RIP Sunline!

worker collective farmer
Friday, 1 May 2009: Champion mare Sunline was euthanized early this morning after a lengthy struggle with Laminitis.

The amazing mare trained by Stephen McKee had been battling Laminitis for approximately nine months. A number of options were exhausted in trying to nurse Sunline back to health with little avail before the McKee family made the decision to euthanize the popular Sunline.

McKee will address the media on the tragedy later today.

A privilege to watch her race, Sunline leaves us with many great memories amassing 13 Group 1 victories.

Sunline regularly demolished top class Group 1 fields, case in point being her seven length win in the 2000 Cox Plate.
You need to Login to Post a Answer in the Forum

http://www.stanceglobal.com.au/Staging/Equine/DynamicPage.aspx?EntityId=103766

http://www.laminitis.org/laminitis.html

http://www.laminitisclinic.org/

www.vet.upenn.edu/Research/BasicandClinicalResearch/SpeciesBasedResearch/LaminitisInstitute/tabid/882/Default.aspx

LEGEND

R.I.P.

Let's defer to the experts then:

"SUNLINE rates equal to any mare to race in Australia in the post-war era, except triple Melbourne Cup winner Makybe Diva, says Racing Victoria handicapper Greg Carpenter."

You just don't get it, do you Bell?

if you say so duh

Sadly I know you do. That's why you're so pathetic.

Rex

You try to stay out of these things but geeez. This post was designed for forumites who wanted to pay respects to the champion mare, if you want to submitt anything that is not a direct tribute to Sunline, why not show an ounce of decency and start another post.

cheers

Sad news, she is a legend and certainly deserves the high ratings she is given. Just a pity that germ Bell Flight has surfaced on this thread to stir the pot. This isn't the place for blueing over who has the best opinion. It is the place to pay homage to a true great of the Australasian turf.
Thankyou Sunline for being the great champion you were.
I'm not mad at you for letting Rose O War beat you and wrecking my quaddie anymore. I just remember how damn good you were. RIP.

Very sad for a champion to pass before her time.

If I can add just one thing about the Northerly, Sunline debate - gee I miss those days of racing.

Farewell great mare. The best there ever was.......

Jones,

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, Kerrin has his. If he thinks Northerly was the best horse he saw, then thats his choice not yours.

Dont desecrate this thread into your pointless crusade yet again.

Smokin,
You were, well, Smokin there. Good read.

RIP girl, you were a true star.

Oceania racing was all the richer for your presence and we are all the poorer for your passing.

I reckon we will all have a favourite memory of her, mine was the first WS Cox Plate.

One of the best of our time, RIP the great mare.

Vale Sunline,

When I read the news I became a little teary. She gave us racng fans five wonderful years of her brilliance as a racehorse. She was very special.

Condolences to her connections.

Pink , that was excellently put...
I couldn't agree more.
A true champion.

Yes the 2000 Cox Plate was one of those rare races when I had the luxury of saying "I haven't had enough on" before my selection had rounded the home turn.
Gee she was traveling.

RIP Champ.

sad to hear...was the best horse in australia when i was living there...very consistent and genuine...always a soft spot when its a mare taking on the colts...RIP.

One of many memorable Sunline moments :
2000 Cox Plate:
The realisation, as she coming around the home turn, of just what was unfolding in that race.
She'd had a less than ideal passage after trying to cross from the outside barrier, but it was of no matter.
I was one of many giving her a standing ovation for the length of the MV straight (and beyond) - what a treat!

Very sad news. I'm not looking forward to breaking the news to the missus.

Condolences to Sunline's nearest and dearest

A sad occasion indeed, however, the duality of this historic moment recognises the immense joy and excitement conjured up by this wonderful racehorse over so many seasons. Sunline goes down in history as both the greatest Australasian mare to ever race and as one of the all-time greats.

Goooooo Sunline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PINKLINE JONES OBE

Very sad day. Commiserations to all concerned.

Truly great racehorse.

Very, very sad. RIP to her, the best race mare I ever saw.

Condolances to all concerned.

Wow.....what a loss. Sad day indeed for racing.

Wonder will any of her progeny get anywhere near her standard. Anyone know how many she foaled in the end? I seem to recall her first service was with ROG in 2003 or 2004

Hands, as I understand it....

4yo mare-Sunstrike by Rock of Gibraltar
3yo colt-Sun Ruler by Zabeel
2yo filly by Rock of Gibraltar
yearling filly by Hussonet

Sunstrike has won once from 7 starts with three 3rds. She seems to have taken some time but has improved along the way and has a 1st/3rd formline this time in. She's in at Te Aroha tomorrow over 1200m. She was beaten fav at her first five starts, including going around at $2.20 on debut in a midweek 2yo event won by Nom Du Jeu.

Sun Ruler had a bigger reputation which he hasn't really lived up to yet but he won a 1600m maiden at Avondale last week. He probably has a few wins in him and I'd guess with the lack of Zabeel stallions they'd put him to stud somewhere regardless of what he wins on the track.

Behind Northerly, she's the second best horse I've seen. It rocked me when I read the news. She was a great mare.
R.I.P Sunline.

Good bye Sunline

Had a quick look at this site first time for about 2 years. some people here are sad!

Davo

I didn't get to see enough of her. R.I.P.

The great Sunline represents everything Bald Fright is not.

Looks like not much has changed here over the last few years.

She was the greatest. Season after season she put in incredible performances. There were so many crushing victories and the brave defeats only added to her greatness. I shake my head to think how hard she made a 4 year old Lonhro fight to get past her at her penultimate start.

I can only hope to get to see another horse that can create the same excitement in the lead-up to every single start. We've been lucky to have seen one.

Thanks for the memories girl.

Sorry Kerrin,

When Northerly wins a Cox Plate by seven lengths, multiple Group One miles in Sydney, plus a major trophy on the international stage, then get back to me. Northerly was tremendous but let's keep it in perspective.

PINKLINE

RIP Sunline. Certainly the best mare to come out of New Zealand. If Northerly hadn't come along her record would have put her right in the "best ever mare" discussion with Makybe Diva. Wonderful racehorse indeed.

Very sad news..

Wonderful horse who's consistency over 48 starts and 5 seasons of racing was simply amazing.

Not a horse alive that would have beaten her on Cox Plate Day 2000, she was untouchable that day.

Along with Northerly and Might and Power part of a wonderful era of genuine champions, the likes of which we haven't seen since. The Best WFA Mare our part of the world has ever seen...and may ever see.

RIP Girl.

RIP Sunline

one of the greatest horses to grace our turf and just a pure pleasure to see her race she had ever champion quality you could ask for in a horse hopefully one of her offspring can become atleast an above average horse to carry on her name.

Yes hysterical stir there Bald Fright. A Bellinda doesn't change it's black maltese crosses.

Sunline IS the best ever mare from Australasia. She racked up six more Group Ones than MD, won a prestigious international mile race and fought her heart out for a third in a Dubai Duty Free. Sunline was a champion over many seasons whereas MD (a fantastic mare btw)can only be rated a true champion for ONE year only. As for Northerly, his deceptive head to head over Sunline has no effect whatsoever on Sunline being correctly rated as Australasia's greatest mare. And one more thing...Northerly had three attempts at winning in Sydney for zero wins, the latter figure comparing more than favourably with your i.q. Fool.

PINKLINE JONES OBE

Pathetic stir there, Bell. This is not the time or place.

Jones, his really isn't the time for a debate about Northerly and Makybe Diva.

Thats right Bell Flight, now isnt the time. Which begs the question, why on earth would you even mention Maykbe Diva and Northerly in your intiial post? You just cant resist having a dig can you? What a pathetic individual you are.

An absolute champion of the turf and sad to see her go like this. Being from Qld I didnt have the luxury of being able to see her every campaign but I was lucky enough to see her on a trip I made to the 2000 Doncaster meeting. She might not have won that day but gee it was a thrill to see the immortal in the flesh. Inducted into the Hall Of Fame while still racing says it all!

I wish someone would euthanise punting patto, talk about a one trick pony.

Just read the sad news. I thought she must have recovered since hadn't heard anything about it for a while. She certainly didn't get the retirement she deserved. Its sad that she had to suffer so long and still couldn't be saved. I'm sure the McKee's tried everything and are feeling pretty gutted.

She was one of my all time favourite racehorses and I rank her with Surround as the best 2 fillies/mares I've ever seen.

A sad day.
RIP Champ

Thanks for that RC, appreciate it.

I read a story about Sun Ruler's maiden win. McKee I think made a comment about her offspring being slow starters, the fact that SR is a Zabeel probaly only compounds the issue - be interesting to see how her only son travels, will have to keep an eye out.

She was a phenominal Race Horse.

I remember the 1st time I was ever saw her on a racetrack, at randwick in the flight Stakes, after backing Zaroyale. I thought at the 200m the one streaking away was her, however I was sorely mistaken.

From that moment on, I kept an eye on this muscular machine from across the ditch and cheered loudly when she fell at the hands of rose'o'war at caulfield that day when her colours where finally lowered.

However the next time I saw her in the flesh again, was on Doncaster Day. Time after time I did the form, and said quite clearly, this filly couldn't win.......bull^^^t. Sunline smashed them and little did I know it wouldn't be the first time I would see this unfold.

A week later she stepped out in the Queen Elizabeth and went down, I thought it was a red-letter day, I got some back against her and she had to graduate to open class from here on in, good luck I thought, good luck.

Then to the paddock she went and I thought that was the last of the dominant Sunline we would see. She returned in the spring and was good early, then coming into the epsom, she started to falter. When she got to the Cox Plate again, I wish they had betfair back then. The all talked up Tie the Knot, he was after all a far superior open age galloper. Had plenty of Group 1's and had finally got his melbourne leg right winning the Underwood.

I agreed, the Cox Plate is won by the best horse, and the best horse in the race was Tie the Knot, however the hulking thoroughbred what was Sunline, well if anyone remembered that Moonee Valley Oaks rehearsal that she bolted in 8 months earlier........Tie the Knot and myself was in trouble!!

12 Months later and again I found myself on the hill at the Valley, again trying to find something to beat the Mare they called Sunline. I thought I found the horse in Sky Heights, so again I watched however this time I just shook my head in awe. I compared her winning the Cox Plate by 7l with the time i was fortunate enough to see Might and Power win a Queen Elizabeth by 10, treasure these moments, this doesn't happen every day. So i did, fu$kin Sunline.....

In Hong Kong I cheered loud for Fairy King Prawn, backed him too, he was the Champion of the Territory. They Loved him, as I was going to as well, until fu&kin Sunline did it again. Her Win in Honkers was Outstanding, but she did me out of my money again!!

Doncaster Day in 2001, was a very satisfying day for me, Over won the Doncaster, my mate backed him and when he ran Sunline down, beer showers where everywhere!

She was a fantastic Mare, her 2nd Doncaster was simply outstanding, I backed Shogun Lodge and just couldn't contain myself when Bossy went all Greg Hall on me, All I said was Fu&*kin Sunline.

You made my punting life a living hell, but you also provided me with some of my most treasured turf memories in victory as well as defeat.

R.I.P Big Girl

F*&kin Sunline

smokin.........

LOL Smokin'

She was one f* good effin' 'orse!

Geez Smokin', the bookies must really have trouble containing their laughter when they see you coming. If thats how you punt, you should give it away mate.

What a sad day for racing not just here but around the world with the great mare losing her fight. And how sad for the McKee's to have to make the gut-wrenching decision to have her put down. Thankfully we have dvd' and video's to marvel at for many years to come.

In 50 years time when someone desribes a horse as "she's as good as Sunline". Anyone who is still alive then who saw her will no doubt laugh and say "not likely, Sunline was one of a kind"

riv

just tragic

Rex

Geeez this is sad news. The greatest Australasian mare Ive ever seen and a true champion. Has earnt a regal spot in horse heaven, and god help any mare or stallion that gets in her way. RIP Champ

The best Mare I ever saw race.

R.I.P ........to a true SUPERSTAR of the turf.

VaD

It's a little left field but I think itd be fitting for the current OZ champ to win tomorrow.

A true great.

I'm honoured to have seen her race.

The bloke upstairs is putting together a pretty handy stable.

My thoughts with the McKees.

This is a tragic day for two countries.

The greatest 1400-2000 mare (possibly horse) I've seen race.

I still remember the excitement I felt every time I went to the races knowing Sunline would be racing. I must have seen her win about 6 races live, including some famous wins such as her Coolmore win with about 60kgs, her Doncaster victory by a nose over Shogun Lodge (hopefully they are swapping stories tonight), and her dazzling five length victory in the All Age that took my breath away.

With Makybe Diva and Let's Elope we've been gifted with three bona fide all time legend mares within 15 years.

We were blessed.

Terrible news!

RIP U champion!!!

Talkback Forum

Racing And Sports offers our users the chance to get involved with spirited discussion about major racing issues on your Talkback Forum. They may include chatter about racing matters, issues relating to the website, sporting conversation, betting matters and more. Please be aware that Racing And Sports now moderates Talkback to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to. The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing And Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users.

Latest Posts