Melbourne Cup runner comp

brownie

Reading the current MC thread got me thinking of an old friend who allways claimed he made good money for over 30 years offering everyone 20/1 about them picking a Melbourne Cup starter before weights were released. I fairly sure this is what he did(cant check with him as he has passed away) so I thought I would trail it on forumites.

Here is the comp.

Pick any horse you like (more than 1 if you want & I will set you for $2000 to $100 (only in cyberdollars) about that horse running in this years MC.

Has to start-emergencies & scratching @ the barriers dont win.

I will close betting when weights are issued. This is the 1 point I am not clear on, when he stopped taking bets so will try it this way & see what happens.

So hopefully we have plenty of punters prepared to have a shot & I will declare the winners & my profit/loss (hopefully the former) after the 2008 Cup has been run & won.
You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

This is the only time I picked Viewed to do anything all spring.

Author: infidel
Send message to this user

Timestamp:- 31/7/2008 1:36:36 PM
Subject: Re: Melbourne Cup runner comp

An interesting challenge, even if the tale that inspired it sounds implausible.

20/1 for a starter? So I could have had 19 picks with your old friend, and if one them starts, I finish in front. Even I couldn't lose!

But back to this-

1 efficient
2 kibbutz
3 gorky park
4 tuesday joy
5 viewed

Bookies will be doing cartwheels (again) if none of them make it.

Profound Beauty

Yea mate something is badly wrong, dont know what, maybe I stuffed up totally & it was picking a placegetter, I dont know.

I think it was Infidel who pointed out straight away he could get 19 picks wrong & still break square, that made me think a bit more about it & realise I was barking up the wrong tree.

But having started, I can't back out now.

Mrs brownie has allready started a 2nd job to help pay everyone, mind you she isnt happy!

Brownie

I dont think this was the method your old mate used.

I take all 297 nominated horses @ a cost of $29700, I reckon i have at least 22 starters which means you will pay me $44000 To breakeven I only need 15 starters.

Rex

ILl give 50/1 about any of O'Briens from Coolmore and 100/1 about any of the Japanese!!!

cheers

Viewed

Cat's Fun
Zagreb
Efficient

Mad Rush
Yellowstone
Lord's Ransom

Littorio
Baughurst
Chantal Sally

Anone else want some easy money.

Think I might have to slip down to Vicyoria & nobble Efficent!

I have listed my payout on each horse backed sofar (not a pretty book, just shows I should have put more thought into this B4 going publc)

Have also listed a current market as it makes interesting reading when compared to the horses the forum members have backed to start.Also listed several horses who were not picked by 1 punter to start in the Cup but feature in the market.

Mole & Pinkline (if either of you read this) will arrange a free $100 voucher for both of you to back Iluva Queenslader & Pop Rock respectavly due to you passion for those areas.

CURRENT PRICE PAYOUT
ALEXANDER OF HALES $24.00 6000
ARAPAHO MISS QUOTE 2000
BAUER $41.00 2000
BOUNDLESS $34.00 6000
CEST LA GIERRE $21.00 2000
DOLPHIN JOE $101.00 4000
EFFICIENT $10.00 226000
GALLOPIN $51.00 6000
GORKY PARK $34.00 8000
GUILLOTINE $67.00 2000
HEAVENLY GLOW $34.00 2000
INSTRUCTOR $151.00 2000
KIBBUTZ $21.00 14000
LITTORIO $26.00 16000
MALDIVIAN $15.00 2000
MASTER O'REILLY $26.00 6000
MOURILYAN $67.00 2000
NO WINE NO SONG QUOTE 8000
NOM DE JUE $26.00 12000
ON A JEUNE $81.00 2000
PENTATHON $51.00 2000
POMPEII RULER $41.00 2000
QUEEN OF HALES QUOTE 2000
RED LORD $51.00 2000
RED RULER $41.00 2000
REDONDO BEACH $101.00 2000
RIVA SAN $41.00 4000
SEPITIMUS $13.00 8000
SIRMIONE $51.00 4000
TUESDAY JOY $26.00 20000
VIEWED $17.00 8000
YOUNG MICK $81.00 2000
ZAVITE $101.00 2000
ZAGREB $51.00 2000

Horses not backed.

ALAMOSA $26.00
WEEKEND HUSSLER $21.00
LIGHT FANTASTIC $26.00
LORD RANSOM $26.00
MAYBE BETTER $26.00
YEATS $34.00
FIUMICINO $41.00
POP ROCK $41.00
LEICA FALCON $101.00
ILUVA QUEENSLANDER $331.00

Red Lord
Dolphin Jo
Kibutz

Efficient
Septimus
Tuesday Joy
Alexander of Hales
Kibbutz
gallopin
redondo beach
queen of queens
pompeii ruler

It doesnt even need to win LC just run & I will have to sell the Merc & the Rover.

Gorky Park
Tuesday Joy

anyone know what is happening with Completion and Leica Falcon? Both have dropped off the radar.

Lloyd sold Completion and he's now trained by some bloke I've never even heard of.

Efficient, and if it wins you're in more trouble than the Tirpitz. Or a pregnant nun ~ I'll give you 20/1 for either.

Gallopin

On A Jeune
Littorio

Dolphin Jo

ould I please have $100 on Red Lord

Efficient
Tuesday Joy
Nom Du Jeu

Efficient
Alexander of Hales
Septimus
Master O'Reily
Kibbutz
sirmione
Tuesday Joy
No Wine No Song

cheers

no one's mentioned maybe better or fiumicino? anyone know the deal with these horses

riv

heavenly glow
nom de jeu
efficient

cheers.

Littorio

Riva San

Tuesday Joy

Thanks

Good response thanks for that fellows.

The feedback is good to, I tend to agree it is hard to see how it works out well for me but it is something I have wondered about from time to time & am interested to see the end result. The worst thing that cah happen is a lot of winning forumites & that cant be bad!

Keep the bets coming & I will boot it back to the top a coupla times when interest dies so anyone who missed out can get set.

As for the number of bets I am happy to let people bet as much as they want, I dont know what he did about this-maybe only let people have 1 pick, he never went into any great detail about it & maybe/probably he was geeing us up,as the first time I ever heard the saying "never let the truth get in the way of a good story" my father was refering to this mate.

Keep em coming!! Sounds like it is easy money for you all.

Nom De Jeu
Red Ruler
Efficient
Kibbutz
Cest La Gierre (Spelling)
Viewed
Littorio

Boundless

Well ok will you even bring this post up but I will go Littorio and Boundless.

Zgreb
Efficient

20/1 is an absolutely farcical price. It could not have possibly been the price that he could have laid the bets at. Some books bet at 12/1 fav and (many under 20/1 to win the race and he wants to give 20/1 to face the starter?....)

Anyways-

Efficient
Septimus
Master O'Reilly
Gorky Park
No Wine No Song
Tuesday Joy
Alexander of Hales
Nom Du Jeu
Viewed
Bauer
Young Mick
Mourilyan
Kibbutz
Littorio
Boundless

I dont want to send you broke, so I'll stop there

Littorio
Instuctor(as a roughie)

KI

Efficient
Nom De Jeu
Arapaho Miss
Kibbutz
Guillotine

Nige

Riva San

An interesting challenge, even if the tale that inspired it sounds implausible.

20/1 for a starter? So I could have had 19 picks with your old friend, and if one them starts, I finish in front. Even I couldn't lose!

But back to this-

1 efficient
2 kibbutz
3 gorky park
4 tuesday joy
5 viewed

Bookies will be doing cartwheels (again) if none of them make it.

What the hell..

Gorky Park
Gallopin
Tuesday Joy
Sirmione
Riva San

Cheers

Hands

Tuesday Joy

Maldivian

Efficient

Good Luck.

Thanks Brownie. I'll take Efficient. My missus wants Efficient too, so does my brother, my mum, my dad, my sister, my Year 8 geography teacher, my U14 footy coach, my boss and my dog Fido.

So if you can set me for $200,000-$10,000 that would be swell.

Efficient
Septimus
Nom De Jeu
No Wing No Song
Gorky Park
Pentathon
Viewed
Zavite
Master O'Reilly
Tuesday Joy
Littorio

Brownie,

i'll kick it off (is there any limit on number of bets?)

EFFICIENT (only injury will stop him)
TUESDAY JOY (only Gai will stop her)
KIBBUTZ (only his big gangly self will stop him)

3 to kick it off.

Dolphin Jo

no wine no song

Littorio thanks

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts