffed in the opening minutes of the second leg when Juventus went 1-0 up (for a 4-1 aggregate lead). In one of the more remarkable comebacks in the recent history of football, Fulham found 3 goals and at the 81st minute, the tie was on a knife-edge with an aggregate score of 4-4
Then…. THE Moment (extract from The Guardian)
“It will be the winning goal that becomes a touchstone for Fulham in years to come, whenever they have to convince themselves that extraordinary feats are feasible...... Juventus were conquered by a goal of almost unfeasible delicacy from the substitute Clint Dempsey. After 82 minutes he cut in from an angle on the right and floated the ball high into the far corner of the net. At the age of 39 the visitors' goalkeeper, Antonio Chimenti, must have been relishing this occasion. Now he must carry its memory into his retirement.”

THE WASH-UP
A win against German Premiers Wolfsburg in the quarters and a nail-biting come from behind win against Hamburg in the Semi saw Fulham into the final against Atletico Madrid. They went in front, we got an equalizer. The game went into extra time before Diego (aaarggh) Forlan scored an 116th minute winner for the Spanish side and left Fulham a bee-stick away from a truly remarkable victory. Never has failure been so glorious.

Hodgson wins Manager of the Year by a landslide and then gets himself stolen by Liverpool who become embroiled in their own early season relegation battle (going to prove that one man’s prosciutto is another man’s prosecco). Fulham after losing to bottom side West Ham on the weekend are deeply mired back in the relegation zone with a bleak future to sit alongside the glories of the year. Spurs look to be writing next year’s tale of wonder, but I’ll leave that to Eastside Steve and Patsy to swoon over :)

Happy New Year to all on the forum. Hope that next year on the punt is a rewarding one - and I hope that big quaddies keep landing for those that deserve them.
You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

Viewing Such Is Life, an amazing journey, an amazing expose' of the AFL drug testing regime.

watching Spain play will give you a bad case of blue balls- prolonged foreplay and no scoring.

The try my lad scored from the kick-off for Maroochydore U/10 against Palmwoods. He just hit the ball on the fly and went straight through the entire oppistions team.

Living vicariously, and loving it!

Cheers BP

Something close to home

Daughter winning the interschool sprint double.

Disappointment Sports bet not fielding on the inserschool sports.

... I thought she was a good thing.

Spain winning the world cup.

Amazing team, might not have set big scores but the dominated possession like I've never seen before. No other team in the world could get the ball off them. I was cheering them on from start to finish learning about all the players as I went.

I can still hear the vuvulelas :p

Iniesta's extra time winner in the WC final for Spain

Cain destroying Lesnar.

In no particular order, my 3 favourite sporting moments of 2010 were:
A drawn AFL Grand Final in a strangely anti-climatic way.
Zipping winning the Sandown Classic again and fittingly having the race renamed after him.
Graeme McDowell's putt on the 17th to effectively win the Ryder Cup for Europe, great pressure putt!

An honourable mention also to Heath Shaw's smother in the GF replay......although I cannot stand the Pies, that single act typified one teams hunger for a Premiership over anothers'.

2 x 9 dart finishes in the one match.

The one and only Phil Taylor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvnP2VwQb6E

Torp..

Forget about Taylor Torp this guy is da man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GspbUSu1NT4&feature=related

http://alexwilliamsoncomedy.com/?cat=11

The look on Eddie McG's face when Dane Swan missed out in the brownlow.
Then the look on his face when the Grand Final ended in a draw.
Then the look on his face when Collingwood won the replay.
From disappointment, to anguish, to elation.

Dont like Collingwood but Eddie is a champ in my view.

Good on him.

As far as racing goes, my favourite sporting moment was watching Hot Danish win her first Gr1 in the All Aged at Randwick in April.
They don't come much more honest or consistent than Hot Danish and it was beginning to look like she would finish her brilliant career without a much deserved Gr1 win to her name.

Finally, at her seventh Gr1 attempt she did it, after making the pace all the way, nothing was going to get past her in the run to the line, she fought off Melito who issued a challenge at the 200m, but class prevailed and Hot Danish was far too strong at the finish.
She then gave us all another reason to cheer at her very next start when she towelled a crack field of sprinters in the Doomben 10,000 making it back to back Gr1s.

She's not getting any younger, and it would have been unjust for this great mare to have finished her career without the reward of Gr1 status, she has it now, and being able to acknowledge her for it, was for me, a highlight of 2010.

Nine letters:

M u n d i n e K O

Nige

Nice one Nige

Can't go past Blacks a Fake's 4th Interdominion at 9 Years of Age.

Didn't back him, but just a wonderful horse.

I have three that I can't separate

1. Collingwood's premiership win
2. Collingwood's premiership win
3. Collingwood's premiership win

nice post Gattonera a wonderful effort by fulham..

you'll need more of the same today at the lane!

my fave sporting moment?

well considering i had a few hundred on phil mickelson to win the us masters at 12-1 has to be his masters win for me..
wife suffering with cancer,was very emotional also..
that shot out of the trees on the 13th..
when i heard him tell his caddie he's going for it i honestly thought it would be bound for the creek..but what a shot off pine needles to 4 feet..when it landed i was possibly as happy as phil was..
love someone who goes for it and that shot was one of the best under pressure ive seen..
:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c38cJQ8I2oo&feature=related

Rex

In no particular order.... (sure I have forgotten a few)

McCoy winning the grand national

The Aussie lass who had blowen her knee out several times (name escapes me) coming back and winning gold at the winter olympics- very gutsy

Roosters def Tigers in one of the greatest league matches ever seen

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts