Slipper Day/Derby Day?

The Tutor
I notice the Sydney press today getting right into the Melbourne versus Sydney debate and claiming that Slipper Day is better than derby Day.

Interesting theme to think about.

What say you forumites?

For me it will still be Derby Day at the moment, but the revamped Slipper Day is a race card to behold.

Laws Clause: I live in neither Victoria or New South Wales
You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

Being from NSW it has always been Doncaster Day for me. We would always go to the country races for the donny, and to Randwick if possible.

I've never been to a Caulfield Guineas meeting, but it is the one I would like to attend.

Louthe and Birdsville are fantastic days.

Mr Lister,

Matt Stewart is the worst when it comes to this us vs them stuff.

I remember a few years back on Epsom day where there were four quality group 1s on the card and the first thing he said on the radio that morning was to do with how superior the melbourne (turnbull stakes day) card was to the sydney card. he is at it again in todays paper.

slipper day is a great days racing. Saturday was ruined by the weather but I challenge anyone to put forward a better days racing than what was on offer there.

vrc derby day is also a super days racing.

Personally, my faviourite day of the year is cox plate day.

no problems there rump.
I think Matt Stewart is a dill.

Melbourne Cup Day is my favourite days racing.

I have always loved all the carnivals , everywhere....[ Doncaster day if pushed ]
The failure of Racing to progress with the Times and now in struggle Street is a pity but one day....???
Marbine is correct re affected tracks , bias or any other variable can be a gold mine to the smart form student.
We saw some clever punting from many value hunters on Slipper day....
Had a private message from one this morning who backed 5 winners ...probably some dutching but great effort...

It was a great day's racing anyway, despite the track. I didn't bet in Sydney all day because of it. In fact I rarely bet on Sydney races.

I wish we could run the same meeting next week on a dry track to see some quality horses be able to perform at their best.

Interesting comments about Caulfield Guineas day being rated better by some than Derby Day.

I like Cox Plate Day the best, followed by CG day, then Caulfield Cup Day.

I don't see what the problem with a wet track is. The same for all and some good, rough results if you can find them...

Weetie,

Read the title properly before you shoot your mouth off.

Interesting the number of melbournites suggesting they prefer Caulfield guineas day to Derby day... being from Sydney, I must say I prefer Epsom day in Sydney to Slipper day. Sure its missing an absolute grandstand race, but it benefits from being the grandfinal for the Sydney spring. It has a full card of black type races, the first appearance fo the babies for the season, and a good mix of G1s, albiet without a WFA event, but the Epsom generally attracts the top-line milers in Sydney (Thesio and All Silent lined up last year, before that we had Desert War and Racing to win)

Most importantly, from a purists perspective, it doesn't have the hype of the major autumn dates so the crowd usually isn't so full of drunk kids.

Doesn't matter really.

Races on every day if you want to bet.

If you win on the day it's a good day whether it's class 2 races and the like or group races.

Big races attract a lot of hype but tracks get overcrowded and takes too long to get food and put bets on.

I've been to the slipper, doncaster and derby days and it's good if you want to get p!ssed and perve on women but for punting purposes no need to even turn up.

The one niggle about Derby Day's claim to best racing day is that it is bypassed by a reasonable % of the star horses. With Cox Plate the previous week and the Cup a few days later - you only get a few of the WFA stars trying to redeem themselves in the Mackinnon, and a few stayers trying to sneak into the Cup field

Still, a full day of nothing but Group races is an irrestible prospect. I go to Derby Day every year, but I agree with Smallsy - Caulfield Guineas Day is my personal fave.

Victoria better carnival NSW better horses.

Once again the so called Melb/Syd war is brought into play from the NSW press. It's a one directional thing. Melb people don't really care about the rivalry and it is rarely if ever mentioned.
I am a Vic for the record. I love the Sydney Autumn and the Brisbane Winter but Derby Day in Victoria is the pinnacle for mine. Call me biased but that's what I reckon. There is a lot more history attached to the racing on Derby Day than there is for an overprized 2yo race that is driven by the breeding industry. Having said that, the GS Day card is pretty damn good and I reckon the Sydney Carnival has just about got its act together now. A healthy rivalry is what we need and it is good for racing.

I think the number of people through the turnstiles is a reasonable indicator; if only most of them weren't so p1ssed.

Nige ;-)

Not sure that you can use crowd figures as an indicator Nigel. Flemington is so much bigger than any other track in the country that of course their big days are going to attract much more people than elsewhere.

To me its the atmosphere of Melbourne Cup week that makes Derby Day so good and IMO better than Slipper day. Ive travelled interstate for both days and really nothing compares to Derby Day (and Cup week in general). However, the quality of race on today (5 Group 1s) gives Slipper Day the nod in terms of pure racing (although the rain may ruin a lot of that this year).

Id probably sum it up as follows:

Going to the track: Derby Day by lengths.
Watching on TV at home: Slipper Day (just).

Agreed camel.

Smallsy, I tend to agree with you. It is always the NSW commentators who talk up the rivalry as if they are constantly trying to prove something. The autumn carnival in sydney is truly magnificent but we know it is not as good as the Spring Carnival, especially in terms of atmosphere. Moreover, the overseas camps only consider bringing their horses out in the spring.

Slipper Day at the moment even though having boys weekend away and going to Derby next week.

However, if the Doncaster/Derby Day merger happens next yr then, it will dwarf Slipper day once again.

in Melbourne, we also enjoy Caulfield Guineas day better. Not as busy and still just as good on the eye and Racing just as good.

Yes, there has been some interesting comment.

In total context though: crowds, atmosphere, media coverage, racing, betting, venue...

Slipper Day is a mere pimple on the bottom of Derby Day.

IMHO.

Cheers,
Night Flight

PS: I attend the Slipper each year and have done so since 1995.

I'm Victorian and I prefer the Caulfield Guineas day to the VRC Derby day. GS day is prob a better race day these days than the VRC Derby.

With regards to racing, it's my opinion that the NSW/Vic bias is mainly a NSW thing. Callander and co are always giving it to us but I cant think of a Victorian racing personality who does the same.

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts